Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Now that sounds like great advise. mmmmmm

Dont over do it and get those holes to leak'n.

I think I'm beyond the worries about bleeding. The swollen gums are SO FRICKIN' tender though. I'm not sure if an infection has set in. I've been checking for signs of abscesses and am unsure. There are nodular bumps that hurt a lot. It may just be swollen tissue. Yesterday I tried piercing one of them with a needle hoping it would release pressure but it was so painful that I gave up. I ended up popping another pain pill instead.

Last edited:
Getcha one of the large $5. chocolate shakes from dairy queen.
It will keep ya from feeling starved.
You probably won't feel like moving for a spell afterwards.
No meat flavored shakes though.

They should have gave you antibiotics to be taking with those pain pills.
Dentist can easily leave bits of broken bone or teeth by accident as they are prying
the teeth out. Specially if you heard cracking and they didn't come out in one piece.
You will not know for sure till the swelling goes down some and it will try to poke thru the
shrinking/ healing gums. Hope this is not the case and you are just irritable from the experience in general.
People hate Dentist for good reasons. Lol.

I got the control box back from MSD today. According to their note it failed their testing and they had to replace one diode and one resistor. With shipping back to me they charged $43.05. I'm glad to have it back but not sure when I'll get around to re-installing it.

This is what you need:
1.5KE16A-E3/54 Transient Voltage Suppressor

It is essentially a Zener diode. It blocks electric current until the voltage reaches a certain level and then it conducts pretty well, keeping the voltage from rising much further.

This particular diode is designed to cut off voltage transients by shorting them to ground. It can swallow as much as 65 amps for a short while (microseconds) and dissipate 6.5 Watts continuously if properly cooled. You won't be properly cooling it but under normal conditions, it won't be conducting any current at all (by approximation) and therefore no power will be dissipated.

You connect it across the power input to the MSD box. The white line on the diode goes to + and the other end goes to -. Real simple. Should this diode fail, it will short and the generator will fry it. It can't hurt your gear. I promise.

Newark is the same group as a company called Farnell in the UK. They deliver over night via UPS at a fixed cost of $8, and not only to companies. I suspect Newark has a similar policy.

Check it out.

Getcha one of the large $5. chocolate shakes from dairy queen.
It will keep ya from feeling starved.
You probably won't feel like moving for a spell afterwards.
No meat flavored shakes though.

No DQ here. Runza has them though.
My menu now includes mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs.

mashed-potato-monster_zps2c051b29-jpg.jpg

53-jpg.jpg

I didn't realize how much I used to enjoy eating.

The pain is still not subsiding. It seems to get worse when I'm trying to sleep. When I DO eventually drift off, I'm woke up every hour or so. My tongue seems to be my worst enemy. It has a mind of it's own. I am having a heck of a time keeping it from touching those sensitive areas. I think it's trying to kill me.

921294993-club-object-maori-grimace-tongue-jpg.jpg

View attachment mashed-potato-monster_zps2c051b29.jpg

View attachment 53.jpg

View attachment 921294993-club-object-maori-grimace-tongue.jpg

Last edited:
They should have gave you antibiotics to be taking with those pain pills.
Dentist can easily leave bits of broken bone or teeth by accident as they are prying
the teeth out. Specially if you heard cracking and they didn't come out in one piece.
You will not know for sure till the swelling goes down some and it will try to poke thru the
shrinking/ healing gums. Hope this is not the case and you are just irritable from the experience in general.
People hate Dentist for good reasons. Lol.

I wish I would have pushed for the antibiotics before I'd left the dentist. Now I'm hoping that a constant regiment of Listerine will help. I would have started it sooner but the thought of alcohol on all those freshly exposed nerve endings didn't seem like a good idea.

Last edited:
I feel for you, I really do.

I guess this down time allows me more time to check out build threads such as yours. Anders. It's good to see you're making progress. As hard as it can be here to find parts, I am impressed with the amount of effort you've expended to come up with them.

Last edited:
This is what you need:
1.5KE16A-E3/54 Transient Voltage Suppressor

It is essentially a Zener diode. It blocks electric current until the voltage reaches a certain level and then it conducts pretty well, keeping the voltage from rising much further.

This particular diode is designed to cut off voltage transients by shorting them to ground. It can swallow as much as 65 amps for a short while (microseconds) and dissipate 6.5 Watts continuously if properly cooled. You won't be properly cooling it but under normal conditions, it won't be conducting any current at all (by approximation) and therefore no power will be dissipated.

You connect it across the power input to the MSD box. The white line on the diode goes to + and the other end goes to -. Real simple. Should this diode fail, it will short and the generator will fry it. It can't hurt your gear. I promise.

Newark is the same group as a company called Farnell in the UK. They deliver over night via UPS at a fixed cost of $8, and not only to companies. I suspect Newark has a similar policy.

Check it out.

Zener diode? Zener diode? That sounds suspiciously like a flux capacitor. Why do I have the feeling that when I go into Radio Shack and ask them for the part they'll all fall on the floor laughing at me? I envision one of them attaching a 'KICK ME' sign on my back as I turn to leave with my head hung low. LOL.

Thanks for the info Anders. It'll be a few more days (at least) until I get around to the install. Maybe I should get one for each of our vehicles running MSD boxes. So, you think we'd be able to put a battery charger on the cars without risking damage to these electronic controllers then, right?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the idea. If you get a spike in the voltage, the diode will snub it so the voltage going into the MSD box doesn't go too high.

I can't promise anything, I'd need to be under your hood with an oscilloscope to really know what's going on but my experience tells me that an over voltage occurs that kills the box.

Can you remember which pole you connected first? Plus or minus?

Zener diode? Zener diode? That sounds suspiciously like a flux capacitor. Why do I have the feeling that when I go into Radio Shack and ask them for the part they'll all fall on the floor laughing at me? I envision one of them attaching a 'KICK ME' sign on my back as I turn to leave with my head hung low. LOL.

Thanks for the info Anders. It'll be a few more days (at least) until I get around to the install. Maybe I should get one for each of our vehicles running MSD boxes. So, you think we'd be able to put a battery charger on the cars without risking damage to these electronic controllers then, right?

Radio Shack has laughed at some of my requests...

I checked out Radio Shacks assortment on the web but I couldn't find the right kind of diode there. If you're planning on going there and asking them, what you want is a TVS diode. Transient Voltage Suppression diode. And it should be a 16 Volt one, the highest power rating they have.

If I wasn't on sick leave I'd see if we have any at work and send you one in the mail but I probably won't be anywhere near that place until February at the earliest.

I have the key, though, so I could actually swing by on my way home tomorrow and see what we have on stock. They're 50 cents so as long as they're not booked for a planned production run, it won't be an issue.

John, sorry to hear your in so much pain. It might be a good time to take it easy and catch up on some Halloween Movies. I know I like this time of year and watching all the old one's that they run non-stop.

Yeah, that's the idea. If you get a spike in the voltage, the diode will snub it so the voltage going into the MSD box doesn't go too high.

I can't promise anything, I'd need to be under your hood with an oscilloscope to really know what's going on but my experience tells me that an over voltage occurs that kills the box.

Can you remember which pole you connected first? Plus or minus?

I'm not 100% certain but I believe I attached the positive cable first. That's the sequence I usually use because I'd always heard the ground should be attached last.

Last edited:
Radio Shack has laughed at some of my requests...

I don't mind it when they look at me funny when I ask for things that reveals my ignorance about electronics but I find the questions about who cuts my hair annoying.

Last edited:
I checked out Radio Shacks assortment on the web but I couldn't find the right kind of diode there. If you're planning on going there and asking them, what you want is a TVS diode. Transient Voltage Suppression diode. And it should be a 16 Volt one, the highest power rating they have.

If I wasn't on sick leave I'd see if we have any at work and send you one in the mail but I probably won't be anywhere near that place until February at the earliest.

I have the key, though, so I could actually swing by on my way home tomorrow and see what we have on stock. They're 50 cents so as long as they're not booked for a planned production run, it won't be an issue.

The nearest Radio Shack is 25 miles away in Columbus, Nebraska. I'll ask them about those diodes the next time I make a trip over there.

Last edited:
John, you doin ok?

Compared to Gophzilla I'm doing fine. - Just not having a whole lot of fun with this whole teeth thing. My stomach isn't reacting well to the new softened diet. I don't want to get graphic but Teresa bought a roll of that yellow & black CAUTION tape to stretch across the bathroom doorway. Apparently the combination of Sloppy Joes, eggs, and pudding become toxic after they pass through your intestinal tract.

Last edited:
John, sorry to hear your in so much pain. It might be a good time to take it easy and catch up on some Halloween Movies. I know I like this time of year and watching all the old one's that they run non-stop.

Thanks R4Sedan. They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I think I might be able to bench press a bus after this is all over.

I've never been a big fan of most horror movies. I guess it's the whole concept of watching people knock the murderer/serial killer/monster unconscious and then turning their backs on them. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going to happen next. It's sort of like handing over the keys to your Hemi 'Cuda and your liquor cabinet to your teenage son and his friends. It's not going to end well.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned too. Been quiet uncomfortably long.

edit: Finally confirmed my guess that your profile pic is from Bullitt, 'cuda.

I wish the reason I'd been quieter on this thread was because I'd been really busy but I've had very little new stuff to post. It feels as though life is on hold right now.

The 'bad guy' actor from the Bullit movie was Bill Hickman. Most people don't realize it but he was a fairly significant actor/stuntman that had roles as other drivers in chase scene movies. He drove a Pontiac LeMans in 'THE FRENCH CONNECTION' and a Pontiac Ventura in 'THE SEVEN-UPS'.

carchase-jpg.jpg

maxresdefault-12-jpg.jpg

His hair was a lot longer in this shot.

billhickmanl-jpg.jpg

He played the part of General Patton's driver in the movie 'PATTON'.

patton-10-jpg.jpg

When James Dean was killed driving his Porsche, Hickman was first on the scene and Dean died in his arms.

jd-porsche-jpg.jpg

That's Hickman on the left.

images-hickman-dean-jpg.jpg

Some of Hickman's other notable film & TV credits as actor, stuntman and/or stunt driver includes: VANISHING POINT, HICKEY & BOGGS, THE LOVE BUG, POINT BLANK, JAILHOUSE ROCK (as the guard who whips Elvis), THE HINDENBURG, WHAT'S UP DOC?, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, THE WRECKING CREW, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., THE FLIM-FLAM MAN, THE GREAT RACE, THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER, CODE TWO, THE LAWLESS YEARS, HOME FROM THE HILL, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE TWILIGHT ZONE episode Ring-a-Ding Girl, HONEY WEST, BRANDED, BONANZA, BATMAN (as a Henchman of The Penguin), COLUMBO, THE F.B.I., TO PLEASE A LADY, THE FAR HORIZONS, THE FUGITIVE, THE OUTER LIMITS episode The Mice, A FINE MADNESS and REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE with real life pal James Dean.

In real life I'm more akin to the actor that asks if "that thing got a Hemi in it?"

capture-jpg.jpg

View attachment carchase.jpg

View attachment maxresdefault (12).jpg

View attachment billhickmanl.jpg

View attachment patton-10.jpg

View attachment jd-porsche.jpg

View attachment images hickman dean.jpg

View attachment Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Good to see you back, John and thanks for the Hickman bio! I think I've seen a few of those flicks although movie titles were "translated" beyond recognition in those years. Nowadays movie titles often aren't translated at all; we Swedes all know English well enough to understand them anyway, especially the target audience.

As an example, the first Bond movie, Dr No, was translated into "Agent 007 with the right to kill". Awkward when the movie "License to Kill" came out in 1989 ...

Btw, that 356 Dean was driving looks deadly just looking at it. No wonder he killed himself. Roll bar? Nah.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe I attached the positive cable first. That's the sequence I usually use because I'd always heard the ground should be attached last.

That is the procedure I was taught too. The thing is that (and now we get a little theoretical) since the cars ride on insulating rubber tires, they can get charged with static electricity. That means that two cars can have very different electrical potential which is really an excess of electrons in one of the cars. That happens to helicopters, for instance, and jets fueling in air. They need to neutralize the potential difference before any jet fuel is involved or you can get a nice fireball in the sky.

The difference can be several thousand volts but the energy level is small so the little spark that occurs when that difference is leveled out contains very little energy and can often not be seen in daylight. Jets and helicopters are in a different league.

Anyway, when the plus terminal is connected first, (half of) the excess electrons that are present in one of the cars rush over to the other car to equalize the potential. They take whatever way they can find to ground (minus) and the current can be significant although brief. Quite enough to fry a diode and pop a resistor.

Opening up a wide and straight connection from plus to ground is the way to eliminate this problem.

Or equalizing any potential difference first by connecting the grounds briefly before beginning the actual jump start procedure.

I'm a little surprised MSD haven't protected their gear better but these things are tricky and a re-design is costly. It should be a warranty repair, though, if it falls under normal use, which I would say jump starting does.

thanks for the Hickman bio!

I was surprised to find out what a storied career Hickman had. I'd always figured him to have been just some no name actor. When I stumbled across the info about him I was impressed. He not only rubbed elbows with a lot of the most famous Hollywood types, but he did so while being a dyed-in-the-wool car junkie. He truly did race through the streets side-by-side with Steve McQueen. He passed away 29 years ago and although most folks may not recognize his name, many a hot-rodder will be enjoying his work for generations to come.

I think I've seen a few of those flicks although movie titles were "translated" beyond recognition in those years. Nowadays movie titles often aren't translated at all; we Swedes all know English well enough to understand them anyway, especially the target audience.

As an example, the first Bond movie, Dr No, was translated into "Agent 007 with the right to kill". Awkward when the movie "License to Kill" came out in 1989 ...

I remember watching Japanese kung-fu and Godzilla movies with my friends when I was young. The translations usually seemed a bit odd. Sometimes we'd turn off the sound and make up our own dialog. It was hilarious.

You're most likely aware that there's some controversy in the U.S. about language. For years the government had been making moves to add Spanish translations on documents, signs, etc... Then businesses started following suit (partially because of government regulations). When you use the telephone you often have to hit certain buttons if you wish to hear messages or options in English.

I'm one of those folks that wants to see America stay an English speaking country. I'm of German heritage. I have no more desire to see this country become bilingual English/German than I want to see it become English/Spanish. Although I've never traveled to other countries, I believe I would be being disrespectful if I didn't do my best to communicate in their native tongue and to assimilate with the population. - And I believe I would do my best to become fluent with the native language of whatever country I would move to.

All that having been said, I'm curious of your opinion regarding language. Are there any language issues in Sweden? Why do so many folks there speak English? Is there an immigrant influx there that is creating language barriers?

Last edited:
-
Back