Anybody else run type F transmission fluid

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Man I wish we had one of these stores locally.
735B2A1A-A523-4E28-80A4-2CEDD218954E.jpeg

I've run it a lot. It firms up the shifts some. That's what B&M trick shift is. Says so right on the back.

I've run type F fluid in all of my cars, dating back to the early 70's. I was told by a lube rep & a transmission builder that type F would do just fine & it was a lot less expensive compared to the "trick shift" stuff.

It's hard to find on the shelves but I think NAPA can order it in for you.

I do, I also get sprayer parts for agri supply.
I'm a preferred costumer, at least I should be.
I might need some parts, so maybe I'll grab a jug.

Our local Walmart even handles type F transmission fluid. I was doing some price checking and this popped up at a great price. I ran type F for years then dextron and I was fighting an unrelated issue on a powerglide and switched back to type F again because the Dextron had a smell like burnt clutches right out of the bottle. With two cars sitting here I would like to grab five gallons or so.

I switched from dextron III to the type F a couple years ago and noticed the shifts firmed up after the change and it seems to last a bit longer than the dextron

Back in the 90's I only ran type F. Rumor was it shifted harder but I cant say I could tell a difference. Now I just buy the universal fluid because I dont care if it shifts hard. But yeah both of my cars have manual valve bodys and they hit hard enough!

Type F is getting to be a nitch to get here. I've always run it in my junk. Use to buy it on 2 gallon jugs at the farm store. They switched to a bigger chain ownership and now don't stock it. Parts house can get it, but, it's not the bulk buy. :mad:

I've run type F fluid in all of my cars, dating back to the early 70's.
Same here. In 1973 went to a Chrysler performance seminar (year before Direct Connection).
I can still quote the guy saying Dextron II is for the guy with a Chrysler Imperial that doesn't want to spill his coffee on the way to work. For all else use Type F.

I did not know this. So type f is fine for all a904 and 727’s?

Type F is just standard hydraulic fluid with a red die added.
That may be true for some, but not all. Type F, at least the stuff I sold, has viscosity index improvers. Basic hydraulic oils don't. Using a hydraulic oil that is thin enough to work in a cold transmission in the dead of winter will likely thin out too much to work well fully warmed up in summer. Some more advanced hydraulic oils have VI improvers, but the common cheap stuff doesn't.

Neighbor ran it in his 70 Cuda bracket car (727). So i ran it also. Used always in ATI built T350/400's. Worked great back in the day. Heck, all those transmissions outlasted the engines, lol. Maybe something better today, don't know, i'm out of the loop. :)

That may be true for some, but not all. Type F, at least the stuff I sold, has viscosity index improvers. Basic hydraulic oils don't. Using a hydraulic oil that is thin enough to work in a cold transmission in the dead of winter will likely thin out too much to work well fully warmed up in summer. Some more advanced hydraulic oils have VI improvers, but the common cheap stuff doesn't.
Yep, Different Friction Coefficients/ Modifiers

Yeah, My brother bought Type A at the dollar store for 50 cents a quart on clearance.
Said "What will it hurt ? " It did..

-
Back