Are Magazines dead?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I bought a sub to Mopar Muscle for a school fundraiser for a ridiculously cheap price, now I just got an offer to get 3 years (36 issues) of Hot Rod for $20.. Thats .55 an issue and they still got to mail it for about .11/pc. so they make .44 an issue off me? Whats it cost to print and bind? And I still dont think Ill get it....even if they give me the free watch. :wack:

Might be a scam............................

I haven't kept up with rates, but most any mag I would have considered taking want what I consider ridiculous rates, considering the amount of ads in them. Most of 'em are "one big ad."

Actually did the Hot Rod deal HaHaHa, how can you beat that price? They been sending me the same offer for Car Craft still thinking about that one. Wish Mopar Action would get cheaper, damn their proud of that rag but it's my fav. I hope mags don't go away they are just a helluva lot easier to read.

Yeah, it's a legit offer, but they're so full of ads, and so little content they're hardly worth it. Good for the bathroom though! I agree, Mopar Action is proud of their rag, but so is MCG and I do have a subscription to that.

the only way i'll subscribe to car craft and hot rod is when they send me stupid cheap prices like that. stopped all my mopar magazines years ago because they sucked.

but yea magazines are on their way out it seems. don't need them anymore.. cna get answers faster from the internet. some like them while on the shitter but i'm never in there long enough to read an article.. :)

I think all paper media is dying a slow death. I'm talking phone books, newspapers, magazines. I'm switching all my advertising to tv, radio, internet.

I think all paper media is dying a slow death. I'm talking phone books, newspapers, magazines. I'm switching all my advertising to tv, radio, internet.

TV and Radio are dying a slow death as well. Media is becoming more and more segmented and directly targeted...TV and Radio represent the old "Shotgun Approach" to advertising and they're only viable for the largest of corporations.
Internet is where it's at now, and until something comes along to replace it, will be the only game in town.
Tony

Harold Ramis saw it coming....

[ame]http://youtu.be/ro427Lm_I3w[/ame]

TV and Radio are dying a slow death as well. Media is becoming more and more segmented and directly targeted...TV and Radio represent the old "Shotgun Approach" to advertising and they're only viable for the largest of corporations.
Internet is where it's at now, and until something comes along to replace it, will be the only game in town.
Tony

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think Tony's right!

Advertisers are the ones paying the bucks to develope and print the magazines. Just like your daily news papers. If the advertising stopped, so would the magazine

Welcome to "the future".

The whole thing is I LOVE paper products. I'd much rather read a mag than put up with some of the really stupidly designed websites, like whatever Google books was sposed to be

Having said that, these people have literally shot themselves in the foot. Biggest reason I don' buy em is the high ratio of ads to content, and o' course without "me" (meaning lots of us) buyin' em, then nobody "gets to see" the ads!!!!

The hot rod one is legit, about 6 months ago I bought the 3 yr for $20.00
There is still some good articles in there, this month there is an article on the hell-cat engine.
Plus they seem to be giving equal page time to each make Ford/Dodge/Chevy instead of the all chevy crap they have been putting out for years.

I get about 14 magazines a month having to do with everything from cars and trucks, to music, to wood working, to hunting and fishing, and more....

I still want to hold the mag in my hand!! LOL i'd say us "older" people tend to like the paper stuff!??
yes they make their profit on ads, not subscriptions!
hey, when is someone gonna come out with an ALL A body mag!!??? LOL

They are also making money on online subscriptions. I just looked at rates for Mopar Muscle - they want $5.99 per issue or $23.99 per year...
You used to be able to order back issues of mags and get paper. Id guess you can only get them digital now. So, they probably make a lot of $ for issues that they don't even print. I dont currently have any subscriptions, but will occasionaly pay too much and buy one (paper) at the per copy rate if i see something of interest.

I still want to hold the mag in my hand!! ...

They already have one, its called PLAYBOY...:happy1:
dvook1urnbzmisgh2rgv.jpg

I think that high-end "magazines" like Rodder's Journal will always be around. But the run of the mill stuff like Car Craft most certainly will not be here much longer I'm afraid.

I am electronic with my Molar Muscle mag on Kindle $1.99 a month. I miss having the paper for running around a sharing. But I don't miss the piles.

i consider myself part of the in between generation.

I love holding the magazine in my hand and reading the articles and tech pages; however i also do alot of online reading when i see something in a magazine that interests me, but usually avoid the magazines websites and go for real world opinions from forums like this.

It's difficult ( and expensive) enough to sell MoPar only magazines at a profit considering the cost of producing a monthly issue, and attempting to sell it at a competitive price. Imagine a magazine limited to just "A" bodies! The cost per issue would be very expensive, or they would have to go to a quarterly publication.

While we, Mopar guys, and "A"body guys are strongly represented here, we do not represent a large segment of the automobile hobby.

Rightly or wrongly, and whether you agree or not, and "A BODY" magazine could not compete in sales with the "Mustang", or Nova, or Chevelle" or Corvette" publications. Those cars, and those magazines have a much larger subscription base, than we can ever hope for.

I seriously doubt that we will ever see an "A BODY" magazine. If it were to happen, you can bet that I'd be a "Charter Subscriber".

Your thoughts?

I agree that all paper print material is on the way out. Our local rag has cut down to 6 days a week and it is no longer printed locally. We have had a large printing company that used to print Rolling Stone among other magazines close it doors.

-
Back