Anybody else run type F transmission fluid

-
Same here. In 1973 went to a Chrysler performance seminar (year before Direct Connection).
I can still quote the guy saying Dextron II is for the guy with a Chrysler Imperial that doesn't want to spill his coffee on the way to work. For all else use Type F.

Agree!

IMG_0828.JPG

Does this discussion mean I can use any type ATF in my Barracuda? If so, why do manufacturers recommend specific types? I've always been very careful to use the manufacturer's recommended ATF.
Been using Type "F" for years in my 340 car and B300 Van (also a 340 installed) and never had a problem. They have after all these years still have a firm shift, which tells be that the clutches are in good condition. My understanding is the quicker the shift, the less ware on the clutch disc, just as in a manual shift when your not riding the clutch. Did not know you could also use it in the 833 gear box and limited slip rear. I do question the limited slip usage, because I believe you may also have to use a additive or does the "F" already have "enough" added?

Soooo can you mix type f with the others?
Meaning if you service the trans and the converter is still full, then replace filter/pan and top of off with f?

Soooo can you mix type f with the others?
Meaning if you service the trans and the converter is still full, then replace filter/pan and top of off with f?

I do mine right from the start. I fill the new or drained converter and then fill The transmission after installing it.

Been using Type "F" for years in my 340 car and B300 Van (also a 340 installed) and never had a problem. They have after all these years still have a firm shift, which tells be that the clutches are in good condition. My understanding is the quicker the shift, the less ware on the clutch disc, just as in a manual shift when your not riding the clutch. Did not know you could also use it in the 833 gear box and limited slip rear. I do question the limited slip usage, because I believe you may also have to use a additive or does the "F" already have "enough" added?

ATF is in the service manual for some A-883 transmissions, but so is straight 140 gear lube. My favorite for them is a mineral based 80W-90 GL-4, which has a lower sulfur content to play nice with brass parts. Synthetic will work well with the updated synchros.
Using Type F in a limited slip differential would be for an extreme use. I'd imagine the clutches would chatter like crazy. It's still oil, so it will lubricate, but a street car needs friction modifiers and EP additives for a long happy life.

-
Back