Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I realize that being a pack rat means that you end up with a lot of stuff you'll never use but now & then it pays off. I was able to swap out a power supply and pair of fans from an old Dell computer and the shop is a happy place again.

So far it seems like the damage was limited to only those items. I'm used to having internet access in the garage and listening to radio, music, and movies while I'm working so the lack of background sound was driving me mad.

I took the radiator to Octavia today and dropped it off. Butch (the owner) wasn't in because he was making a parts run. I'll give him a buzz later and see how it's going. Although the Evans coolant wasn't pristine it still looked cleaner than any others I've ever drained. I imagine there were still some impurities in the water jackets when I put it in.

The radiator IS a 4 core and it's so thick that I only have about a half inch of clearance between the electric fan and the water pump. If I had more room I'd think about attaching the fan to the outside of that shroud I'd built. When I get the radiator back I'm just going to run the fan without the shroud and see how well it works. It won't look as finished as before but it should run cooler. If I had it all to do over again I think I'd try mounting the radiator on the other side of the radiator wall.

I realize that being a pack rat means that you end up with a lot of stuff you'll never use but now & then it pays off. I was able to swap out a power supply and pair of fans from an old Dell computer and the shop is a happy place again.

So far it seems like the damage was limited to only those items. I'm used to having internet access in the garage and listening to radio, music, and movies while I'm working so the lack of background sound was driving me mad.

I took the radiator to Octavia today and dropped it off. Butch (the owner) wasn't in because he was making a parts run. I'll give him a buzz later and see how it's going. Although the Evans coolant wasn't pristine it still looked cleaner than any others I've ever drained. I imagine there were still some impurities in the water jackets when I put it in.

The radiator IS a 4 core and it's so thick that I only have about a half inch of clearance between the electric fan and the water pump. If I had more room I'd think about attaching the fan to the outside of that shroud I'd built. When I get the radiator back I'm just going to run the fan without the shroud and see how well it works. It won't look as finished as before but it should run cooler. If I had it all to do over again I think I'd try mounting the radiator on the other side of the radiator wall.
Yah! Another win for us pack rats....:thumbsup:

Yah! Another win for us pack rats....:thumbsup:

Of all the thousands of things I've held onto I'm sure I've found a use for at least two. I don't usually go away from the garage for very long fearing that Teresa will decide to clean it up for me. Some people watch the show Hoarders on TV for entertainment. I watch it for ideas on how I can store more stuff.

The radiator is done and I picked it up already. He did weld it after all. It may not be a hidden 'work of art' repair but I didn't lose any tubes. The repair area will be hidden on the grill side so the only way to see it is if you crawl under the car. He charged me $10. That includes having it pressure checked before & after the repair. Oh, he guarantees his work too.
IMG_7033.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7031.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, i fit that description. I confess a am a pack rat. I also have thrown parts out, only to kick myself in the A$$ and need them in what seems to be the very next day. I dont throw away nuthin anymore. I try to be more organized that way i can fit more stuff. I built a 27x31 shop, and put a loft in it. Still running outta room.

Yep, i fit that description. I confess a am a pack rat. I also have thrown parts out, only to kick myself in the A$$ and need them in what seems to be the very next day. I dont throw away nuthin anymore. I try to be more organized that way i can fit more stuff. I built a 27x31 shop, and put a loft in it. Still running outta room.

I can't say that I keep EVERYTHING. But I usually find a need for everything I ever get rid of shortly after it's gone. If I got a vasectomy Jessica Alba would likely call me up and ask to have my love child. :BangHead:

Last edited:
I can't say that I keep EVERYTHING. But I usually find a need for everything I ever get rid of shortly after it's gone. If I got a vasectomy Jessica Alba would likely call me up and ask to have my love child. :BangHead:

Ok, well maybe my description was a little extreme. I dont keep broke dick **** that cannot be fixed, or at least used for parts to fix other broke dick ****. Kinda like the smoked 360 crank with spun rod bearings. This thing ran so long that way, that the grooving on #6 was .100" deep, and the bearing was gone. Just silver dust in the pan. It went on the scrap trailer, along with offending rods #5,and#6. The short block i got for pretty much dirt, and is basis for my stroker, so a junk rotating assembly didnt matter.

There actually is a difference between junk and junque. The **** people have saved on hoarders like stacks of newspapers to the ceiling, a cigarette butt collection, etc is junk, my mopar stash is junque.

Last edited:
Ok, well maybe my description was a little extreme. I dont keep broke dick **** that cannot be fixed, or at least used for parts to fix other broke dick ****. Kinda like the smoked 360 crank with spun rod bearings. This thing ran so long that way, that the grooving on #6 was .100" deep, and the bearing was gone. Just silver dust in the pan. It went on the scrap trailer, along with offending rods #5,and#6. The short block i got for pretty much dirt, and is basis for my stroker, so a junk rotating assembly didnt matter.

There actually is a difference between junk and junque. The **** people have saved on hoarders like stacks of newspapers to the ceiling, a cigarette butt collection, etc is junk, my mopar stash is junque.

So you're saying it's time for me to dispose of those piles of belly button lint and ear wax I've been collecting? OK. - But I'm not parting with the jar of toenail clippings.

The Barracuda is back together and running again. No leaks up front that I can see. I lost about a cup of coolant when I disconnected the bottom radiator hose. I'll wait to top the system back off until I have a chance to take it for a drive and see if there are any air pockets needing to be filled.

While I was waiting for the radiator repair I got ambitious and swapped out the bad brake switch I had on the F150. I felt pretty good about the day until the cruise control stopped working on my way to pick up the radiator.

Once again...
481d2286c2c765875c99e6666ba79c50.jpg

Last edited:
Dont forget your magic nose gobblins you stick to the underside of the workbench. Its the booger collectors edition.

Good deal on the radiator, John. I did a similar thing on the oil cooler on my bike. Went to Adamsky's radiator shop in Karlskoga, talked to the grumpiest guy you'd ever meet and ended up paying $6 for soldering, pressure testing and painting the little thing.

Roseanne ,rozannsnadanna!(reference ,to post 3334....) S.N.L.original cast,was cuttingly GOODDD... Don't forget,S. C.T.V.....,

Good deal on the radiator, John. I did a similar thing on the oil cooler on my bike. Went to Adamsky's radiator shop in Karlskoga, talked to the grumpiest guy you'd ever meet and ended up paying $6 for soldering, pressure testing and painting the little thing.

Dang! And I thought I'd gotten a good deal. Anders you've managed to out-cheap me! I don't know how some of these guys manage to make a living with their fees so low. I appreciate that I didn't leave feeling I'd been bent over a barrel when I paid him but I also felt sort of guilty for not paying more.

Last edited:
Well, I think I've more than compensated for the too good deals with all the really crappy ones I've made ...

Streaming video?,PPV?...Just kidding,John... You having any fun,with what YOU actually own?.......Sorry to be a buttpuss ,here.....

Every now & then I find myself having to Google terms that I'm unfamiliar with.
- buttpuss?
- buttpuss?
I thought for sure that you were just making up a new word but I Googled it anyway. Sure enough, - it was there. I need to get out of the garage more before my vocabulary shrinks to the point where I'm only using car terminology.

Dodge - to avoid
Hemi - half
Crank - to apply rotational force
Drag - to pull
Race - a group of people who share similar and distinct physical characteristics
Transmission - the action or process of transmitting something
Differential - producing effects by reason of quantitative differences

Last edited:
Well, I think I've more than compensated for the too good deals with all the really crappy ones I've made ...

My philosophy of buying high & selling low has not been a good model for creating a retirement fund. I've come to realize that anything I need to buy is worth a fortune and anything I want to sell is worthless.

Last edited:
My philosophy of buying high & selling low has not been a good model for creating a retirement fund. I've come to realize that anything I need to buy is worth a fortune and anything I want to sell is worthless.
We should compare notes.

Roseanne ,rozannsnadanna!(reference ,to post 3334....) S.N.L.original cast,was cuttingly GOODDD... Don't forget,S. C.T.V.....,

I never watched SCTV but tried not to miss SNL. Belushi, Akroyd, etc... Used to be a fan of the Killer Bee sketches and always looked forward to see which band they had on.

Last edited:
-
Back