Acceleration hits a dead wall

-
yeah definitely not a fuel issue. I got a new bulb for my timing gun and started the car up. no timing marks were visible during idle so the leads are definitely flipped.
Did you find TDC with a piston stop yet and MARK the balancer?

Also turns out my early style distributor clamp is such a PITA to set initial timing with since I don't have a rare 7/16" distributor wrench to get to that bolt below the distributor when it's installed... after taking it out several times and trying to shift a tooth on the dist gear I got fed up and quit for the day. Ordered a newer style clamp so that i'm not limited to that narrow adjustment window.
:mad:

but at least I know it's not a fuel issue now. Thanks to everyone in this forum whose given me lots of ideas and knowledge to work from. I'd never have gotten this far.

Update:
Got my later style distributor clamp installed with #1 cyl at TDC and rotor pointed at #1. Fired right up. Ran excellent while I was setting initial timing. I was about to put the vacuum hose back on the distributor and then all the sudden it died on me. Quick test showed its no longer getting spark from the coil. So I think I fried another HEI ECU.

Update:
Got my later style distributor clamp installed with #1 cyl at TDC and rotor pointed at #1. Fired right up. Ran excellent while I was setting initial timing. I was about to put the vacuum hose back on the distributor and then all the sudden it died on me. Quick test showed its no longer getting spark from the coil. So I think I fried another HEI ECU.
Did the thermostat fix the overheating issue You had?

You don't need that "rare" 7/16 distributor wrench". Might that make life easier? Might. But absolutely"need? No. I actually went the other way with my distributor swap.... I had the new style and went to the old style. (In my case I also eliminated lean burn, yeah mine is a bit newer)

-
Back