ARP main bolts oil pump clearance

-

rusty

Reaction score
I put Arp main bolts in my 360 and the oil pump does not clear the bolts on the rear cap,I removed the washer and retorqued it and it still does't clear.Have any of you ran into this?,it is a Melling HV pump.

This is a common complaint.
I had to do some creative grinding.

Yeah,I have a mill so I milled enough off for the bolt to clear but still can't run the washer and not sure if I can take enough off the pump body to clear with the washer.The threads in the block are plenty deep so I think and hope it'll be ok not to use the washer after all the stock bolts didn't have washers.

Some also mill down the main cap surface where the nut sits, then trim the excess off the stud as well.

I called ARP today and they said it was an uncommon problem,I told them from what I read on here that it was more common than they think.I milled too much off the body and got into the relief spring cavity thus ruining a new oil pump! My bad! Arp did say they had a special low profile bolt and are sending me two free of charge.

Two eh? Thats big of them. I got one of those. And the matching 12pt nut is so low profile, I was scared to install it.Seems all good tho, as engine has not been apart since 2004.

I called ARP today and they said it was an uncommon problem,I told them from what I read on here that it was more common than they think.I milled too much off the body and got into the relief spring cavity thus ruining a new oil pump! My bad! Arp did say they had a special low profile bolt and are sending me two free of charge.

They told me the same thing... Very bad Customer service.

Ummmm..... I contacted them and they sent me a bolt with a thin head and the same specs. Very good customer service for me

ARP....Fearking liars...

Like 70 aarcuda, I just used a bolt. I've taken a trip from Cason City to Vegas and raced my 410 at Vegas. Had no oiling problems. Unless you have a 600+ HP motor, I wouldn't waste my time fitting a nut to the stud.

I call ARP every time I do a stud kit and every time I'm told that my call is the first they've heard of an issue. Sometimes they send me a special nut sometimes bolts..... I keep calling in hopes that one day they will take notice provide a standard solution. I usually mill a bit off the rear cap and grind a bit on the pump housing. Then modify the stud and it will just fit.

I ordered a low profile bolt to solve the issue. Why the hell would they think it will clear the oil pump? They should make a seperate kit to accomodate this issue with stock pump location. Ding dongs

Same thing here. Guess there isn't enough Mopar guys out there to justify fixing the problem. This is far from a new issue with the kit. This is probably why our chevy and ford friends are impressed with our (mopar bretheren) ability to "make it work".

Why should ARP care when they have a monopoly on fasteners?
When Procomp (Speedmaster) finally ruin all the medium priced parts manufactures out there and all that is left is their hokey stolen part designs or high end manufactured parts like jesel etc, that's when the fun and games is really going to start...Having one fastener that won't fit will be a dream compared to what they will be sending you :) They will have the monopoly...

My set is from circa 1997. So it's been a problem for how long? It may be the first the person on the phone has heard of it but it's been known for a very long time.

I bet if it were for a SBC they'd fix it that day and come out with 10 new sets in different colors with little bow ties on them and a voucher for a free mullet.

Why should ARP care when they have a monopoly on fasteners?
When Procomp (Speedmaster) finally ruin all the medium priced parts manufactures out there and all that is left is their hokey stolen part designs or high end manufactured parts like jesel etc, that's when the fun and games is really going to start...Having one fastener that won't fit will be a dream compared to what they will be sending you :) They will have the monopoly...

Put a main girdle setup on a Windsor Ford a few years back. The kit was some China made crap. When I torqued the studs down the threads pulled right off the studs. Replaced the fasteners with ARP, no problems. Moral of the story is ARP will never be snuffed out by ProComp. Why's that you ask, because people in the know won't touch that junk, and the cheap fools that do usually replace it with the quality brand when the China crap breaks or fails. :violent1:

Had it on my brother's 340 also...just used a stock bolt under the pump. I think I've seen this or a very similar thread on here at least 2-3 times before over the years.

Yeah, I think ARP are fairly safe from being "Procomped".. I noticed they are now selling ripoff's of Mallory electric fuel pumps..

If someone with some machining skills wanted to make a few bucks they'd machine some .030 or so spacers to solve this problem....youre welcome and I expect 14% commission

I think anybody who is building an engine that will benefit from using studs over bolts wouldn't have a problem spending a few bucks getting a main cap machined.

-
Back