Add your abody driveshaft length for quick reference

-
49.75 for a '65 Barracuda stock mounts stock rear leaf 904/8.75 rear. Close enough to 65Fs' manual trans measurement.

I have a 72 Dart with a 904 and a 7 1/4. I plan on using a spool mount V-8 k frame to install a 360 and a 727 and will use an 8 3/4 rear. What length driveshaft will I need?
Thanks,
Frank

ok so not to threadjack but can anyone tell me how long my driveshaft should be for a 318/904 to a 7 1/4 rear for a 73 duster? does anyone know if the splines of a 73 3 speed manual are the same as a 904 in other words would a driveshaft out of a 225/6 3 speed manual 7 1/4 duster physically work with a 318/904 7 1/4 rear end ? thanks, im sure there is a thread on this but i cant seem to find one...

Splines are different for 3 speed manual (a230) and 904 not sure about length.

To make this easier to figure out. The 3spd/904 use the same slip & the 4 spd/727 use the same yoke. The info you need when figuring lengths or swapability is,wheel base,what transmission & what rear end. The 4 spd,3spd & 904 are all about the same length from bell housing @block to end of tail shaft. The shaft is measured from center of joint to center of joint. The engine size doesn't matter because the trans mounts in one place & is factory set via the cross member.

Hi I have 72 Duster with 7 1/4 inch diff im changing it to an 8 3/4 inch diff . I run a 904 trans behind my v8 ... does my drive shaft have to be shortened and if so by how much ?
Thank you
Tony

I'm a little late on this thread but hope this helps someone.
My 65' Valiant 200 coupe w/904 & 7.25 is untouched from factory with c/c driveshaft length of 51 1/2". This is dead accurate as I just finished pressing in new U-joints.
BCP

I currently have a '68 Dart with a 904 and 7 1/4. I'm going to possibly swap in a 489 cased 8 3/4 soon. Can my driveshaft be modified to fit? I'd assume I'd have to have a shop cut it, balance it, and install a new yoke. I have a pdf with all different driveshaft lengths but I didn't catch anything for a 904/8.75 in a 111in wheel base car. Anyone have this setup?

What would the length need to be on 65 Barracuda with a long-tail 4spd OD and a 7.25 rear?

What would the length need to be on 65 Barracuda with a long-tail 4spd OD and a 7.25 rear?

68 barracuda,440-727, stock location on trans. mount,dana 60 reworked truck rear-end, 1350 front yoke, big spicer u joints. 43.5 inches center to center of the u joints just did it -perfect fit!------bob:supz:

Just fyi for 72 Dart 360 a-500 overdirve trans 8 1/4 = 46 inches, a Dakota shaft has the right yoke and rear u-joint just needs to be shortened

My 68 Barracuda with a 727 trans. and 8-3/4 rear, everything in stock location took a 44.5" shaft.

For those asking how long a driveshaft you need it's as simple as slipping the yoke in the transmission, pulling it back 3/4"~1" and measuring center to center of the u-joints. Make sure the car is sitting level and on all 4 wheels. There are be production tolerances so IMO it's always best to measure YOUR CAR so you know you have it right

My 68 Barracuda with a 727 trans. and 8-3/4 rear, everything in stock location took a 44.5" shaft.

For those asking how long a driveshaft you need it's as simple as slipping the yoke in the transmission, pulling it back 3/4"~1" and measuring center to center of the u-joints. Make sure the car is sitting level and on all 4 wheels. There are be production tolerances so IMO it's always best to measure YOUR CAR so you know you have it right

That is the way I determined length for my 1967 Barracuda. I subtracted 1". I'm running a 408" (360 block) stroker with a 727 and a Dana 60. My length came out to be 43.75" center of U-joint to center of U-joint. We did find variations in yokes so we fabbed the new driveshaft with the same yoke we used for our measurement.

This thread is for reference only! Do not ask what size shaft do I need! The OP is asking everyone/anyone with an A-body, with a driveshaft that fits, next time you are under your car, to list the u-joint center to u-joint center and the combo.

1) Car model/year wheelbase (if known)(108" or 111")
2) Engine (small block/big block)
3) Trans (904/3 speed OR 727/4 speed)
4) Rear (7 1/4, 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 9 1/4 or Dana 60)
5) Your driveshaft length

72 Plymouth Duster

904 Transmission with 8.75 rear, 7260 yoke.

Mancini XHD Leaf Springs, which are a Mopar Performance XHD Spring with a 5/8" eye-bolt. (68-72 340 HP A-Body, BB B-Body & E-Body). There are stickers on each spring reading Chrysler Race Spring p4510268 right, p4510269 left.

With these springs, I could not use the stock A-Body Front Spring Hanger as the eye-bolt hole is too small.

Mancini sold me the AR Engineering Front Spring Hanger with 5/8" holes and the dual-location option (stock or 1.5" drop). This is considered the "extra-long hanger" as it extends about an inch back from the stock A-Body eye-bolt location. Also, the passenger side needed a 1/8" thrust angle shim.

So, these de-arched springs are considered 1" over stock height, I've gone with the upper 1.5" drop eye-bolt hole on the AR Hanger, and a 1" lowering block on top of that (plus 4* pinion shim), theoretically bringing the car to 1.5" lower than stock.

My wheelbase is approximately 109" now.

My driveshaft length is 51-1/8", measured from the 904 tail-shaft input to the center of the rear yoke, subtracting 1".

Attachments

• ar035.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 685
-
Back