A904 complete rebuild.

-

CLAY72dart

Reaction score
Wondering if I can get some people behind me to help me rebuild this A904 transmission. Starting with the kit I need. What numbers and where can I find them on the transmission to locate the year it was produced.

image.jpg

This is the book I plan on using to rebuild it.

Wondering if I can get some people behind me to help me rebuild this A904 transmission. Starting with the kit I need. What numbers and where can I find them on the transmission to locate the year it was produced.

View attachment 1716064241

This is the book I plan on using to rebuild it.

Numbers on the edge of the case above the trans oil pan, driver's side.

You really need Tom Hand's book.... best thing out there to rebuild bar none. There's a decoder on the stamped numbers in the book

Amazon product ASIN 1613253354
20221211_231610~2.jpg

20221017_113529~2.jpg

I purchased the book it will be here Friday with prime shipping thanks.

2B3A3099-101D-490C-80A5-004A205BC30F.png

Is this a proper kit to do a full rebuild? Or should I take it apart prior to buying.
I will take pictures of everything along the way.

will take pictures of everything along the way.

There are a couple of DIY rebuild threads in here that might be helpful.

The kit appears correct based on the year code of your transmission.

Is the transmission known to you? Curious as to the reason for the rebuild.

Good luck

There are a couple of DIY rebuild threads in here that might be helpful.

The kit appears correct based on the year code of your transmission.

Is the transmission known to you? Curious as to the reason for the rebuild.

Good luck
I was drifting in the dart which probably was my first mistake drifting in a 50 year old car. But I lost third gear and it’s hard into reverse. I’m thinking it’s the front clutch.

I was drifting in the dart which probably was my first mistake drifting in a 50 year old car. But I lost third gear and it’s hard into reverse. I’m thinking it’s the front clutch.
At some point during this it was also low on fluid and I put more in but I’m not sure what the true problem is.

I purchased the book it will be here Friday with prime shipping thanks.

View attachment 1716064257
Is this a proper kit to do a full rebuild? Or should I take it apart prior to buying.
I will take pictures of everything along the way.
I wouldn't get anything yet until the book comes. It has some recommendations, I believe. Between those two books you will have, you've got it licked.

Yes I have a DYI thread going right now I kind of dropped the ball on it damn near a month ago but I'm going to pick the ball up and start running with it here within the next week. I'd look at definitely pulling it apart first and then ordering the parts. Especially if you have time..
If you have a local shop that sells transmission parts I would go there before I'd go online because generally they build generic kids to fit a lot of models and some models they don't fit and if you have a shop you can go to you can just get the parts you need... Usually cheaper too..
They're quite easy to rebuild....
The thousands of people that are rebuilding their engines on this forum and that is a lot more finickier than rebuilding an automatic transmission. Ya almost can't get it wrong...

Okay I’ll wait do you think I should buy upgrades clutches if I’m going to be hard on the trans?
It's all in the book, but probably so. I generally steer clear of kits already put together and put my own together. That way I'm not constrained by someone else's decisions that may be based on economics, rather than quality. If that makes sense.

Yes I have a DYI thread going right now I kind of dropped the ball on it damn near a month ago but I'm going to pick the ball up and start running with it here within the next week. I'd look at definitely pulling it apart first and then ordering the parts. Especially if you have time..
If you have a local shop that sells transmission parts I would go there before I'd go online because generally they build generic kids to fit a lot of models and some models they don't fit and if you have a shop you can go to you can just get the parts you need... Usually cheaper too..
They're quite easy to rebuild....
The thousands of people that are rebuilding their engines on this forum and that is a lot more finickier than rebuilding an automatic transmission. Ya almost can't get it wrong...
Where is this thread i tried to find it but I can’t.

There is also an old school Chrysler video on rebuilding. I used the video and the book when rebuilding one for the first time. If you PM me your email address, I'll email you a copy. It's nice to be able to stop, go back and re-watch areas. I did that a bunch. Oh, and what everyone says...keep it CLEAN!!

IMG_20200506_182907.jpg

Where is this thread i tried to find it but I can’t.

Here

(ignore the trolling)

It's all in the book, but probably so. I generally steer clear of kits already put together and put my own together. That way I'm not constrained by someone else's decisions that may be based on economics, rather than quality. If that makes sense.
Okay cool.

What RRR said. Follow the book / do research and figure out what your dealing with before you spend $$. I use Don's book, the ATSG book, TSM and a Motors Transmission Manual for the diagnostics... Plus the best Torqueflite people on the planet roam the halls of this site so spend some time in the search button as you start figuring things out. Not sure what your timeline is

Good luck

-
Back