ballast resistor

-

tcsmithh

Reaction score
so i am sure this has been asked numerous times, but here i go (again). I put a 6al in my 71 duster, removed all the stock wiring except the brown to the red msd lead and the one other i cannot think of off the top of my head. my problem is that the engine starts but will not stay running. i know why...the coil is not getting power with the key in run. i know there is a coil power wire for "run" that i can jump to the brown wire under my dash, but i dont know which one it is, and the schematic is a little difficult to follow, looks like j2a dark blue, but i am not sure.

thanks for all your help fellow enthusiasts
-tom

I dont know the differences from a 65 barracuda and a 71 duster, but for me I had two ignition wires, one for when the starter is turning and one for when its just in the run position (Dark Blue one) What I ended up doing after I got rid of the ballast i just connected both sides, other wise, I imagine you can just splice the brown and dark blue together after the ignition switch. My rewiring wont be till later this summer. Hope this helps

Ditto no1newb. Most people just connect the 2 spade connectors together that went to the ballast resistor (brown to dk blu). There is a male-male spade connector you can get that is perfect, or you can use a short section of 14 awg wire w/ male spades.

You can do away with the ballast resistor. The blue wire that is on it and is hot from the ignition switch can be used to turn on the box. You connect the small red on the box to the old ballast blue wire which turns the box on and is tied to the positive ignition souce when in the start and run mode.

You can do away with the ballast resistor. The blue wire that is on it and is hot from the ignition switch can be used to turn on the box. You connect the small red on the box to the old ballast blue wire which turns the box on and is tied to the positive ignition souce when in the start and run mode.

The only problem with that is that the brown wire will be hot when turning the starter, and then engine wont start until you move the key back to the run position, so it will be tricky to start. at least to my understanding that would be the consequence.

so like a bone head, while my motor was out, i removed all these wires. i want to tie the wires together under the dash. is it still brown and dark blue going to the steering column?

oh yea, and i wanted to include a shot of the car :)

Attachments

• 5635321918_d79055be5f.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 167
Alright if you had a dual ballast resistor then you had a seperate start and run circuit. The top wire on the right should be blue and the bottom color on the right might be brown. You will have to check that. Easy to check with a multimeter on the dc volt scale. Ground the negative lead and put the positive on the blue wire. Turn the key to the start position and if you get 12 vdc then and not when you let go of the key then that is your start circuit. Put it on the brown wire and turn the key to start, if there is no 12 vdc in the start but has it in the run when you let off the key then that is your run circuit. Tie them both together and tie the small red of the box to them. This is the best I can describe it to you without a wiring diagram.

Alright if you had a dual ballast resistor then you had a seperate start and run circuit. The top wire on the right should be blue and the bottom color on the right might be brown. You will have to check that. Easy to check with a multimeter on the dc volt scale. Ground the negative lead and put the positive on the blue wire. Turn the key to the start position and if you get 12 vdc then and not when you let go of the key then that is your start circuit. Put it on the brown wire and turn the key to start, if there is no 12 vdc in the start but has it in the run when you let off the key then that is your run circuit. Tie them both together and tie the small red of the box to them. This is the best I can describe it to you without a wiring diagram.
got it, thanks for all the assistance

-tom

-
Back