Anybody Know About 70 Ford Torino 429 Cobra Jet Cars?

-

alleyoopmgv

Reaction score
Anybody Know About 70 Ford Torino 429 Cobra Jet Cars? I know...............it's a Ford, anyways,

This 80 year old lady owns it, it's got 69,*** actual miles on it. It's a 429 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, bench seat car. It hasn't been licensed since 1981.
The car is a little rough, needs quarter's, trunk extensions, and lower front fender patches. Other than that, it looks pretty good, floor pans and truck pan look good too.

I guess I don't know if it's matching number's or not, cuz I don't know where to look for the number's, and her garage is so packed full of junk that you can't even move the car, and there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground, so we didn't want to push it out.

Anyways, I guess the big question that she has is, what's it worth in this condition??

I'm just trying to help her out, she's a buddy of mine, wife's aunt. She's 80 years old and still working, she just wants to get what she can for the car.

So if any of you guys can help me out with some info that would be great! Here's a few picture's so you can get an idea on the price maybe?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_3768.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMG_3762.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 753
That car is cha-ching. Shaker scoop, 4-speed...That car is worth some money. Wait for the snow to melt, clean it, and stick it on ebay with a 10k reserve and see where it goes.

Very kind of you to help her out. She could get screwed without some guidance.

There are three different models of 429 cars there. Assuming that the car is all original what is the carb numbers on it?
The engine Code in the VIN should have the Letter J in it for it to be real ram air car. Otherwise the letter C, which means that shaker was an add on

I like a few Fords and that is certainly one of them. NICE car!

Criscobath got it right. That's the first car that I ever liked when I was a little kid and first began to notice cars. First crush I guess!

I can't imagine that thing isn't worth close to, or at least $10K as it is.....but you never know in this economy, and since it's a bit rusty. The fact that it's sort of a "barn find", stored since '81, will make them Ford fans droooooolll.

I love that body style, but I couldn't own it.

I have no idea? What could it be?
700 CFM Rochester Quadrajet carburetor for the Cobra Jet
780 CFM Holley carburetor for the Super Cobra Jet

Just looking at the carb (again assuming its original) will tell you which engine is in the car.

Still your best bet is to look at the VIN for the engine code letter of C or J. Pulling the casting numbers off the block (located on the drivers side?? been a few years might be on the pass side) will tell which engine is in it as well (a flew line with a mirror and flash light works if you don't want to go under it)

That looks like a seriously good find! I had a friend in high school that had a 70 Torino with a 429 CJ, 4spd and detroit locker with something like a 3:00 rear gear. It was a nice car for a Furd. (I especially remember the sweet exhaust tone) I think it was supposed to be competition for the Road Runner. He stood it on it's nose at 100MPH going for his Army physical. He survived, the car didn't. The insurance company replaced it with a 70-1/2 Falcon 429 but I never saw the Falcon as he enlisted by then.
Snag that car!!!

If it is a real torino cobra (defineltely looks like it is) it would have come with a base 429, a 429 cobra Jet, or a 429 Super Cobra Jet. The super cobra jet (scj) being the most valuable. It looks like a 429 cobraJet version. The aluminum valve covers mean it is at least a CJ (and possibly a SCJ). For it to be an SCJ it would have to have a drag pak option. To identify this it would have an engine oil cooler(look for it behind the grille), a 4:11 locker (or 3:91 "posi") and some other things I can't remember. Buy it if you can, they are cool.

700 CFM Rochester Quadrajet carburetor for the Cobra Jet
780 CFM Holley carburetor for the Super Cobra Jet

Just looking at the carb (again assuming its original) will tell you which engine is in the car.

It is a "J" code car, but from what I've found out it's not a Super Cobra Jet, just a Cobra Jet.
The info that I've found is if the breather hose goes to the side of the air cleaner it's just a Cobra Jet, but if the breather hose goes to the front of the air cleaner it's a Super cobra Jet.

Attachments

• 429cj_moss.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,718
  • 429scj-2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,230
Super Cobra Jet or Cobra Jet... Either way it is an awesome engine.

If it's all original It's probably worth in the 5-6000 buck range as is. If it runs, maybe a bit more.

A restorable 429 CJ 4 speed shaker hood Torino? That appears to be the correct shaker(Mustangs were flat at the front) and adds 20% to the value. With verification of the drivetrain numbers, I'd say 10-12K. Grabber Blue helps, too.

Not in this economy. Keep dreamin. Ain't no way. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome car. But this economy would sink the unsinkable.

So some say the car is basically worth nothing- at least that is until "THEY" own it- then it just has to be a super- rare Barrett-Jackson car that has to be worth at least a million, right....so just jow many 429 CJ Torino's in any saveable shape have you seen lately? I'd venture to say "damn few" let alone any in the shape this car appears to be in. FoMoCo guys are just as hard core about thier cars as we are. The car will bring what the market will bear, but for a car of this rarity and provenance it's still worth quite a bit of money. I'll lean more to agreeing with the 10-12K crowd. Kudos to you for trying to help keep the old woman from getting ripped off!

-
Back