Being a Moderator.....

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only issue is the rampant use of the F word on this forum lately, especially in the General Discussions section. I've been here a long, long time and it seems that this is tolerated way more than it used to be. I know that there are younger kids who check out this forum with their parents and I don't want to see it every Sunday morning either.

Joe, just playing devil's advocate here (yeah, I know, that's gotten me into trouble before), but since the F-bombs need to be cleaned up for this PG13 rated site I have to wonder - and this is purely hypothetical and for argument's sake - why is that no one is having an issue with all the asses and tits flopping around in sigs and avatars? Seems like the one thing everyone keeps harping on with the kids is the language.

Which brings me back to the whining from someone in another thread about the language. His kid sits on his lap and reads along with him and he has an issue with the language. Yet never once have I read anything from him about the soft-R rating of avatars and sigs.

Or the bikini babes in the galleries. Or posting of said pics in threads other than the Hot babes thread.

Don't anyone with these sigs and avatars start screaming at me, please. Read the phrases and words "devil's advocate," "hypothetical," and "argument's sake."

I'm just wondering what the hell is going on inside some people's head!

And I'll warn the mods, now. I foresee a lot of PM's from the whiners coming your way on the pics in the avatars, signatures, and being posted in random threads simply because now that I bring it up and make it a topic they won't want to look like little hypocrites about the language while they enjoy looking at the pics, even with the kid sitting on their laps. (And, no, Joe, I'm not calling you a hypocrite.)

I like the tits in the avatars. Strokerscamp has some nice ones. *** tits and and such are common everyday phrases. I wish people would be more concerned with harsher stuff than the everyday phrases I use. :prayer:

Being a moderator on a site is an un-paid position of authority. To be awarded and maintain this position you must post often, post and be concerned with the best interests of the forum you are serving. You must also be somewhat knowledgable of the material the site is presenting.

To also serve you must have thick skin. This is so that when members throw sticks and stones at you you will not get hurt because they will bounce off your thick skin.

You must also have little to none feelings. This keeps you from getting upset or crying when someone calls you a name.

Everyonce in a while you get to have some fun. You eventually will find a new spammer filling up the forum with spam in a can. Then the fun begins. You get to delete all the threads as spam and ban the spammer and sometime ban their IP address.

Everyonce in a while someone will call you a name or another member of the forum a name and you will have to brush it off. When that same person continues with the same action or even worse calls the adminstrator a name then we have to spring into action again. Sometimes it's just deleting the posts or threads and then other times it's both that and banning the member. It's usually not fun banning a member but it is a necessary evil.

Make sure you take a chance to read the rules of the forum so that you know what and what not is allowed. Every once in a while thank your moderator for the job they do. It isn't always easy.

Being a moderator on a site is an un-paid position of authority. To be awarded and maintain this position you must post often, post and be concerned with the best interests of the forum you are serving. You must also be somewhat knowledgable of the material the site is presenting.

To also serve you must have thick skin. This is so that when members throw sticks and stones at you you will not get hurt because they will bounce off your thick skin.

You must also have little to none feelings. This keeps you from getting upset or crying when someone calls you a name.

Everyonce in a while you get to have some fun. You eventually will find a new spammer filling up the forum with spam in a can. Then the fun begins. You get to delete all the threads as spam and ban the spammer and sometime ban their IP address.

Everyonce in a while someone will call you a name or another member of the forum a name and you will have to brush it off. When that same person continues with the same action or even worse calls the adminstrator a name then we have to spring into action again. Sometimes it's just deleting the posts or threads and then other times it's both that and banning the member. It's usually not fun banning a member but it is a necessary evil.

Make sure you take a chance to read the rules of the forum so that you know what and what not is allowed. Every once in a while thank your moderator for the job they do. It isn't always easy.
Thanks for your input. I am going to need to to send you a pm in regards to something that is going on.....

BOOHOO. Who cares. Steve
Ummmm, thanks for your input, I guess. But maybe you could explain to me how your response answered my question, which apparently you did not comprehend, do the moderators have the right to express there opinions on the site or are we simply here to baby sit? Do me a favor, if you can't answer the question just move on.....

To the original question, no, Doug, being a mod doesn't mean that you need to stop being you.

I find that I like being a mod.

It's not the problems that weigh me down about the job, it's the solutions that lift me up.

It's having a person come in and violate the unwritten rules and walking them through it without them getting into a huff and leaving, as they can - and have - become valuable members to the online community.

It's having someone having issues with getting pics posted, either cause they don't know how, or having issues getting 'em resized to be uploaded and volunteering to help put the pics up. People have pride in their rides and want to show 'em off.

Personally, Doug, I believe you're doing a damned fine job. You and the other mods have your hands full helping out on a site this large and you're doing a good job at it. You're doing your job with tact and straightforwardness at the same time, which can be a real balancing act.

The whiners are going to be the whiners and will find anything to whine about. If not you, then they'll chose the next target. You just happen to be in the person's crosshairs. Jealousy maybe, cause you were asked to fill a position that he or she has been coveting? Don't know.

Ink, I like the fact that you have the position that you do and still interact with the general population on a regular basis.
I don't like it very much when Mods and Admin's act like they are above everybody else on the site.
I have Admin'd and Modded sites before and have always tried to do the job well and stay involved with the membership outside the scope of the job itself just like you seem to do.
Stick with it buddy, as it looks like most of us appreciate ya.

Not to worry Adam, Inks taken his medication, I'm on my fourth cup of coffee, Robs chomping at the bit, hell we're good to go another round.:thumleft::D

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back