Advertised as Kentucky Fried Chicken original recipe

-
1723432997588.png

5 years ago. I am still among the living. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for remembering.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but a good friend of mine had 3 open heart surgeries in a 2 year period. The first one was for a valve replacement, about 6 months later he went to hospital via ambulance with heart attack symptoms and it turned out to be an aorta that was very close to bursting (he was LUCKY to live through that), and the last one was almost a year later. He went in for a follow up on the second operation, and the doctor told him the valve they put in was not working properly, so they had to go back in. He is doing OK now. That was about 4 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but a good friend of mine had 3 open heart surgeries in a 2 year period. The first one was for a valve replacement, about 6 months later he went to hospital via ambulance with heart attack symptoms and it turned out to be an aorta that was very close to bursting (he was LUCKY to live through that), and the last one was almost a year later. He went in for a follow up on the second operation, and the doctor told him the valve they put in was not working properly, so they had to go back in. He is doing OK now. That was about 4 years ag.
Amazing what they can do, but they can still screw up, too. I'm more attuned now to press reports of someone who passed away due to "complications" from heart surgery.

We had KFC for supper last night. It the worst tasting and was only luke warm after waiting 1/2 hour after we had ordered. Won’t be going back to that place ever again. Kim

We had KFC for supper last night. It the worst tasting and was only luke warm after waiting 1/2 hour after we had ordered. Won’t be going back to that place ever again. Kim

I told you. It’s terrible now and is still killing people. If I’m going to die from it I want the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago. Same with the she-itty French fries at McDonald’s.

Try "Mary Brown" chicken, -its very similar to KFC, but bigger pieces, and, to me tastes better than the KFC I loved and remember years ago.
Mojo fries are great.

Sorry, thought it was a chain store, and it is.
It's a Canadian chain, now that I checked.
It may get down there .
Cheers

Last edited:
There is a Grocery store chain here called Dillons (now owned by Kroger). They have a great deli area, and they cook amazing fried chicken. In fact, I would compare it to what KFC used to be. A whole chicken (2 legs, 2 breasts, 2 thighs, and two breasts) only costs $8, and it is GOOD!
I told you. It’s terrible now and is still killing people. If I’m going to die from it I want the Kentucky Fried Chicken of 30 years ago. Same with the she-itty French fries at McDonald’s.
No kidding. I remember when McDonalds fries were always great. Nowadays, it's 50 / 50 at best that you will get good fries.

I agree with the fact that KFC used to be better 20+ years ago.
However, it seems that the pieces have gotten smaller and the fries are lousy.
The gravy is not too bad, but again, 20+ years ago it was better.
So, what has changed?
One thing that I do know for certain is that the oil that they use is different from that of 20+ years ago.
I work at the factory that produces the oil that KFC and Mary Brown's uses.
(This is Canada only)
I do know the differences between the 2, but I cannot elaborate on the ingredients.
Let's just say that Yum! (KFC) is a very high quality and expensive type of Canola oil, and so is Mary Brown's, but they aren't exactly the same.
We have a big contract with both of them and let's just say that we make a lot of product for both every week.
And the quality controls are very stringent for both, especially Yum!/KFC.
So let's turn the clock back to 20+ years ago, and the product we made for Yum!/Tricon/KFC was actually a hard shortening in 2 Kg bricks, 10 to a box.
I'm not sure what the ingredients were, but we made a crapload of it every week.
And that was the days that Non-Hydrogenized oils were just coming into vogue, and this shortening was Hydrogenized.
This is maybe why the chicken tasted better back then, but who knows?
Also, we don't have control over the actual cooking temperature that the restaurants use, so that is also a factor to consider.
As for Mary Brown's chicken, it is very good with bigger pieces than KFC for sure.
The fries are okay, I don't like the ''tater wedges'' that they are so proud of, and the gravy sucks.
I've done this before, go and buy a bucket of Mary Brown's chicken, gravy at KFC, and fries from McDonald's.
On a side note, we just got a Church's Fried Chicken here in town, and it was quite good.
Definitely big pieces, the fries were decent, and the gravy was okay.
The buttermilk biscuit was really good as well.

Also Church’s owns Popeyes so I’d imagine the use the same oil and ingredients. I haven’t tried Church’s yet but I’m not a big fan of Popeyes. Kim

Also Church’s owns Popeyes so I’d imagine the use the same oil and ingredients. I haven’t tried Church’s yet but I’m not a big fan of Popeyes. Kim

I had Popeyes at a truck stop out by Dragway 42 and it was delicious. I had it at two places in pittsburgh and it was terrible. The one place was taken over and he fired everyone that worked there but I haven’t been back.

Colonel Sanders originally franchised his chicken recipe, selling it to restaurants. Regular sit-down restaurants, with real plates, silverware and glasses. The fried chicken these restaurants offered was Colonel Sanders' recipe (and maybe biscuits and gravy, can't remember), but the rest was whatever the restaurant offered. One such restaurant in Richmond, Kentucky, was "The Colonel" restaurant. I ate there several times when I was a child. Its building is still there, but the restaurant there now (or at least the last time I was there) has nothing to do with Colonel Sanders. It's also kinda rundown compared to what it used to be.

The fast food version of Kentucky Fried Chicken came later, and the name "KFC" still later. Colonel Sanders sold his interest in Kentucky Fried Chicken for a couple million dollars around 1970 or so, but he continued to be a spokesman for the company until he passed away.

His original restaurant was in Corbin, Kentucky on a major north-south highway (route 25 or 27, can't remember). Did a good business until Interstate 75 was built seven miles away and his business dropped to almost nothing. Broke, he began selling franchises, and eventually the business made him wealthy.

The KFC in Corbin has a Colonel Sanders "museum," with some of the furniture from the original restaurant/motel/gas station. Harland Sanders Café and Museum - Wikipedia

My mother's family was from Kentucky, and my mother and aunt were both Kentucky Colonels. Their father (my grandfather) was also. That was an honorary title available to anyone with the right connections. No military service necessary.

So let's turn the clock back to 20+ years ago, and the product we made for Yum!/Tricon/KFC was actually a hard shortening in 2 Kg bricks, 10 to a box.
The words you're looking for are 'beef tallow'. Same goes for McD's fries.

I stopped in a roadside diner a few years back, I couldn't even tell you what state it was in. I ordered a burger and fries and as soon as I bit into a french fry, I time-traveled back to a McDonalds in about 1983, and it was great, and I don't even like fries that much. There is CLEARLY a difference.

Clearly, the changes mandated by our illustrious government and their food pyramid are benefitting the public health....
1723556770371.png

So let's turn the clock back to 20+ years ago, and the product we made for Yum!/Tricon/KFC
1723556892854.png

I worked at Pizza Hut right when Tricon Global took over. We were hand-making dough every day, hand-cutting vegetables, serving 5% beer, and had a video game or two in the corner. And we were f'en packed every Friday Saturday and Sunday, and almost packed every other night for dinner.

Then came the frozen dough pucks. I spend a day on the crapper any time I eat it.
And the pre-cut veggies (so Taco Bell and KFC could use the same stuff).
and the 3.2 beer.
and the wage cuts.
and greasy pepperoni.
and so on.

Within a year, the store was deserted on a Saturday night, and the busiest we ever got was during lunch buffet. Corporate ownership, ruining yet another American Great.

In the early 1970’s after KFC I went to work as at Eat n Park restaurants a well known sit-down family restaurant. I personally unloaded and stocked the freezers with beef slabs off the trucks. On morning shifts I would cut X amount of fat and X amount of good beef off these slabs and twice grind it. I would then feed it into a patty making machine and make both 1/4 pound and thinner meat patties. 100’s of them per shift. The car-hops would be outside the freezer decoring 100’s of strawberries for our strawberry pies. Great times back then. I was up to around 2.25 an hour by then.

I stopped in a roadside diner a few years back, I couldn't even tell you what state it was in. I ordered a burger and fries and as soon as I bit into a french fry, I time-traveled back to a McDonalds in about 1983, and it was great, and I don't even like fries that much. There is CLEARLY a difference.

Clearly, the changes mandated by our illustrious government and their food pyramid are benefitting the public health....
View attachment 1716288702

View attachment 1716288703

I worked at Pizza Hut right when Tricon Global took over. We were hand-making dough every day, hand-cutting vegetables, serving 5% beer, and had a video game or two in the corner. And we were f'en packed every Friday Saturday and Sunday, and almost packed every other night for dinner.

Then came the frozen dough pucks. I spend a day on the crapper any time I eat it.
and the 3.2 beer.
and the wage cuts.
and greasy pepperoni.
and so on.

Within a year, the store was deserted on a Saturday night, and the busiest we ever got was during lunch buffet. Corporate ownership, ruining yet another American Great.
Into the ground! Kim

View attachment 1716288702

View attachment 1716288703

and the 3.2 beer.
and the wage cuts.
and greasy pepperoni.
and so on.

There was no beef tallow or animal fat in the product we made for Tricon/Yum!, just Canola oil and Palm oil with other ingredients to make it harden and be mixed thoroughly.
This was in the early 2000s when I first started working there.
I personally ran the ''10/2'' machine for a few years off and on, and it was a pain in the ***...
And the shortening tasted somewhere between soap and wax when produced.
Yes, we had to do a taste test every hour! (as well as moisture and weight of the bricks etc.)
We have always been a ''Kosher'' plant, so no animal by products or ingredients are used in our production.
Remember, this is in Canada, so the U.S. might have had different rules.
BTW, I always liked the Kentucky Fried Chicken in the U.S. more than in Canada.
And I don't like the ''Extra Crispy'' version either, Original Recipe is what I like.
And chicken sandwiches?
I don't care for them, I prefer bone in chicken...

-
Back