Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Looks good....it should have a good future. Good job!

Thanks Mike. I see that you're a new member. It's a pain in the butt looking through old threads such as this one when the pictures don't show without clicking on the links. When they updated the site's software last month it screwed up all the previous posts. There are a bunch of really good old threads that are worth checking out but it's difficult to search through them since the change. Welcome aboard.

Someone was selling a '69 Barracuda convertible project at the Omaha car show last weekend. It looked like the same color as the one you've got as your profile pic. It was across the parking lot from where I had the funnycar and I could see that it looked sort of crusty and the top was all torn. I don't know how much they were asking for it but it seemed like a lot of folks were checking it out.

Last edited:
I'll "hello kitty" you right in the snot locker!!!!! :elmer:

Well, I didn't figure you for a Powerpuff Girls kind of guy!
:rofl:
6359531873479763461289022750_Powerpuff_Girls.png

Last edited:
I spent some time touching base with the shop in Grand Island that's working on the Roadrunner and Mike at MRL.

I was told that the health issue those guys have in Grand Island is still lingering. I hope they're not stringing me along but I'm starting to suspect their dog has eaten a lot of homework in the past. My son is back in Nebraska now and I'm hoping the car will be done before he has to return to Des Moines.

The KB Hemi should be here within a few months so I thought it best to call Mike and make sure we've got all our ducks in a row. It's like a lull in the storm now but things are likely to get real busy real fast if we don't have some things figured out. It's a good thing I called him. There ARE a few things we do need to act on soon. We'll be trying to contact Keith Black tomorrow to make sure there's an oiling provision for our lifters and to check on crank clearance for the oil system. Mike's recommending having KEVCO custom fab the pan if we do go with a dry sump. It'd be nice to get the plastic mock up block here soon along with the new blower. Spencer's still undecided on fuel delivery. We need to do more research on options.

One thing I did notice that I thought was odd was this red Roadrunner, It had a 440 6BBL, air grabber, and go-wing but it did not have the rally dash. I wondered if it was a clone but never checked the fender tag. I'd never seen a '70 Roadrunner before that didn't have the round gauges. With all the weird things that pop up I thought it might have been a special order.
View attachment 1714935405
I had a '70 Road Runner coupe that had two options on it
(I found the build sheet under the back seat, and the car was bone stock when I got it): the 727 trans and the stripe package. It had the rally dash. So I am 99% sure it was not optional.

I was always aware that there was the performance difference between the two but didn't know the specifics. I REALLY didn't know that the scooped hoods weren't available on Barracudas. With the requirement at car shows that everyone have their hoods open, I never noticed if any of the third generation Barracudas had flat hoods. I imagine some had been swapped.

One thing I did notice that I thought was odd was this red Roadrunner, It had a 440 6BBL, air grabber, and go-wing but it did not have the rally dash. I wondered if it was a clone but never checked the fender tag. I'd never seen a '70 Roadrunner before that didn't have the round gauges. With all the weird things that pop up I thought it might have been a special order.
View attachment 1714935405

I have never seen one either without the "charger" dash, as I call it. :)

I had a '70 Road Runner coupe that had two options on it
(I found the build sheet under the back seat, and the car was bone stock when I got it): the 727 trans and the stripe package. It had the rally dash. So I am 99% sure it was not optional.

I've seen some clones before but never one that someone added the air grabber, go-wing, and a 440 6BBL. That's a lot of investment for a wannabe. I would have thought they'd have gone the extra mile to have swapped clusters. The car was gorgeous. Maybe it was a re-body if the original was too rusted?

Last edited:
First, Obama gets re-elected then Hillary starts looking like she'll get into the white house.
Now...

The Power Puff Girls are awesome!

I guess it's official. I've entered into some kind of alternate universe.
meanwhile-in-an-alternate-universe-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have never seen one either without the "charger" dash, as I call it. :)

Now I'm really kicking myself. I heard that there was a Charger at the show that was a factory column shift. I already knew that some existed but they're few and far between. I should have looked to see if it had the rally dash. Chrysler did have some oddballs out there.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, as cartoon superhero pastel girl trios go they are awesome.

Step 1) Shut off your car.
Step 2) Crack open the door to your garage.
Step 3) Walk outside.
Step 4) Take several deep breaths.

Last edited:
With my son back in state, we spent some time cleaning the garage. To most it probably still looks like Katrina aftermath but to me this is about as clean as it's gonna be for a long time. I had room to get the funnycar back in. I even had enough ceiling height to flip the body up.
IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

Spencer has been becoming more and more upset that the Charger project has been at a standstill for so long. Not only has there been no progress but sitting under the evergreen tree had begun to fill the interior with pine needles. Surface rust was appearing because we haven't finished the bodywork yet and it's in unsealed primer. I would have liked to have had it stored inside out at the farm but thought the danger of having it stolen was too great.

SO, it was time to devote some effort in the Charger. We started out by pulling the K-frame out and getting it ready to send off to Hemidenny for modification. It only took about 20 minutes to drop it and another 10 minutes to strip the control arm, rack, and brakes off of it. Cleaning up surface rust before bagging it probably took us 30 minutes. - But it's ready to be mailed tomorrow.
IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

Next on the agenda was the pair of frame connectors I'd welded on. We hadn't coated them so they needed to have some corrosion sanded off. My son bought a product from Eastwood designed to be sprayed inside of frame rails. He blasted the crap out of them today and will be putting another coat on tomorrow. We've got POR-15 to cover the exterior that we'll apply tomorrow too.
IMG_6943.JPG

The fiberglass fenders I'd bought have been taking up a lot of garage space. Now seemed like a good time to swap out the ones from AMD. One nice thing about disassembly is that nothing is rusted in place. - And without a finished paint surface on the car we didn't have to worry about paint chips or scratches. I'm sure I had the pair off in less than a half hour.
IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG

The stupid pine needles were everywhere. I think the most time we spent today was blowing them out of the car and vacuuming them out of crevices.

It's usually hard to contact Ken Black. (He's Keith Black's son and runs the business now that his dad is gone) We have been trying to call him for the past few days and haven't been able to talk with him yet. Maybe we'll have better luck tomorrow.

Now I'm really kicking myself. I heard that there was a Charger at the show that was a factory column shift. I already knew that some existed but they're few and far between. I should have looked to see if it had the rally dash. Chrysler did have some oddballs out there.

Yep, i remember years ago parking my 68 charger at a medical mall where i ysed to get allergy shots, some older gent comes up to me and says he has one just like it in the same parking lot at the other end, so i go to look. This one he had was a bit roachy, interestingly had a bench seat, column shift, and a 225 slanty in it. I never seen another like it.

This slanty charger had the rallye dash. I believe that was a standard deal in the chargers from 68-70. I seen a few 70 RRs with rallye dash and no clock or tach. Just a circular block off plate and 2 thin lines drawn on it one going up and down, one going sideways like a set of crosshairs on a rifle scope.

images-18.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back