any modern stang owners??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this might bring on a little bashing, but that's O K!

i'm looking for some input from those guys with real experience with these.

thinking of a depreciated out somewhat fun to drive "modern" stang. I like the look of the retro look of the fastback but I know they are plenty heavy like a chally. I don't want the cost of even a first year chally. i'm old school and seem to think V8 manual car for sure.

just wondering what the durability of the 4.6 is? I figure to find an older v8 stang that hasn't been abused will be a chore, decently low miles, and cheap!? ha but there are tons of stangs out there too!

it will be a run around winter car when I don't want to drive the old mopars, take a few trips in when it doesn't make sense to drive the old ram 3500 cummins down the interstate empty, etc.

any "meaningful" comments appreciated!!!!!

I truly loved my 06 GT, very fun to drive. But the build quality on the interior was crap, and the thing squeaked and rattled way more than a 5 year old car with under 80k miles should. And the 5 speed is a garbage trans. And the clutch can barely handle the stock power levels.

As far as the 4.6 reliability, ask a New York cab driver, they routinely run those things to 500k miles....But replace timing chain guides on them 1 time, and you will hate that motor.

Just my .02

And the clutch can barely handle the stock power levels.
And why should a car designer make a clutch to hold more then the stock power levels? You want to hot rod a car you make what ever mods you need to make including the clutch!

And why should a car designer make a clutch to hold more then the stock power levels? You want to hot rod a car you make what ever mods you need to make including the clutch!

When did I ever say I "hot rodded" the car??? You might want to read that again. My stang was 100% stock. The clutch would slip under half throttle, and it would burn under full power, STOCK!

Might want to check your reading comprehension before being snide to a stranger on the internet.

I truly loved my 06 GT, very fun to drive. But the build quality on the interior was crap, and the thing squeaked and rattled way more than a 5 year old car with under 80k miles should. And the 5 speed is a garbage trans. And the clutch can barely handle the stock power levels.

As far as the 4.6 reliability, ask a New York cab driver, they routinely run those things to 500k miles....But replace timing chain guides on them 1 time, and you will hate that motor.

Just my .02
No you should! "and the clutch can BARELY handle the stock power levels" Meaning it can just hold the stock power. You did not say it cant even hold the stock power levels, because it can and does. But when it is modded, power adders then stock power train suffers. And I have a few friends that have that Gen. Stang, none are at "stock power levels". All modded. And you bet, first thing they do is a good clutch.

Kids got 01 gt 4.6 2 valve we supercharged/+meth 525RWHP.

Funny seeing a 2 valve 4.6 beating 3&4 valve new 5.0 mustangs.

4.6 modular engines pretty durable, older ones had 2 valves likemost v8s.
Came in a variety of different ford cars.
For normal street driving shouldn't have any issues on a maintained older 4.6 model.

I had a 96gt 5spd for a daily driver for a while. I loved it. It wasn't very fast by today's standards, but it was fun and I believe I got approximately 24mpg hwy. Can't beat the sound of 40series flowmasters on the 4.6.

No you should! "and the clutch can BARELY handle the stock power levels" Meaning it can just hold the stock power. You did not say it cant even hold the stock power levels, because it can and does. But when it is modded, power adders then stock power train suffers. And I have a few friends that have that Gen. Stang, none are at "stock power levels". All modded. And you bet, first thing they do is a good clutch.

I don't argue with the mentally challenged. The OP asked for opinions from EXPERIENCED late model mustang owners. What year is your mustang, Bullitt?

I had a 96gt 5spd for a daily driver for a while. I loved it. It wasn't very fast by today's standards, but it was fun and I believe I got approximately 24mpg hwy. Can't beat the sound of 40series flowmasters on the 4.6.
that sound comes from the angle of the cylinder banks. Nice sound indeed. 4.6 is a good engine, last longer then the car they are in.

We have a 2011 GT 500.

It only has about 18 k on it, but has been fun...

Luckily the dealer's son talked me into the extended warranty and maintenance plan. He said that with both of them, it covers everything up to 7 years 70 k miles, including windshield wipers and oil changes (and clutches)...

They put a new clutch in at 17 k.... I was expecting them to refuse it and try to charge me, but they covered everything including the clutch, pressure plate, and towing into the dealer... Very pleasantly surprised...

View attachment Car A15 B2.jpg

View attachment Car A16 B2.jpg

I don't argue with the mentally challenged. The OP asked for opinions from EXPERIENCED late model mustang owners. What year is your mustang, Bullitt?
WOW! LMFAO!!!! :wack:

Let's calm down guys...

Everybody has a right to their own opinions...

Opinions are like @ssholes...

Everybody has one, and they're all full of ****....

Let's calm down guys...

Everybody has a right to their own opinions...

Opinions are like @ssholes...

Everybody has one, and they're all full of ****....

O im calm, and im sure Nirvana is as well. We just need to learn to read better. I guess. :burnout:
lol

We currently have a 2007 convertible. 93,000 miles on it. Runs excellent. Clutch works great, still original. Not squeaky by convertible standards. Just a reasonably quick all around great car for 2 people. 2 things I will bring up are, the interior door panel material falls off, due to them using foam between the door panel, and the material. Second, ours is the 3 valve engine. They used the plugs that break when you try to take them out. There are new style plugs out now that don't do that. Ours are the original plugs. We will let the dealer change them when the time comes. They are 100,000 mile plugs. Although this may not apply, when we had to take our Mustang in for a recall, or warranty work, they actually fixed it without a hassle, unlike the lying bastards a the Ram dealership.

My buddy has an '03 Mach 1. Stock clutch is fine. Also has an '04 GT convertible that the motor is wasted in so he's parting it. I've driven them both. The stock GT needs some gear and exhaust but after that, aside from sounding like every other one, I liked it. Trans was ok but I've heard of them breaking when driven hard. The Mach is a blast. Averaged 95mph in it two years ago on my golf trip to VT.

Get a terminator! 390hp 4.6 4v SUPERCHARGED. 03 up cobra. Best bang for your buck. My buddy's runs on stock good years 8.40s I the 1/8th mile.

thanks for all the input!! the supercharged cobra sounds like FUN but i'm sure even an older one will be above my intended budget!

I just want to find a fun v8 stick car that I can drive and not work on. everytime I look under the hood of those modern wonders, I shudder! SO much crap there, but guess necessary!

thanks for all the input!! the supercharged cobra sounds like FUN but i'm sure even an older one will be above my intended budget!

I just want to find a fun v8 stick car that I can drive and not work on. everytime I look under the hood of those modern wonders, I shudder! SO much crap there, but guess necessary!

You can get a cobra for 140 and up. I have seen them with 100k miles on them and they were strong.

You assume to much. Your also an idiot. You read into his statement and assumed.

as I scan a mustang forum, I do see LOTS of add on and upgrades, there is lots of aftermarket stuff and parts available, and that's great. but, since i'm not looking to spend for such, i'm just trying to get a little info on what " stock" will offer me.

2011's are 5 years old already, but still pricey. 5.0 is a great engine, MT82 is hit or miss, mine was a good one. Rear will handle 550+ no problem.

I have a video too but have no idea how to upload it.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 159
as I scan a mustang forum, I do see LOTS of add on and upgrades, there is lots of aftermarket stuff and parts available, and that's great. but, since i'm not looking to spend for such, i'm just trying to get a little info on what " stock" will offer me.

I have owned 8 Fox bodies and one 2000 GT. I know these are "older", however, I'll give you my .02 worth on what I've owned. The Fox bodies ranged from stock to head, cam, gear mods, etc. They all ran great, had air conditioning, and could and were driven daily. They also were not hard at all to work on. The 2000 GT was stock, manual trans except for magnaflow exhaust. For completely stock it ran very well. My only compliant, and one that applies to newer bodies is the lack of headroom. I'm 6' even and the top of my head would occasionally touch the headliner, which drove me nuts. The Fox bodies seemed to have more head room, and engine bay room to work on stuff.

I just want to find a fun v8 stick car that I can drive and not work on. every time I look under the hood of those modern wonders, I shudder! SO much crap there, but guess necessary!

Well. Sir,

??? 'old' what Year range would that be ? do You have a body style preference ??
The 4.6, 5.0, 5.2, & 5.4, were put in so many platforms & have been adapted to
so many platforms !!!

Just curios, as more info needed to post a "meaningful comment".

Oh, Ford Senior Master Technician '2011--- dozens of contacts still current--- mehhh I see You have
moved on to what You want. I'm out.

-
Back