Anybody use clutch tamer

-
Sintered bronze with a full face or just pucks of some shape?

Pucks sir.

In my experience you could tell when the material is starting to get hot because the clutch turns into a chattering light switch LOL. That is usually my cue to give things a cool down.

3 seasons on 150-175 Monte Smith plate kit + street driving all summer. I had two really abuse the clutch for the duration of last season because we added 150hp n/a. Ram Powergrip HD rated to 650rwhp.

20240930_092509.jpg

20240930_092527.jpg

20240930_092519.jpg

How much pressure in the pressure plate?

That’s one thing about a diaphragm clutch in that I don’t know how you reduce plate load with changing the entire diaphragm spring.

A B&B cover you can take apart and change springs really easily. Or you can just take them out.

I’ve had 12 spring covers with only 6 springs to get the plate load down.

How all that relates to clutch tamer operation nor can I say if plate base load even matters with a clutch tamer.

Ram's 10.4" dia full iron disc paired with a 2800lb Powergrip PP has pretty poor street manners, even with a 'tamer on the pedal. Disc has a lite thin flat carrier, which means most of it's 5.1lbs is around the outer dia. Hard to slow down, not really an option for a synchro trans.

The 10.375" 900 series disc that comes with the Powergrip HD has the metallic material on both sides with a marcel and sprung hub, it weighs 4.9lbs.

The 10.375" 900/300 dual friction disc that comes with the regular Powergrip also has a marcel and sprung hub, which means more of it's 4.6lb weight is closer to the center. Easier for synchros to slow down, but won't shift as well as a lighter organic disc.

The 300 series organic discs are available with either marcel or flat carrier, flat carrier being the lightest and best for hi-rpm shifts with synchros.

Ram's Coyote Stock Special clutch uses a 6 paddle disc, but with much lower clamp pressure. About 2200lbs is available for clamp, shimming .050" reduces that to around 1550lbs which was close to race ready ring height for a gen2 Coyote's output. CS guys are faceplated with 1/2 degree sliders, not really streetable. I know of a CS racer that used the same off the shelf organic disc for a full season with a shimmed pressure plate, won the championship.

My test mule has a 9000rpm 355sbc that currently has a 250hp plate instead of the crossbar. The clutch i'm using is basically a regular Powergrip clutch with an off-the-shelf 2800lb pressure plate that's shimmed .060", paired with a 900/300 dual friction disc. I get away with that clutch because I have the n2o on a delay, doesn't come in until the clutch is locked up. Clutch looks almost as bad as yours when I take it apart, but has never welded. Slip is set for about 1.0sec during launch. Great street manners. Shifts great @ 8600 using the pedal, but I have a faceplated trans.

Grant

Last edited:
-
Back