All Plugs Fouling on Right Bank

-
Good story about a bad situation!

If I'm understanding that right, I intentionally did that once, to add vacuum ports.
Slightly different, I added a vacuum advance port to a TQ that did not have one. On my first attempt I put it up a little high.oops, I fixed it.
On another one, an old Holley, I added a 4-corner idle to it. Well the passages were all there, I just had to put the discharge ports in, and figure out how to put fuel in the circuits.That 750 is still on my engine today.
When I first started experimenting, with adding idle-air to a big-cammed engine, to get the T-port sync worked out, I fabricated a device to add air to the PCV system. Then by calculating the area of the additional bypass air, I then could back-calculate the hole size for drilling twins through the T-blades.At that time, I was still stuck on leaving the factory ignition-timing more or less alone. As time went by,I learned that the factory timing wasn't even good for factory engines;even lawn mower engines have more initial timing than any SBM ever had. Of course, after that epiphany, the holes were no longer required.
Yeah so more rambling.......

Last edited:
Check it out ... I soldered up the holes. Dropped the solder in from the bottom, enough to start to blob thru the other side. Then I pinned the blob on the other side down with a quick stab of the soldering iron. Careful filing of the excess solder to both sides to not nick the valves, and I'm done!

image.jpeg

Did you chamfer the holes first?
If not, I highly recommend that you start over.
I did. When I was done, I tapped the solder on both sides and it felt solid. Your instructions were great. I also found online another guy with the same problem with an RC airplane carb who did the same thing. That, plus a beer, emboldened me to try it. I'm touching up the intake manifold now and putting the carb back on, then calling it a night. I'll fire it up tomorrow.

I did. When I was done, I tapped the solder on both sides and it felt solid. Your instructions were great. I also found online another guy with the same problem with an RC airplane carb who did the same thing. That, plus a beer, emboldened me to try it. I'm touching up the intake manifold now and putting the carb back on, then calling it a night. I'll fire it up tomorrow.

Ahhhh, that liquid courage.

Drink a fifth and you'll be porting heads in no time!!

That's how I started. A fifth of Wild Turkey and I was off.

Ahhhh, that liquid courage.

Drink a fifth and you'll be porting heads in no time!!

That's how I started. A fifth of Wild Turkey and I was off.

ugh. I'm a Southern Comfort man myself. Wild Turkey and the like always had too much bite for my taste.

ugh. I'm a Southern Comfort man myself. Wild Turkey and the like always had too much bite for my taste.

I never turned down Southern Comfort. About the only thing I didn't drink was schnapps, duck farts, blow jobs and other girlie drinks.

And I tried to shy away from Tequllia, but got burnt by that a couple of times.

NO!!! Too "Ta Kill YOU" (Tequila) for me!!!!! Me and Jack Daniels.
Yes You Must finish this thread, Mr clifftt! :thumbsup:

Ok. So before I mounted the carb, I boned up on the choke since that was an issue. I found it wasn't opening all the way, because the bimetallic coil was literally scraping inside the intake. So I ground a little more clearance and made sure it wasn't binding anymore.
I mounted the carb, started it up, and she idled on her own! No having to give it extra throttle to keep it running. I threw the old Penske tach on it. She was idling around 800, although a little rough. Just turning the idle mixture screws an eight of a turn, it was responding, a good sign.
A quick goose of the throttle, the accelerator pump would shoot and the engine responded fairly well, not great, but at least it didn't stumble. So I've got some adjusting to do...
I t was raining pretty good here in the Bay Area today, so I embarked on changing the driver's door pins and bushings. By the time the rain let up, it was already 4:00 when I first started it up, not much time before it started to get dark. I'll be messing with the carb during T'giving time. I'm feeling pretty good now. I'll keep you posted.

-
Back