Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
That's a very good solution IMO. I can definitely see myself doing this. I'd love to get rid of that ugly motor sticking out and getting in the way of everything.
Good job!
Who's the welder? You or your son?

That's a very good solution IMO. I can definitely see myself doing this. I'd love to get rid of that ugly motor sticking out and getting in the way of everything.
Good job!
Who's the welder? You or your son?

I haven't scoped out an A-body to see how much different things would fit. From the measurements that we took it seemed impractical to use the 2-speed motor that protrudes further away from the firewall. It was about 2" longer. The additional length would have required us to space the motor further inside and caused more issues with wiper arm alignment. Our Charger originally had a 2 speed but we'll convert the wiring to the 3 speed when we re-wire the car. They bolt up the same on a B-body. I'm not sure on an A.

Moving the wiper motor behind the firewall was going to interfere with the heater box too. It didn't look like we'd have had to do much more than notch one of it's corners but we haven't tried to fit the enclosure back in the car after moving the motor. I'd assume that something similar would need to be done on any other car. Our Charger was originally air conditioned so the size of our heater enclosure may have been larger than a car without.

I'm the welder so I'm the one that needs to apologize for the quality of the welds. Any remnants of POR-15 really screw with welding and even with the dash out I had to make overhead welds while lying on my back.

Last edited:
If you can weld car sheet metal without burning through, you're better than me.
Wouldn't it be possible to simply flip the motor around provided you could make a mounting bracket that allows free movement of the arm.

If you can weld car sheet metal without burning through, you're better than me.
Wouldn't it be possible to simply flip the motor around provided you could make a mounting bracket that allows free movement of the arm.

That's not a bad idea. I think you could still use two of the mounting points and possibly bridge over to the third. Of course instead of your wipers moving back & forth, - they'd be moving forth & back. LOL.

Last edited:
Zero progress today. Spencer left last night and Teresa planned a birthday party here for one of the grandmonsters. Tomorrow we'll have to repair the aftermath. Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and Teresa's grandkids. - I'm not sure which is most destructive. Anyone got some spare Ativan?

John, Check out my thread. in it I spoke about my Vintage air system. It was fairly cheap, easy to install, takes up only about a foot of firewall space. it's the basic heater and defrost modle. I can look up the exact modle number for you if you wish. I agree with snakebit. NEVER go without something to defrost the windshield, you'll regret it later.

Zero progress today. Spencer left last night and Teresa planned a birthday party here for one of the grandmonsters. Tomorrow we'll have to repair the aftermath. Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and Teresa's grandkids. - I'm not sure which is most destructive. Anyone got some spare Ativan?
You forgot locust. Locii? Grasshoppers.

John, Check out my thread. in it I spoke about my Vintage air system. It was fairly cheap, easy to install, takes up only about a foot of firewall space. it's the basic heater and defrost modle. I can look up the exact modle number for you if you wish. I agree with snakebit. NEVER go without something to defrost the windshield, you'll regret it later.

Thanks ariffle. It's been awhile since you'd mentioned the Vintage Air system in your build. I'd totally forgotten that you installed one. I went back and searched through your thread and found it again. (it's such a pain finding stuff now that the pics don't show)

Now, you didn't go into great detail about the install and you didn't provide many photos. Was this system a universal fit or was it A-body specific? I didn't see the control panel but maybe it's later in your thread.

So far it looks like the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your hose routing. I know you'd mentioned that you were going to run them behind the inner fender.

Last edited:
You forgot locust. Locii? Grasshoppers.

The list of things I forget is longer than the list of things I remember. At least I think it is. I'll know I've crossed the point of no return when the law shows up because I've forgotten to put pants on before going outside.

Last edited:
You have laws against that? You need to move over here.

Got any places for rent adjacent to that Swedish Bikini team?? :)

Regardless of the laws, I don't really want to reveal to the whole world mother nature's lack of generosity. :(

Last edited:
Thanks ariffle. It's been awhile since you'd mentioned the Vintage Air system in your build. I'd totally forgotten that you installed one. I went back and searched through your thread and found it again. (it's such a pain finding stuff now that the pics don't show)

Now, you didn't go into great detail about the install and you didn't provide many photos. Was this system a universal fit or was it A-body specific? I didn't see the control panel but maybe it's later in your thread.

So far it looks like the way to go. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of your hose routing. I know you'd mentioned that you were going to run them behind the inner fender.

John, the Model number is #506101. also known as the GEN II with DEFROST kit. it blows heat out of an actuated door out of the bottom and or thru two round ports that you connect the tubing/ducting hose up to your existing defrost vents on top of the dash. as far as the controls go, I left the original control unit/knobs attached to the dash face so it holds the original look. the controls that came with the kit were mounted under the bottom of the dash for easy reach but are not noticeable unless you're looking down or are physically sitting in the car. wiring was a breeze as was the plumbing.
Since I smoothed out the firewall and ditched the original heater box, it made it fairly easy to mount the heater in the middle above the trans. hump. I mounted mine just off to the passenger side because I HATE hot feet when driving and my wife is ALWAYS complaining of being cold. Problem solved. The water lines were NOT run thru the inner fender as I once planned, instead I just an the lower than the original position. It doesn't matter where you run them as long as you have room to rout the hoses so they won't get in the way of anything. I can't take a picture of the hose location as i'm not with the car for a couple weeks but I do have some old pictures of the heater unit and controls I hope it helps. By the way, this is the same unit that has been used in ALL of my brother's builds as well as numerous others that we had our hands in working on.
20160526_201421.jpg
20160526_201421.jpg
20160526_201511 (2).jpg
20160526_201421.jpg
20160526_201511 (2).jpg

not sure why there are multiple pictures posted, but then again the new software isn't all de-bugged. apparently... probably user error though...

Last edited:
I forgot to tell you that there are numerous control options that you can purchase that look and mount differently. I just used the one that came in the kit because it's black, can be mounted under the dash and I'm a cheap *** and didn't want to spend more money. L.O.L!!!

I forgot to tell you that there are numerous control options that you can purchase that look and mount differently. I just used the one that came in the kit because it's black, can be mounted under the dash and I'm a cheap *** and didn't want to spend more money. L.O.L!!!

Thanks for the pics ariffle. The '68 Charger has cable operated controls that are located beneath where the dash pad overhangs the dash. It's common to those B-bodies of that era. I'll have to check and see if they offer some controls that are a direct fit. - If not, maybe we'll find a location for the others.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine stopped by yesterday. He's the one with the '69 Coronet project. I thought I'd put the word out that he's trying to sell the 383 he'd pulled out of it. It came with the car and ran before being removed a few months ago. Casting date is late '70 so it wasn't original. He's decided to build a 440 instead. Unknown miles, Holley Street Dominator intake, most likely needs freshening. Located in Seward, Nebraska. He was looking to swap for a nice '69 Coronet front bumper but will sell it for whatever he can get out of it. - probably cheap.

A buddy of mine stopped by yesterday. He's the one with the '69 Coronet project. I thought I'd put the word out that he's trying to sell the 383 he'd pulled out of it. It came with the car and ran before being removed a few months ago. Casting date is late '70 so it wasn't original. He's decided to build a 440 instead. Unknown miles, Holley Street Dominator intake, most likely needs freshening. Located in Seward, Nebraska. He was looking to swap for a nice '69 Coronet front bumper but will sell it for whatever he can get out of it. - probably cheap.

John, I think I sent you a PM about the 383

I'm back to polishing parts in the garage. A buddy dropped off some bright work from his 1930 Dodge sedan. With no rust trails on the headlight rings we thought they were stainless at first but I began to see a trace of gold when I hit them with the buffing wheel. I should still be able to get a decent shine on them but there are a few dings and some light scratches & pits that will have to stay unless he wants to re-plate them.

IMG_6984.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
IMG_6986.JPG

In addition to the headlight rings I also had the rings from the cowl lights, the hood pulls, and one door handle that needed buffing. He'll get me the rest of his parts later.
IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6991.JPG

IMG_6993.JPG

Keeping in mind that I had to be gentle to avoid burning through the chrome, I still think the parts turned out well.

After a few hours of staring at the parts while buffing I began to feel as though they were starting to stare back.

IMG_6998.JPG

On the Charger project I took more pictures as the car progressed so that I could send them to my son that was stationed overseas. The Barracuda was a little different. My original plan was to fix any of the major issues that kept it from being streetable. Then I was going to drive it as-is until the day came when I had more time to refinish it. So I didn't do as much documentation when I started on it.

First things first. The worst problem I had was with the wiring. The previous owner told me that the lights had stopped working on the car shortly before I arrived to pick it up. With the immediate goal of getting the car home, I didn't have the time to investigate what was going on until we returned to Nebraska.

So... what did I find? - I found that the guy was a lying bastard. Are there actually any honest people selling cars on eBay? The lights hadn't mysteriously stopped working. It was obvious that they hadn't been working for some time. There were no bulbs in the tail lights. Most of the wiring was disconnected. There were missing fuses. The headlight switch was not only disconnected, but needed replacing also. The dimmer switch was disconnected and the harness that attaches to it was melted. Most of the dash bulbs were missing. The blinker switch was junk. Now, if the guy had been straight with me and told me that I was going to have to go through the lighting circuit, I wouldn't have been upset. But giving me the BS just sort of pisses me off. I'm just glad that we hadn't had to drive the car to get it back home.

It took me a couple of weeks to get the wiring sorted out. Most of that time was spent looking for whatever parts I needed and then waiting for them to arrive once ordered online or from the local Big A auto parts store.

I wasn't taking new pictures of the car at this time. But I was doing a fair amount of work to it. The car had no window cranks, interior door handles, or arm rests. When I bought replacements, I discovered what the problem was. When they upholstered the door panels they added about an inch of foam padding to them. So with the added thickness you couldn't get the window cranks to turn without digging into the padded panels. The door latch handles wouldn't return completely to their flat locations because of the extra padding either. Although I hadn't planned on replacing them, I knew that I needed to get different panels now.

The dash was missing several parts. There were no defroster vents. It didn't have a radio. There was no knob/handle on the glove box door. The speedometer wasn't working, nor were any of the other gauges. The horn didn't work.Not only did the dome lights not work, they weren't even in the car. No seat belts. No heater. None. The heater box below the dash was busted up with no heater core, fan or control cables. Just a hole in the firewall. No ashtray or cigarette lighter. The finish piece under the steering column was missing. The dash plastic surrounding the radio had been cut for an aftermarket radio and had a large chunk broken off. There were no kick panels. The vents in the doors were gone. None of the interior sheetmetal behind the front seats was there. The fold down panel that was supposed to cover the spare was missing. The glove box liner was shot. The rear seat would not fold down. All of the rubber door/window/trunk seals needed replacing. The same with the window fuzzies. The keys did not fit the doors or trunk.

Now as discouraging as the list of issues was beginning to look, I didn't care. After all, I finally had my fastback. Sure, I was upset for someone selling me a car that was supposed to be fully functional when they knew it wasn't. BUT, I finally had a fastback.

Naturally I had to fix any of the things that kept the 'Cuda from being roadworthy. I started with the wiring. Oh... - that was after I pulled that butt-ugly steering wheel cover off. Most of the wiring issues stemmed from missing wires or things disconnected. After searching online for a schematic, I muddled my way through the repairs. I wish that there hadn't been so many different color coded wires. Well, actually I'm glad there was because it would have been a lot harder tracing things out. But, I wasn't able to keep the color coding correct. I didn't have violet wire with a black stripe or pink with a black stripe, etc, etc...

I found a guy in Milford, Nebraska that had a '67 notch being parted out and picked up an extra dash, the defroster vents, an extra grill surround that had all of the P L Y M O U T H lettering intact, a set of red door panels, the ash tray, and all of the parts to complete the heater assembly. I think the parts from him ran me $300. Everything needed heavy duty cleaning but I was thrilled that I was able to get most of the parts that I needed so quickly.

The red door panels had to be dyed. Because my inspiration for the Barracuda was based on memories of drag cars, I chose to go with a silver to simulate aluminum. As far as I know it wasn't an interior color option but I felt it would blend in well with the charcoal colored upholstery. I didn't want to fab actual aluminum panels because this was going to be a street car styled to look like it might have been on the strip.
View attachment 1714701921View attachment 1714701922
I NEEDED TUNES! Sure, it may not have been a necessity but it just ain't right to ride around in a muscle car without listening to some Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, or something! So I bought me a radio. I didn't need (or want) anything too fancy. - But I wanted it to sound good. I wanted simple controls without the micro sized buttons that are on most of the newer radios. I chose to go with a Retrosound radio in part because it was really difficult to find a radio that even came close to fitting the dash. It sounds really good (to me) when combined with the 6"X9"s in the rear and the 4"X6"s in the front. I really didn't want to cut holes in the door panels that I'd just put on. Luckily while I was looking for kick panels I found new A-Body replacements with the speakers already built in.
View attachment 1714701923View attachment 1714701924
Can you share where you found the kick panels with the speakers! I need those too!! thanks~

Thank you!!! Man, I'm just getting started reading your thread! love all the pics and the info! I'm just starting on a 67 coverable as we speak. I love the decals, may have to steal one or two... I do have a 408 we are putting in the car too.

408 motor.jpg

Thank you!!! Man, I'm just getting started reading your thread! love all the pics and the info! I'm just starting on a 67 coverable as we speak. I love the decals, may have to steal one or two... I do have a 408 we are putting in the car too.

Thanks for the kind words Cleary67. Your motor's looking pretty sweet already. If it's got as much torque as mine you'll definitely want to tie the frame rails together - especially on a convertible.

Those kick panel speakers are a decent deal when you consider they include the speakers. My car came without any kick panels so I was really pleased.

I noticed that you're a newbie to the site. There are a gazillion build threads on here and good info in each of them. One thing I've learned is that it's nice to create your own thread and have it as sort of a notebook to track your progress. - But to be safe you should try to keep a copy elsewhere. You've probably noticed that you have to click on links to view the pics in older posts. It wasn't always that way. A recent upgrade to the site's software is responsible.

Anyway, welcome aboard. Hopefully you'll be able to find any parts that you may need for the 'vert from members here.

Last edited:
Saying "Hello John...".. Been a damn long while,to respond... Actually working on the Scamp,trying to paint trunk jambs ,this week. I like ,the work on the Funny... Watched "Aloha,Bobby & Rose..." Some great vintage 70's F.C. passes at night. The Camaro in the movie,seen in life.. It's actually,pretty quick... Watching Indy 500 ,for the first time in 30+ years.. Man ,I missed it...

Saying "Hello John...".. Been a damn long while,to respond... Actually working on the Scamp,trying to paint trunk jambs ,this week. I like ,the work on the Funny... Watched "Aloha,Bobby & Rose..." Some great vintage 70's F.C. passes at night. The Camaro in the movie,seen in life.. It's actually,pretty quick... Watching Indy 500 ,for the first time in 30+ years.. Man ,I missed it...

'Bout time you got off your keester. - Last time I remember you were working on the hood.

You've probably got 'Benny & the Jets' running through your head after seeing the show again. The guy I'd bought my '69 Camaro from was trying to clone it into a copy of the car from the movie despite the fact the year was wrong. He managed to find out which company had made the flares and put a set on it. Most guys today would consider fender flares taboo but they did look good on that car.

I never developed much of an interest in the Indy cars. Back in the 70s one of my cousins worked for a company that performed non-destructive testing on the parts for some of the teams. He said he could get me into the pits for the 500 but I passed on the opportunity. Looking back, I kick myself now.

Glad the Scamp is getting some of the dust stirred off it.

Last edited:
-
Back