Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
1967 Cuda - you seem like quite the man of knowledge! I appreciate your time and effort you take on your car and your writing about it! God knows I barely have time to work on the car with my dad let alone write anything half way smart about it! If you don't mind if I pick you brain in the near future I know my dad I would love it! As we are both learning as we go.... I guess ya never know how to do something till you just do it!! Thanks again for the welcome to the board!!

1967 Cuda - you seem like quite the man of knowledge! I appreciate your time and effort you take on your car and your writing about it! God knows I barely have time to work on the car with my dad let alone write anything half way smart about it! If you don't mind if I pick you brain in the near future I know my dad I would love it! As we are both learning as we go.... I guess ya never know how to do something till you just do it!! Thanks again for the welcome to the board!!

OK, I didn't realize today was opposite day.
Seriously though the big brains are located elsewhere on this site. I play around with a lot of different toys but I defer to others when it comes to advice. I will always try to give help if I can but a lot of times that'll mean referring you the guys that really know stuff.

Me.
tv-channel-little-head-small-24132.jpg

The rest of the guys on FABO.
big-brained-and-loving-it.jpg

The best advice I have is to have as much fun with your build as you can. Make it the way you want and avoid wearing pajama bottoms at Walmart.

Last edited:
Hahah! Awesome! - And I don't wear pajama bottoms and avoid Walmart at all cost!!
Q and A..

what headers you recommend? ( 408)
brake booster needed? ( I have disk up front and drum rear)

Hahah! Awesome! - And I don't wear pajama bottoms and avoid Walmart at all cost!!
Q and A..

what headers you recommend? ( 408)
brake booster needed? ( I have disk up front and drum rear)

Those questions tend to get a wide variety of responses from members.

When it comes to headers almost everyone will agree that you should seek a set that has heavy flanges. - They tend to give a better seal without distorting. Headers are such a pain to install that it's preferable to have a set that needs as little maintenance as possible. If money was no object I'd look for stainless steel otherwise I'd go with ceramic coated headers. There was a thread on FABO awhile back where various guys discussed how well their ceramic coated headers held up. It seems that they all are prone to rust no matter which company you buy from. My money is stretched between several different projects so the bottom line for me may not always be what performs the best. I chose a set of 1&7/8" primary ceramic coated headers from JEGS that I already had hanging on the wall here. I'm sure there are threads that discuss the benefits of different designs but ones such as the Tri-Y headers get pretty pricey. The general consensus seems to be that tti makes the best headers for Mopars. We put a set of those on our Roadrunner. On our Charger we're likely to have a custom stainless set made.

The brake booster question will get you a number of different opinions too. One of the cheapest sources is 'Right Stuff Detailing'. I chose to set up my Barracuda with manual 4 wheel disc brakes. I like the feel, there's less clutter in the engine bay, and it saved me some $$ to boot. I'm sure that some others would disagree with my choice but I'm happy with it. Rear disc conversions are pretty easy to install and you'll see an improvement in braking over the drums.

I like my 'Cuda. - But there probably isn't a single component chosen for it that was the best that money could buy. Some of my choices would have been different if cash wasn't a concern. Even when you're pinching pennies you're likely to spend more than you originally intended.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in, Cleary67, but as John indicated, there is sooooo much knowledge on this site and most topics have been covered in depth by many persons in various threads over the years. Searching the forum and the appropriate sub-forums will almost always turn up a plethora of threads on most any topic. Heck, even searching on Google often yields hits from this site in the top five results.
I've also learned tremendously from reading other members' build threads, like John's here. Tips and tricks on everything from fabricating to upholstering.
And most people on here are more than happy to share their knowledge and tell you the particulars of their build.
Oh, and welcome aboard!

Cleary67, you'll meet lots of nice folks on this site. Some are a bit nuts. - Take Anders for example. - Totally insane. You better check his build thread while he's still kickin'. After he tries out his homemade electro-rust remover we may be sending condolences to his widow in Sweden.

YOU're calling ME nuts?! And what's wrong with releasing a little hydrogen gas in the basement?

All I know is that if I ever find myself in a padded cell there's a good chance you'll be next door.:eek:

Last edited:
Then we can tap weird messages to each other thru the brick walls. Kinda like Hannibal Lecter and his late cell-neighbor.

YOU're calling ME nuts?! And what's wrong with releasing a little hydrogen gas in the basement?

Now thats funny. Hey Anders why not try rust removal via chelation. All you need is 1 part molasses to 9 parts water, drop your steel and iron parts in for a few weeks, then take em out, and power wash em or scrub em with a wire brush and rinse with hot water. Then blow dry with compressed air and coat with primer before they flash rust, Or use straight vinegar and do the same thing. The molasses and water is good and cheap for submerging bigger parts, and when your done its great for your lawn as its biodegradeable.

Thanks!
Then I know what to get next. :) I'm pretty sure 70 'Cudas are a little harder to find than my '66 Dart, though ... Especially over here.
They packed a new Hemi in the Satellite too. Neat. I know the '66 Chargers aren't anywhere near as popular as the 68-70 ones but still, cutting out the grille like that. They don't exactly lay in droves on the side of the road.

Hey Anders, you should check out the model building threads on Fabo too. Lots of nice muscle cars in 1/24th 1/25th scale. Its an inexpensive way to have one of each.

Yup. I remember 'back in the day' if we saw a car (70-74) with a 'CUDA emblem on it we expected it to be more of a high performance car than one that said Barracuda. Nowadays a lot of cars have been modified or re-badged so it's less of an indicator.

Dont forget the first special 'Cuda model was in 1969. I think they were badged as 'Cuda 340, 383, and 440 depending on engine size. I could be wrong though and there may have been only a 'cuda 440 in 69

1969-plymouth-cuda-440-1.jpg

0605_mopp_01z+1969_plymouth_barracuda+front_left.jpg

Last edited:
Then we can tap weird messages to each other thru the brick walls. Kinda like Hannibal Lecter and his late cell-neighbor.

So which one of us is the Hannibal Lecter type who's likely to eat the face off the other??? I've always thought of myself as more of a Cheetos kind of guy when it comes to finger food.
l-Im-in-your-house...eatin-your-Cheetos.-550x758.jpg

Last edited:
Dont forget the first special 'Cuda model was in 1969. I think they were badged as 'Cuda 340, 383, and 440 depending on engine size. I could be wrong though and there may have been only a 'cuda 440 in 69

Mat, I totally did forget about those 69s. I'm not sure of production numbers but they may be rarer than Hemi Cudas.

Last edited:
We should be getting the K-member back from Hemidenny soon. In the meanwhile I've been sanding the surface rust off of the other components and putting some paint on them.
IMG_6999.JPG
IMG_7000.JPG

I talked to Hemidenny and it sounds like it'll be a few more weeks before we get the K-frame back. I also called the shop in Grand Island to see what's up on the Roadrunner. I guess it's been sitting in Limbo while they've been working on other things. The head cheese was gone. - Must be a big race this weekend. I think I better start putting some pressure on him when he gets back or we'll never get to drive it this year.

I'd like to get the rest of the accessories for the Hemi so that I can finish mocking things up when the K-frame arrives. My son may have deeper pockets than me but he's still saving up for the parts we'll need.

When I called up Spencer today he told me that the Hemi may be later arriving than we thought. It was supposed to be done in July but his finance company contacted Keith Black and was told September was more likely.

I still need to get the engine compartment ready before the K-member comes back from Hemidenny. I'm stripping off the POR-15 we had on it because there are so many weld areas. There are still a few pinholes that need addressed.

IMG_7007.JPG

Spencer was adamant that he doesn't want a heater or defroster today when I talked with him. I guess he's the boss.

To fully prep the engine bay I figured I better pull the fender tag off. Although the screw heads were too worn to turn I was able to grab the screws from underneath with a vice grip. I suppose we're lucky that the tag wasn't corroded worse than it is. I soaked it in paint thinner and then took a wire brush to it. Despite the pits, - it's still fully legible.

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

He will learn the hard way. When he's stranded someplace because of no defrost. It will happen.................. :steering::thumbsup:

I tried my best to convince him. I told him about the heater/defrost unit from Vintage Air that ariffle installed. I pointed out the fact that his car will have dash vents that won't have a function. - And I told him that now would be the time to do the installation while I'm working on the firewall.

He wants us to try to bring fresh air in through the cowl still but operate without a fan.

I guess I need to come up with more reasons before he'll give in.

The '68 Chevelle he used to own didn't have a heating system and he got by with it for several years. He used a dashtop ceramic heater whenever it got foggy inside.

Last edited:
The '68 Chevelle he used to own didn't have a heating system and he got by with it for several years. He used a dashtop ceramic heater whenever it got foggy inside.
Well if he's tried it before, he's probably not going to budge. You could always try convincing him that the Chevys are so poorly welded that there's no way to keep the air flowing through the cowl.

Well if he's tried it before, he's probably not going to budge. You could always try convincing him that the Chevys are so poorly welded that there's no way to keep the air flowing through the cowl.

He's usually a stickler for having everything functional. I was surprised when he didn't mind having all those dash vents non-operational. Despite his claims that it'll be a daily driver I imagine it'll never see rain, snow, or cold weather. That Chevelle he had was no fun in the Winter.

I decoded the fender tag.
IMG_7009.JPG

T4.jpg

T3.jpg

T2.jpg

T1.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back