Are ebayers outta their minds with the prices????

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here with a bit of a rant!! Just thought I would peruse ebay and look at the 66 Cuda parts for sale!! I gotta tell you, it's no damn wonder people think Mopars are to pricey to work on, with some of the prices I saw that people are asking for stuff on there!! Stuff that I have piles of, and wouldn't think to charge 1/10 of the prices they're asking, then you see a vendor with new parts in the very next listing with actual reasonable prices!! It blows my mind that someone would ask $60 for one piece of the upper door chrome, $120 for one piece of quarter glass, $30 for a single battery tray brace, used, listed right next to a repopped tray that's $28!! I hope nobody's paying those prices, they're giving the hobby a bad name raping people like that!! Makes me sick to see the throat cutting prices there, and makes me even gladder (is that a word?) that there is a place like FABO to buy and sell!! When you think someone's price here is a little high, just head on over to ebay and get yourself a nice $139 used gas cap!!! Sorry all, rant over!!!

Well you have the right not to buy their stuff. Just like the people who ask crazy prices on here.

ebay is full of dreamers but there are also a lot of good deals on ebay to be had.

Its like the 1800's and sifting the river for gold ......there will be a lot of dirt and pebbles and occasional water snake but in there somewhere is "paydirt"

Just have to be patient and make it your part time job to parts hunt :D:D

Yea. Any car with limited interest is like that. Try doing a lesser popular B Body.
"They" aren't reproducing things. And that which is reproduced isn't in quantity enough to bring the price per unit down.
And then there is just the cost in general of things these days.
Even standard hardware.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221790067155?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Nothing you don't know already.
But sharing the pain is what we are here for.

The other things you have to realize about th'bay (and I don't like it either)

th' bay has gone full nuts to suck money out of everybody, what with teaming up with paypal, and charging extra for every little thing you put on their auction site. It's completely ridiculous.

What I do NOT understand is why now one has created a viable alternative, IE "ebay was in 1998"

Also there are some folks that will pay the price "no matter what." People who cannot or will not take the time to do legwork, search other venues, when you add up that kind of time and money, the ebay prices might not be so bad "for some."

Yea. Any car with limited interest is like that. Try doing a lesser popular B Body.
"They" aren't reproducing things. And that which is reproduced isn't in quantity enough to bring the price per unit down.
And then there is just the cost in general of things these days.
Even standard hardware.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221790067155?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Nothing you don't know already.
But sharing the pain is what we are here for.
That ebay seller is Tops by me. Oldsmokey. He has shipped hardware to me for free. Really. I know you are just using that as example.

it's an online swap meet - you get sellers from both sides of the spectrum.. always have, always will - so yea, so of them are nuts

Well you have the right not to buy their stuff. Just like the people who ask crazy prices on here.

I'm not buying, I'm just bored and surfing!!! Guess I should list stuff on eBay for what it's really worth and put em all outta business!!!

My advice is, if you're really budget constrained, switch to a Ford or Chevy. You'll still be in the hobby, still be saving an old car and still have fun.

in fact , could be a lot worse - you could be north of the border tryin' to restore a '66 Fish - parts prices have gone up 40% when I have to buy from the US - shipping is stupid expensive - count your blessings, cousins :violent1:

ps I've gotten a lot of help from members here - thanks to all of you, you know who you are ;)

I'm not buying, I'm just bored and surfing!!! Guess I should list stuff on eBay for what it's really worth and put em all outta business!!!

I am stunned what my wife does get out of old lamps and Retro stuff ! Blows my mind at times, Oh ! Geof ! That is a word brother :D

That's why I rarely buy on ebay. Only when I have to...

My Duster is real close to being done :cheers: I'm having it done as a nice driver. I sourced stuff from the classifieds here, eBay (a lot), direct from Mopar retailers and google for unique items. Yes, I have spent a lot, but I have to say that eBay and FABO have been the least expensive when there has been a straight comparison.

Dennis

It all boils down to know the going price. I got a mint 69 Dart grill for $50 on Craigslist.
I've found forums to be the the most consistent for fair prices.

Remember trying to build cars from hemmings and local trader papers.
When eBay came along it got so much easier to find the very rare parts.
No more chasing down dead end leads by phone and driving for miles just to find
out it wasn't what you needed.
I used to call it my weekend Hemi goose chase.
Those days are over, haven't been on one for years.
Ebay pricing has steadily gotten to what it is today. Thankfully I found most of the
impossible parts I needed before everything got so high priced.
I don't use eBay these days as much as I used to.
I have sold a few things there when I get no interest on this site and been shocked at times what people will bid an item up to.
Overall I know eBay shortened the parts locating process for me by years or decades.
I really don't like using eBay to sell an item and will try other ways first.
I have 5 cars that should probably have a eBay emblem on them rather than a factory badge.

I made purchase's on E-bay and got some smoking hot deals. You have to be carful though. If you jump at the first price, you could make a mistake

Nope, ebay sellers are not out of their minds! The people that pay those out of line prices are the ones out of their minds! If you are patient you can usually find good deals. Just have to wait for the right thing to come along.
Rod

I have made my ebay scores by being patient and finding some mis-labeled parts.

Example: I found a HURST console shifter for an A-body that was labeled as being for a B-body. The B-body guys didn't want it because it didn't look right to them and probably weren't sure what it was. The A-body people skimmed over it because it was labeled as for a B-body which wouldn't work in their cars.

I was the second bidder and got it for a fraction of what its actually worth. Patience and keeping your eyes peeled and be a step ahead of the next bidder.

Patience like a cat :D

Thats funny Geoff because I surfed there the other day and a broken repaired 66 grille was priced over 300 for the 1 piece.

So Geoff, about that pike of 66 barracuda parts in your garage...... They are now covered in a nice sheen of gold!!!!! :)

Howdy all, cosgig here with a bit of a rant!! Just thought I would peruse ebay and look at the 66 Cuda parts for sale!! I gotta tell you, it's no damn wonder people think Mopars are to pricey to work on, with some of the prices I saw that people are asking for stuff on there!! Stuff that I have piles of, and wouldn't think to charge 1/10 of the prices they're asking, then you see a vendor with new parts in the very next listing with actual reasonable prices!! It blows my mind that someone would ask $60 for one piece of the upper door chrome, $120 for one piece of quarter glass, $30 for a single battery tray brace, used, listed right next to a repopped tray that's $28!! I hope nobody's paying those prices, they're giving the hobby a bad name raping people like that!! Makes me sick to see the throat cutting prices there, and makes me even gladder (is that a word?) that there is a place like FABO to buy and sell!! When you think someone's price here is a little high, just head on over to ebay and get yourself a nice $139 used gas cap!!! Sorry all, rant over!!!

Oh I know

-
Back