bearing spun in housing

-

kempkan

Reaction score
Ok well i got the a body housing today with no axles. There is some scoring on the housing where the axle bearings sit. Is there any way to fix this? I didnt see this till i got home because he painted it and capped the ends with wood and silicon so it wouldnt get in the housing. I need some advice on cheap reliable axles too(the wife says im spending too much). I seen the mosers for 219 and been reading horror stories about the yukons. What options do i have?

Im new to the 8.75 rear. Me being only 25 i dont know too much about these housings. The car came with a 9 in. untill it blew a few days ago. Any help out there? Do i cut it down and weld new ends or are there bearings i can use?

Well since there isn't a pic to really know what you are looking at it's hard to say for sure but there may not be anything wrong with it. They aren't perfectly smooth to start with, you'll have to see how the race fits in there.

We had Yukons in the Scamp before I did what I did to it, no problems here.

I was told that they seemed like they weren't long enough and snapping the ends of the axles off. I don't really know like I said this is just what I was reading. If everyone is doing fine and it was just a couple of people not putting them in right I might go with them that's why I'm asking. As for pictures I can post some tomorrow but you can see the top of the housing were the pressure would ride there is actually a chunk missing mabey 3/8" long and maybe 1/8" deep. I don't know if I could fill with weld or not. Pics to come.

Ok ive read how the green bearings work and from what i understand if you run these you no longer need to worry about the housing being worn? They just bolt in behind the backing plate? Its basically like a modern day fwd bearing or hub assembly. This may be my best bet if the outer race is not snug in the housing right? This car is going to be primarily a drag car and im picking up a narrowed dana 60 tomorrow for next year when the 440 gets done. Dont really want to spend too much because its coming out anyway i just want to drive it for the summer. And my apologies to the people running the yukons i only read part of these threads and it was installation errors. Please let me know if im correct on these green bearings or not. Thanks again FABO!

You should be able to dimple the housing with a center punch if the race is sloppy in the housing. I would dimple the housing at least a dozen places. It should tighten the race enough to save it. Truck techs have done this for years on front axle spindles if the races are loose and want to spin on the spindle.
toolman

You should be able to dimple the housing with a center punch if the race is sloppy in the housing. I would dimple the housing at least a dozen places. It should tighten the race enough to save it. Truck techs have done this for years on drive axle spindles if the races are loose and want to spin on the spindle.
toolman

LOL Toolman, you read my mind. I have done that on a few occasions at work. I don't like to, but it will help keep the bearing from spinning and tightens it up.

LOL Toolman, you read my mind. I have done that on a few occasions at work. I don't like to, but it will help keep the bearing from spinning and tightens it up.

"Great minds think alike" LOL toolman

You should be able to dimple the housing with a center punch if the race is sloppy in the housing. I would dimple the housing at least a dozen places. It should tighten the race enough to save it. Truck techs have done this for years on drive axle spindles if the races are loose and want to spin on the spindle.
toolman
X2 I have dun this many times on cars and trucks even on front spindles.......Artie

Everyone who is using the yukons are the green bearings holding up? What brand of greens should I use moser has two different set ups one with a c clip and one with out.

-
Back