Another car fire around three miles from my house.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This stinks

IMG_3793.jpeg

Oh damn. I hope they're able to salvage it. It sure doesn't look good.

That sucks, looks like that one is going to have alot of damage.

We have had a few EV cars catch fire here. I think they are waiting for someone to die before they do anything.......

I heard a story…

Old dude sitting at a light…
People signaled he had a problem..

Hopped out and cut the upper rad hose and put it out

Dunno if it’s true

I heard a story…

Dunno if it’s true
Its not a bad idea. Certainly would slow it down if nothing else. (Might want to be wearing a glove so not to scold yourself too bad?)

Hopefully I'll never have to remember that. But if so?

I saw an old slant 6 Valiant on fire at an intersection once but this was way back in the 90s...

FIRE Extinguisher in everyone's car. I've had one in every hobby car I've owned. Changed them every 4/5 years. Never had to use one, but it's there. Damn shame, this guys baby gone.
An ABC unit as large as you care to carry!

My wife and I came across a 70’s Chevelle smoking on the fog line near Jasper Texas. (We were driving her pickup) Young owner/driver standing nearby unsure what to do!?
I popped the hood and disconnected the battery and dumped my drinking water on what appeared to be smoldering wires. Other passers by dumping theirs too and we got it out. None of us had an extinguisher on us!
Then went on our way but think we prolly saved the car.

I always have a small one in orange car. It’s not an ABC and should be!

We used to have two types of racers at Keystone. Those that didn’t carry extinguishers and needed them. And those that carried them and rarely needed them. I stopped being Johnny on the spot after using my third one and never being asked if they could replace them. I didn’t have enough money to continue buying new ones for their use.

FIRE Extinguisher in everyone's car. I've had one in every hobby car I've owned. Changed them every 4/5 years. Never had to use one, but it's there. Damn shame, this guys baby gone.
Good idea. Never know when you may need one.

$25 at HArbor Freight. (can't believe I said that) They are First Alert brand though.

The downside to ABC extinguishers is that they are MESSY. Sure, I'd rather have a mess and stop the fire, but I'm starting to invest in "Element" brand extinguishers and fire blankets.

A fire blanket works great if you catch it in the incipient phase, and Element extinguishers leave no residue. (they are quite pricey, though)

One thing to remember if you do have an ABC, is that they need to be agitated regularly -- once a month or so -- to prevent to agent from settling and caking up at the bottom. Shake it, turn it upside down, bang it around a bit with the palm of your hand.

Halon is perfect for car fires, which are almost always electrical or flammable liquid in nature. Very expensive, though. The only times I've seen Halon in an application have been in server rooms with lots of sensitive electronics.

I heard a story…

Dunno if it’s true
That's why is older farm type guys carry a SHARP pocketknife. Sometimes we carry a bigger knife. Fire extinguishers are good TOO!

Halon is perfect for car fires, which are almost always electrical or flammable liquid in nature. Very expensive, though. The only times I've seen Halon in an application have been in server rooms with lots of sensitive electronics.
Yeah, they're expensive- but a heckuvalot cheaper than a burndown. ABCs are cheaper, but messier- and you gotta remember to maintain them like Righty Tighty said. Otherwise you'll just be blowin' propellant.
On a side note, years ago we were sittin' at a car show having a couple of cold ones when a 442 driving by suddenly died and started smoking... he pops the hood and it goes "Whoof!". We ran up and put it out with the last of our beers. Got towed away; then a couple hours later the guy shows up and plops a fresh case down in front of my car, saying "You guys saved my car. This is the least I can do." Only problem is his car smelled like a dive bar now- smoke and stale beer. Better than the alternative, by far.

Yeah, they're expensive- but a heckuvalot cheaper than a burndown. ABCs are cheaper, but messier- and you gotta remember to maintain them like Righty Tighty said. Otherwise you'll just be blowin' propellant.
On a side note, we were sittin' at a car show having a couple of cold ones when a 442 driving by suddenly died and started smoking... he pops the hood and it goes "Whoof!". We ran up and put it out with the last of our beers. Got towed away; then a couple hours later the guy shows up and plops a fresh case down in front of my car, saying "You guys saved my car. This is the least I can do." Only problem is his car smelled like a dive bar now- smoke and stale beer. Better than the alternative, by far.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Many of our Classics have such old, brittle, cut up, really old wiring that is a disaster waiting to happen, add in Modern Fuel pumps, Stereo's, ignition systems etc... and it's just too much to handle and fires start. Need I say the amounts of crazy under hood temps from Headers, Strokers and with the added increase of ethanol making under hood temps out of control, It's getting a bit nerve racking.

The only time I needed an extinguisher, I was in my driveway. I have two big ones in my garage, and plenty of room in the back seat if I need to bring one with.

i have a halon system in the engine room of my fishing boat altho highly effective but also dangerous and they are outlawed here now .

-
Back