Anyone know anything about Subarus?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
I know,I know, wrong forum , but I joined a Subaru forum ( honestly can't believe I did that ) and there have been about 88 views on my post but no replys? Anyway just in case here it goes....one of my son's brought this ugly little car home, it's a 2011 WRX SI, there supposed to be 300hp rockets, the body and interior are good but the engine is not, he got this thing from a auto shop where it had been abandoned pretty cheap. The heads are off and cracked supposedly a common issue and the engine is out. He hasn't gotten much further on it, but the next step was to check the deck of the block to see its flat. SO.....what does he do? Find some heads? Can these be repaired? Their aluminum obviously, or just scrap the motor and found a good used one? The plan with this ugly duckling is to fix it and flip it so he dosnt want to be in to deep. Thoughts???

Head gaskets are a common problem. Really simple engine and reliable when fixed right. A 2011 could be timing chain instead of a belt. Be careful that the heads are correct for car/engine.

I can tell you that used Subarus are like used BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. When they are running well, they are great, but when they need repair, you will pay BMW, Mercedes and Audi money. The WRX is a great platform, and the engine is its heart and soul. If he cannot handle the complete rebuild himself, he needs to look into a loan. It is the same with a 69 Dart with a 340. You either can or cannot handle the rebuild yourself. If you cannot, you have to hire it done. Fortunately a 1969 340 with a carb is FAR less complex and will cost far less to get running well. The WRX engine is complicated. Even if the rebuild goes well, your son's friend still has to deal with the fuel injection, emissions, computer stuff, etc. I wish I could give you better news, but there isn't any. He will likely have to pay big money to get it fixed.
This is why he got the car cheap. If it was abandoned by the owner, that should tell you something. AND, if the mechanic sold it cheap, that should also tell you something. If he could have gotten it running well, it would have been worth a lot more. The mechanic knew that could not have been done at a cost that would have left a profit for him (or her), so it was sold cheap. It's kind of looking at a 69 Dart with a 340 and a 4 speed. The guy says, "all it needs is a carb, and it will run great. But you can't hear it run, so you can't drive it, so for all you know the engine, transmission, suspension etc. could all be junk. The seller KNOWS he will get way more money for a running car. If it really DID only need a carb. he would find a carb to get it running. So the fact that he doesn't get it running should tell you something.

If it were me I’d be researching the JDM engines, you can probably find a 2.0l that will retrofit the 2.5l. The 2.5l was known for cylinder head gasket issue. Here in the states you can find JDM’s for $1000 dollars and up but there are some things that make them NOT a direct interchange. From what I recall there are tone rings etc that have to be swapped over to make them work. I’d start researching here for info on the swap. That’s about the limit of what I know.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/index.php

I see a lot of them have replacement engines. Many of the STIs were abused heavily with cranked up turbos.

I know,I know, wrong forum , but I joined a Subaru forum ( honestly can't believe I did that ) and there have been about 88 views on my post but no replys? Anyway just in case here it goes....one of my son's brought this ugly little car home, it's a 2011 WRX SI, there supposed to be 300hp rockets, the body and interior are good but the engine is not, he got this thing from a auto shop where it had been abandoned pretty cheap. The heads are off and cracked supposedly a common issue and the engine is out. He hasn't gotten much further on it, but the next step was to check the deck of the block to see its flat. SO.....what does he do? Find some heads? Can these be repaired? Their aluminum obviously, or just scrap the motor and found a good used one? The plan with this ugly duckling is to fix it and flip it so he dosnt want to be in to deep. Thoughts???
Wrong forum? If you knew, why did you post here? :poke::lol:

They were okish if maintained well, and under warranty, and absolutely money pit garbage after a few years.

@replicaracer43 The machine shop here that does the shot blasting for me is always chock full of Subaru heads. I've never been there when he had less than a dozen laying there to be fixed and at least a dozen more ready to go back to the customer who specializes in Super Roots. Good income stream for both....lol.

Not a WRX but my wife’s 2017 Legacy has been top notch. Has a little over 83k and still as peppy as before. Most Subaru dealers are top notch. Resale on Subarus are great. Maybe he can use it as a trade in. I was looking at the Subaru BRZ last week. Took it for a test drive. Man, it’s a rocket ship. They told me the 2025s will come with a turbo.

I can tell you that used Subarus are like used BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. When they are running well, they are great, but when they need repair, you will pay BMW, Mercedes and Audi money. The WRX is a great platform, and the engine is its heart and soul. If he cannot handle the complete rebuild himself, he needs to look into a loan. It is the same with a 69 Dart with a 340. You either can or cannot handle the rebuild yourself. If you cannot, you have to hire it done. Fortunately a 1969 340 with a carb is FAR less complex and will cost far less to get running well. The WRX engine is complicated. Even if the rebuild goes well, your son's friend still has to deal with the fuel injection, emissions, computer stuff, etc. I wish I could give you better news, but there isn't any. He will likely have to pay big money to get it fixed.
This is why he got the car cheap. If it was abandoned by the owner, that should tell you something. AND, if the mechanic sold it cheap, that should also tell you something. If he could have gotten it running well, it would have been worth a lot more. The mechanic knew that could not have been done at a cost that would have left a profit for him (or her), so it was sold cheap. It's kind of looking at a 69 Dart with a 340 and a 4 speed. The guy says, "all it needs is a carb, and it will run great. But you can't hear it run, so you can't drive it, so for all you know the engine, transmission, suspension etc. could all be junk. The seller KNOWS he will get way more money for a running car. If it really DID only need a carb. he would find a carb to get it running. So the fact that he doesn't get it running should tell you something.
Very well said.

It was sold cheap for a reason!! Your comment about ‘all it needs is a carb to run well’ is something all of us on this forum understand. It’s almost never that simple or else the seller would have done that to increase his asking price.

Subaru's (similar to VW’s) have a cult like following which means, when sold new, a premium is paid compared to other cars. Sure they are fun cars but their ‘different’ factor comes with a price premium.

Well thanks for all the bad news, lol, just kidding, ok so a little more info, first my son is a licensed marine mechanic but switched gears from the automotive side prior to that and previously worked in a couple Japanese car dealers as a tech before. I, like the rest of you have been messing with cars since I was a kid and I'm also a marine mechanic so I feel we're both capable of handling the job. The question is where if anywhere can we get reasonable priced parts? The JDM idea is a good one so thanks Dubob I'll look into that, the head kit JDmopar posted is going to be about 5k CDN by the time it landed and we can find a used motor close to that which is what we might do. Now this being said up here this thing is worth about 4k just in parts so worse case he can recover funds that way but he has is time so we will keep looking. I agree with what was said about these being great and fast etc until they break because they been run hard but what about all this Japanese quality people rave about? Any way thanks guys I got more responses here in 8 hours than I have in two days at the Subaru forum, lol

Last edited:
I should add that my son didn't randomly pick this thing up without knowing anything about, it's a long story but it used to be his neighbors car, the couple split, car broke down, ex had no money, one ex signed it over to the other, and then to my son, once it's fixed she will get some cash back, he's into it for a few hundred bucks and although he'd like a quick flip if it took 6 months or more because if waiting for the " right " part then so be it. Hence why I thought someone might have an idea but keeping in mind were in Canada so everything is ridiculous expensive to get here.

-
Back