Anyone around Pomona? Looking to attempt a 1,600mi road trip in a D100

-
That’s definitely a possibility... Just speaking with him I’m getting the feeling he bought the truck with big plans but little knowledge on how to carry them out. I really think he just doesn’t trust it... I’m leaning more towards 66fs’s thoughts on it! I know it starts, runs and idles smooth with no ticks,knocks, or rattles, and shifts through all the gears. We’re gonna give it a try!

Take pictures and take us with you. Can't wait.

Start with cutting the fuel filter open. If it is full of rust and sediment then the tank is too.

Original tank in it yet ??? Buy a case of fuel filters for the road trip home.

That’s definitely a possibility... Just speaking with him I’m getting the feeling he bought the truck with big plans but little knowledge on how to carry them out. I really think he just doesn’t trust it... I’m leaning more towards 66fs’s thoughts on it! I know it starts, runs and idles smooth with no ticks,knocks, or rattles, and shifts through all the gears. We’re gonna give it a try!

GOOD LUCK . I`m just outside of Tulsa if u come this way . Interstate 40 east/west is about 45 miles from me to the south.

You could always leave it with me and fly home out of Tulsa !-----------lol

Very cool trip you have planned. I'd do the same thing, give it a good go-over, replace all the soft goods and fluids, check the tune-up situation and go for a drive!

I think it's a great plan, what's wrong with an adventure? I would go through everything first, repairing anything that's questionable, make sure all the hoses are in good shape, both cooling and brake system, as suggested by George Jets bring extra fuel filters, and change all fluids before leaving. There's always a possibility that something can fail, but that's where the adventure starts. I drove a 70 Dart from Vancouver B.C. to Winnipeg Mb through a February blizzard in 1992. Trip was about 1500 miles. I had owned the car for a couple of months, had plenty of time to go through everything, was a great experience and had no real problems except for a lack of heat due to a plugged heater core.
Good luck and let us know how the trip goes.

I’ve posted about this on the fortrucksonly forum but I’ve been unsuccessful... I’ve been looking for a D100 for some time now. Being in NW TN, there aren’t many running options around that are solid. Given my current place in life, I don’t need another long term project. I really want a solid running platform to mess with. With that said, I have found one in Los Angeles, CA. After several weeks messaging and talking to the owner, I have bought my dad and I a couple one way tickets on 4-26!! My plan is to pick up the truck and head to Pomona for the night. I really need to take a day to go over the truck before we head back across the country. Does anyone have any contacts that would allow me to rent a shop space to replace the obvious before we strike out? I’ve called all the parts stores in the area in hopes of someone there knowing of a place but no luck... I would really like to service all the fluids and replace all the rubber lines, belts, hoses... etc. We may still not make it but at least we would have a better chance. If it breaks we will just haul it the rest of the way... Thanks in advance!!

Might make a good episode for roadkill !

If it will go an 60 miles, it will go 1,600 miles. Change oil filter, oil, check brake fluid, tires, tire pressure, coolant. Enjoy!

Tires may be a big part of the issue. I would seriously consider replacing them no matter what. We packed up a family (friends of ours who were basically broke) many years ago. At the time Pep Boys had cheap tires on sale. I knew when they left we should have bought them tires, especially when they called me from west Texas at 1am needing some help to buy a couple of tires...

I'm 35 miles SE from LAX, all freeway. I got a driveway, 200 lbs of tools and 2 parts stores within walking distance, even a tire shop right on the corner. If it can make it through the gears, it'll make it to my house. We can change all the hoses and fluids no problem here. Heck, I even got that saturday off. You gonna uber to his place? I drove my just purchased 65 "S" barn find that was off the highway for 23 years 20 miles to my house on a jump start, 5 gallons of fresh gas and a match stick in one of the fouled points of the dual point distributor. Made it on 5 cylinders and 40 mph on the freeway with my bro following me. We jumped his sisters 302 Maverick and drove it from So. Cal to Vancouver, BC and back. Drove it to Tijuana, Mex. the next weekend and then the alternator went out. PM me if your lift guy doesn't pan out. Check out Vice Grip garage on youtube. If that guy can fix and drive a seized motor car 1200 miles the next morning, we can get that sweptside road worthy. East on the 60 or 10 in late april is gonna be warm but far better than Hot as hell June-Sept!

Last edited:
Very generous offer @pishta !! Can't go wrong with that offer! Unless it rains...but it never rains in Southern California, lol

Your trip brings up a great memory for me. I was 17 years old. My girlfriend got kicked out of the place she was staying with family friends. I agreed to take her back to her parents house. A 300 mile trip from Waynesboro Pennsylvania to New Haven Connecticut in the winter.

So off we go in my 74 Dodge van. The darn thing wasn't getting warm enough to blow hot air from defroster and the windshield was fogging up. A piece of cardboard and we were good. Then it started snowing. 4" of snow and I had something like L60's on it.

Decided to get a motel room. Pull off the road in Patterson New Jersey and stopped at a store to ask where one was. They couldn't speak English, stopped at another store and the guy says, dude you have a van, just park down by the railway tracks!! Nope, back on the highway until we found a hotel along the road. Got my last piece that night and reached Connecticut the next day.

I remember nearly everything about the trip up with her, but remember nothing of the trip home.

Thanks for the memories!! You guys are going to have an epic trip!!

Start with cutting the fuel filter open. If it is full of rust and sediment then the tank is too.

Original tank in it yet ??? Buy a case of fuel filters for the road trip home.

Thanks!! Hadn't thought of this... sounds like great advise!!

GOOD LUCK . I`m just outside of Tulsa if u come this way . Interstate 40 east/west is about 45 miles from me to the south.

You could always leave it with me and fly home out of Tulsa !-----------lol

Thanks so much!! We will definitely be staying on I-40 the whole way.

As for leaving the truck... If we make it that far, it will already be on the level of dads 72 Scamp in my mind! My mom moved to NC from Murray, KY where they met so he would leave work every Friday and head to NC. I’m here because he’s put 243k mi on that car!! It can’t be bought.... I’m afraid if you want this truck you will need to just buy it out from under me before April 26th!!!:lol:

I think it's a great plan, what's wrong with an adventure? I would go through everything first, repairing anything that's questionable, make sure all the hoses are in good shape, both cooling and brake system, as suggested by George Jets bring extra fuel filters, and change all fluids before leaving. There's always a possibility that something can fail, but that's where the adventure starts. I drove a 70 Dart from Vancouver B.C. to Winnipeg Mb through a February blizzard in 1992. Trip was about 1500 miles. I had owned the car for a couple of months, had plenty of time to go through everything, was a great experience and had no real problems except for a lack of heat due to a plugged heater core.
Good luck and let us know how the trip goes.

Good advise!! Thanks!

Thanks!! Hadn't thought of this... sounds like great advise!!

Don't ask how I know, '85 chev van that sat for many years. Florida to Mn roadtrip home.

Let's just say I found a lot of parts stores along the way, did work in parking lots, added secondary fuel filters, stalled out on a mountain overpass . . had to pull the carb apart to clean the sediment out of it multiple times.

Finally made it back to Minnesota without having to be towed in. Girlfriend that was with me put up with a lot, she said a month later: I was impressed you were able to get that Van back home.

All 4 tires were well separated and bulging out in multiple places, lucky they did not blow. Put 4 new on back home.

Go have yourself a great time !!!

Tires may be a big part of the issue. I would seriously consider replacing them no matter what. We packed up a family (friends of ours who were basically broke) many years ago. At the time Pep Boys had cheap tires on sale. I knew when they left we should have bought them tires, especially when they called me from west Texas at 1am needing some help to buy a couple of tires...

Thanks! Already planned on new rubber all the way around! Just wanted to lock in a shop space before ordering so I would know where to order.

I'm 35 miles SE from LAX, all freeway. I got a driveway, 200 lbs of tools and 2 parts stores within walking distance, even a tire shop right on the corner. If it can make it through the gears, it'll make it to my house. We can change all the hoses and fluids no problem here. Heck, I even got that saturday off. You gonna uber to his place? I drove my just purchased 65 "S" barn find that was off the highway for 23 years 20 miles to my house on a jump start, 5 gallons of fresh gas and a match stick in one of the fouled points of the dual point distributor. Made it on 5 cylinders and 40 mph on the freeway with my bro following me. We jumped his sisters 302 Maverick and drove it from So. Cal to Vancouver, BC and back. Drove it to Tijuana, Mex. the next weekend and then the alternator went out. PM me if your lift guy doesn't pan out. Check out Vice Grip garage on youtube. If that guy can fix and drive a seized motor car 1200 miles the next morning, we can get that sweptside road worthy. East on the 60 or 10 in late april is gonna be warm but far better than Hot as hell June-Sept!

Thank you so much!!! If the other falls through I will definitely give you a shout!! I had no doubt we can come up with someone willing to help out!! Thanks to everyone rallying behind us!! I really do appreciate it!!!

Very generous offer @pishta !! Can't go wrong with that offer! Unless it rains...but it never rains in Southern California, lol

Your trip brings up a great memory for me. I was 17 years old. My girlfriend got kicked out of the place she was staying with family friends. I agreed to take her back to her parents house. A 300 mile trip from Waynesboro Pennsylvania to New Haven Connecticut in the winter.

So off we go in my 74 Dodge van. The darn thing wasn't getting warm enough to blow hot air from defroster and the windshield was fogging up. A piece of cardboard and we were good. Then it started snowing. 4" of snow and I had something like L60's on it.

Decided to get a motel room. Pull off the road in Patterson New Jersey and stopped at a store to ask where one was. They couldn't speak English, stopped at another store and the guy says, dude you have a van, just park down by the railway tracks!! Nope, back on the highway until we found a hotel along the road. Got my last piece that night and reached Connecticut the next day.

I remember nearly everything about the trip up with her, but remember nothing of the trip home.

Thanks for the memories!! You guys are going to have an epic trip!!

That’s a memory!! It’s hard to tell if she made the biggest impression or 74 Van...

We are super excited and everyone chiming in just adds to that excitement!

Don't ask how I know, '85 chev van that sat for many years. Florida to Mn roadtrip home.

Let's just say I found a lot of parts stores along the way, did work in parking lots, added secondary fuel filters, stalled out on a mountain overpass . . had to pull the carb apart to clean the sediment out of it multiple times.

Finally made it back to Minnesota without having to be towed in. Girlfriend that was with me put up with a lot, she said a month later: I was impressed you were able to get that Van back home.

All 4 tires were well separated and bulging out in multiple places, lucky they did not blow. Put 4 new on back home.

Go have yourself a great time !!!

You give me hope!!! I have no doubt that unless a major mechanical issue arises we can make this thing drive in!

Thanks so much!! We will definitely be staying on I-40 the whole way.

As for leaving the truck... If we make it that far, it will already be on the level of dads 72 Scamp in my mind! My mom moved to NC from Murray, KY where they met so he would leave work every Friday and head to NC. I’m here because he’s put 243k mi on that car!! It can’t be bought.... I’m afraid if you want this truck you will need to just buy it out from under me before April 26th!!!:lol:

Not a buy out from under type , no $$ anyway ! lol
good luck !

Life is an adventure, live it! I flew to Oakland, Ca back in mid 90s and bought a 67 383 Cuda and drove it back to Missouri. The most fun ever!

Not a buy out from under type , no $$ anyway ! lol
good luck !

It’s my belief that most aren’t... I tend to just give people the benefit of the doubt. Probably anyone familiar with the area could find the truck and persuade the seller to let them buy it. In life it seems there is always a risk when people have an opportunity to do something amazing. Me putting this out on the forums risks someone snatching it up but look at the support that’s been building to help someone that only personally knows a couple members and mostly just passes through when I need to research a problem! I can assure you I do not take it lightly! From my perspective, people are amazing!!

This bright and talented young man is pretty much doing what he can to get his buys' home. Very funny at times...Vise Grip Garage.

Have a safe and speedy trip home.

-
Back