Barry Grant Inc. files bankruptcy

-
Barry Grant Inc. files bankruptcy
posted in: performanceparts garage, news on October 14, 2009 at 10:28 PM
views: 1715

Unfortunately another well known manufacturer is facing a tough time with the economy. Barry Grant Inc. voluntarly filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection today in the United States Bankruptcy Court of North Georgia (Case 09-24349-reb). The filing was for Chapter 11 protection. Barry Grant joins Holley as two major fuel system manufacturers currently operating under Chapter 11. Barry Grant Inc operates the Demon Carburetion, BG Fuel Systems, and Nitrous Works brands.

And they say the economy is getting better.
YEAH RIGHT!!​

"Barry Grant Inc. files bankruptcy"

Good! Maybe now they wont be making anymore crappy quality carbs and hiring assholes in their customer service department!

I agree! The customer service or "Tech Department" as it is so called wasn't worth the time it took to call them. I had a question about a problem I was having with one of their carbs and all I got from them was check your timing, that was it! What a great bunch "dudes"!

WOW! I never heard of them having a bad product or bad customer service. I only had to call them once about my fuel pump but I got a lot of help from the guy that took my call.

Was I in the minority? I've had great luck with my carbs and my pump.

WOW! I never heard of them having a bad product or bad customer service. I only had to call them once about my fuel pump but I got a lot of help from the guy that took my call.

Was I in the minority? I've had great luck with my carbs and my pump.
There have been plenty that have gotten both good service and quality problems. We did have some help here a couple of years ago that was hard to deal with but BG cleaned house and made some other changes.

Thing is you are never going to be able to make everybody happy and everyday we get people calling in who want to argue with us when we try to give them advice. Point in case yesterday I had a guy call me and the company ignorant because we advised he needed to flush his alcohol system with gas after he races.

This bankruptcy was brough about due to having a short term line of credit removed. We are not the first in the industry to file nor will we be the last. As much as I hate to see it there are more to come. This does allow us to catch our breath however and at our current reduced levels of business we have been profitable.

Maybe if your boss hadn't spent a ton of the companies money on Pro Stock racing and an airplane your company wouldn't have needed a line of credit. Glad he's not running the company I work for.

1badmopar, that was a pretty stupid comment for your first post.

If you knew anything at all about business, you'd realize that just about every business in the country carries a line of credit. It's standard practice to help build your company credit and is generally used to cover seasonal inventory needs or for things like adding machinery or a new warehouse or other necessary capital expenditures. No bank extends a line of credit to a company that is overextended because of poor purchasing choices. I don't know the particulars, but with so many banks failing, lines of credit are being pulled left and right for no reason but to help the issuing bank's liquidity.

By the way, I have never owned a Barry Grant product, nor do I have any stake in their success or failure. I DO have a degree in Marketing and own my own business...and I also carry a line of credit.

This bankruptcy was brough about due to having a short term line of credit removed. We are not the first in the industry to file nor will we be the last. As much as I hate to see it there are more to come. This does allow us to catch our breath however and at our current reduced levels of business we have been profitable.

I'm a Holley guy, but I'm hoping that EVERYONE in the car hobby makes it through this. Best of luck.

Well I for one have owned 4 different Demon carbs over the years with narry a problem and yea that comment from "1badmopar" was out of line. You don't like the way the companies execs spend the companies money then send him a PM outlining your concerns. One on one you might say.

Terry

I have never had a problem with any BG product I've owned or a problem any time I called tech, which I did several times trying to tune my Demon to my application. They were always very polite, friendly, knowlegable and helpful. I hope you guys pull through OK.

I'm a Holley guy, but I'm hoping that EVERYONE in the car hobby makes it through this. Best of luck.

Amen, not just the car hobby, the whole economy, especially small businesses are hurting badly while the government keeps spending rediculous money that we don't even have and we have to pay for it in taxes.

If anyone is to blame, it is from the top down, and they can't blame Bush because his spending stopped when Osama took over.

See where "Henco en China" gets you, just like Lincoln Welders....
Theres always a few that have to make an ignorant statement . Unlike our competitors our products are made right here in the U.S. from U.S. components. Even when metals were at their peak and otheres WERE going to China for their zinc we did not even at a higher cost to us for materials which was not passed on tot he end user.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys and there will always be a handfull who have something sa to say but you just have to overlook them for the most part , especially when it is their first post.

I've been screwed or jerked around by numerous big name companies like BDS, JE Pistons, Edlebrock, California Car Cover and several others.

Everyone has different problems with different companies and for different reasons. I spent a lot of money for parts that could have been free and I still feel I would have paid too much for them. I had to send my pistons back three times because they physically wouldn't fit and weren't built to the specification they were ordered for. I received four different intakes till I got the correct one that wasn't defective. Half my bolts and studs from ARP were the wrong ones or the wrong size. After all the headaches from the other companies, I have to say the one part on my car that gave me no trouble is my Demon 750 blower carbs, the only thing I had to do was adjust the idle mixture screws and the idle, and it runs perfect.

All the negative comments in this thread and only two of them say anything about the actual problem they had. hum?

I hope "Tech @ BG" can pm them and help them out with the issues they had and I think unless you actually own a BG product there is no need for the negative comments. The one thing we don't need in this hobby is another company having trouble, it will indirectly effect other companies and the hobby itself.

I apologize! Maybe I spoke in haste and me being p$$$ed doesn't get the problem fixed. Who knows maybe the guy I talked to had had his fill on that particular day and I was the last person he wanted to spend any time with. Who Knows!

I'll see how it goes in the future!

I apologize! Maybe I spoke in haste and me being p$$$ed doesn't get the problem fixed. Who knows maybe the guy I talked to had had his fill on that particular day and I was the last person he wanted to spend any time with. Who Knows!

I'll see how it goes in the future!
Thanks, base timing plays a real important factor before anything can be adjusted on the carburetor as too little can throw all of the other adjustments out of whack. We also ask a few preliminary questions andif the customer doesn't know where the base is or it is not where we think it needs to be then we ask that be changed before anything else. Many of the problems we encounter both on the phones and the boards have been corrected by just adding base and then re-adjusting the carb. From there we try to get more in depth but sometimes we can come across as brash. A lot of times guys just want to call and argue or they call 2 or 3 times without following our reccomendations but without having been privy to your conversation any number of things could have occured that day or on the call before yours.

well, is it buisness as usaul? are you still operating?
Pretty much the same as it was prior. I think I had posted it here but we have been pretty lean for the last year or so meaning no layoffs or anything like that. Some of our larger vendors working with us and materials coming in and product going out. Service and repairs for the most part uninterupted at this point.

-
Back