Best weapon for Concealed Carry advise

-
It’s more about feel...you know...the purchase that your hand makes on the weapon. The tool should be an extension of your hand and you should really be able to point and shoot it.

It’s my opinion that you are better off to spend more for a weapon you feel comfortable with, that you will carry every day just like your wallet or watch and that you are willing to spend the trigger time developing your skills with it.

If the purchase is uncomfortable, if it is cumbersome and bulky to carry and if it’s miserable to shoot you’ll find yourself unarmed most of the time. And that defeats the purpose of it doesn’t it.

Also, if you aren’t sure or don’t know, you need to learn how to draw the weapon from the holster and get it on target and double tap that target. Handgun stopping power in the real world is abysmal.

One training scenario I use is 4 paper plate targets about 7 yards down range, spread out at a reasonable distance. Then I draw and double tap each target. If you can get two hits on the plate at that distance, you can call yourself proficient with a hand gun. You can move the targets further away, but be aware that in some states if the target is more than about 7 yards out it can’t be considered self defense.

You just can’t practice enough. There are some very good and very poor training videos out there. I have probably 12 on DVD and I refer to them to use different drills for different skills.

Once you start shooting different weapons it will be much easier to know what is best for you. An FYI. Unless S&W has done some trigger updates on the SV line (which are Glock copies for the most part) they have a 15 plus pound trigger pull. You can tune them up for a fine trigger pull. The powers that be at S&W screwed that weapon up because they thought anyone buying a weapon like that would want a double action 15 plus pull, but I hate it. It is easily remedied.

Just random thoughts.
I’ll add a little something to this, in California (not sure about other states) you can NOT modify any concealed carry firearm listed on your CCW. That is why I buy good handguns. I have a few that have been through custom shops (kimber and S&W) and are glorious to shoot. But they cannot be carried. I do not want to have to rely on a less than superior handgun at the most important time.

Some states really suck, they do not want you to have a gun, for protection.
I had a concealed carry in my former state of NY, what a hassle (a may issue state). Every single gun I owned, and serial number, was emblazoned on the back of the permit card, six per card. Not to mention the media printed a list of all the area residents who owned guns, (freedom of information). Ha!
Now, Im in the great state of NC, (a shall issue state), one permit issued...a license to carry a GUN, concealed.
End of story.
NY in my rear view mirror, Forever!

I am at a quandry why a lot of yall carry such high dollar weapons....other than the bragging rights. You can get a quality weapon without spending 750 bucks. My point is, if you have to kill a ****, your weapon is going to get confiscated and most likely will not be returned. Something to think about.
What I'd be thinking about is I'm still here to spend my dollars and now I can get yet a better piece. Every threat is an opportunity.

I like concealability with minimal printing.
The Best defense is the gun that nobody can see.
The less bulky guns are usually more expensive.
:elmer:
Berretta Pico
fires every time and shoots straight
sure .380 is considered weak, but I'm not volunteering to prove it

Berretta Pico
fires every time and shoots straight
sure .380 is considered weak, but I'm not volunteering to prove it

I'm not sure with all the rounds available these days that .380 is considered weak. I mean I have a Ruger air rifle that'll put one through a human skull.

I also love the small guns. Have a few of everything, .22, .32, .38, 380 and up.
I researched the 380. Seems there's quite a few documented cases of big heavy guys, or with heavy clothing that were shot with several 380 rounds and never slowed them down.
Unfortunately if you shoot to stop a threat, and just wound them, he's gonna show up in court with a haircut and suit (cause his Hoodie now has holes in it) lol, and make your life a living hell...
But, it's a great summer carry gun
plus, I wouldn't want to get shot by one to find out.

I also love the small guns. Have a few of everything, .22, .32, .38, 380 and up.
I researched the 380. Seems there's quite a few documented cases of big heavy guys, or with heavy clothing that were shot with several 380 rounds and never slowed them down.
Unfortunately if you shoot to stop a threat, and just wound them, he's gonna show up in court with a haircut and suit (cause his Hoodie now has holes in it) lol, and make your life a living hell...
But, it's a great summer carry gun
plus, I wouldn't want to get shot by one to find out.

Right. You don't buy a gun so everything turns out unicorns fartin rainbows. You buy one to END a threat and that threat doesn't end if the other party is still kickin. As my cousin Machine Gun Ronnie Thompson said, "Shoot to Kill".

DSC_0010.JPG

.380 household. I've taken several hogs and one deer at 10 yards with my Berretta. it's the 85 FS Cheetah (single stack). Mine is usually pretty dirty and abused but I've never had it fail to discharge. I blow the crud out and wipe the sand off of every round once and awhile....
We looked for years for a gun that my wife liked. She settled on the Kim that looks like an old Chevy. We both work in the woods and run into ornery pigs on a regular basis, We also have to carry cruising tools too so small and light is useful.

Great thread talking about CCW. At the end of the day it's gonna come down to a single shot that will forever change your life. So you need a gun which you are not only completely comfortable with but also confident with. Go the a range and spend a little money with basic training. Then handle as many guns as possible and put some rounds through them. The one that makes the most sense to you will become apparent. Same thing as your lover..... What one person wants may not be for the next guy lol....

Personally I would not put cost as a priority. You need something in your hands so that if something does occur you will know your target and hit your mark. That's priceless!

We are doing alot of publication work and all things related to printed material in Tactical and firearms these days. We just processed 25,000 tags for 1 specific gun for a manufacturer yesterday that ties to the gun when purchased. That's about 75,000 so far this year. I say this because in the life of CCW you very well may encounter return fire. Keep that in mind. Lot's of guns out in the world today....

JW

I am at a quandry why a lot of yall carry such high dollar weapons....other than the bragging rights. You can get a quality weapon without spending 750 bucks. My point is, if you have to kill a ****, your weapon is going to get confiscated and most likely will not be returned. Something to think about.
In the grand scheme of things, losing that $750 is going to be peanuts compared to legal bills that you are very liable to incur.

First, you are going to have to answer to the police investigation... Better have legal representation there even if it seems like it's an "open and shut" self defense shooting.

Next, that person you shot is gonna have a family that's going to tell the press how "they were turning their life around" and you know that there's gonna be some assorted baby mamas and they all will have their hands out, looking for the check from the guy with the nice house and cars. That's going to take a good lawyer too.

$750 will be peanuts in that scenario. I'd say $10k would be getting out cheap.

In the grand scheme of things, losing that $750 is going to be peanuts compared to legal bills that you are very liable to incur.

First, you are going to have to answer to the police investigation... Better have legal representation there even if it seems like it's an "open and shut" self defense shooting.

Next, that person you shot is gonna have a family that's going to tell the press how "they were turning their life around" and you know that there's gonna be some assorted baby mamas and they all will have their hands out, looking for the check from the guy with the nice house and cars. That's going to take a good lawyer too.

$750 will be peanuts in that scenario. I'd say $10k would be getting out cheap.

I don't disagree. That said, 750 bucks ain't peanuts to some people. I understand your point.

$750 will be peanuts in that scenario. I'd say $10k would be getting out cheap.[/QUOTE]

I believe it was earlier this year I was hearing a pretty good Podcast talking about the reality of CCW and the financial liability. I can't remember who but it was a well known attorney and he said you can do everything right and be the perfect JohnQ public citizen and it will cost around 75K to get away free and clear financially. And then there is the reality of retaliation from their friends and family.

That doesn't mean anyone should shy away from CCW just know the reality of it.....

JW

I don't disagree. That said, 750 bucks ain't peanuts to some people. I understand your point.

I get that too... I don't carry expensive guns either. I'm kinda cheap (LOL) for one thing and have found exactly what I want without breaking the bank. I think my wife's LC9 and my magnesium Taurus .38spl were bought for under $300 each and the 2 LCPs we have were around $250 each. Granted, prices are probably a little higher now and we shopped around, but still, that's 4 carry guns for $1100. Today's price.. Maybe $1200-1250?.

The Taurus was pooh-poohed by a friend that carries custom .45s, but it does exactly what I want and I could own 6 or 7 of them for the price of one of his custom guns.

Yes, affordable is good!

I get that too... I don't carry expensive guns either. I'm kinda cheap (LOL) for one thing and have found exactly what I want without breaking the bank. I think my wife's LC9 and my magnesium Taurus .38spl were bought for under $300 each and the 2 LCPs we have were around $250 each. Granted, prices are probably a little higher now and we shopped around, but still, that's 4 carry guns for $1100. Today's price.. Maybe $1200-1250?.

The Taurus was pooh-poohed by a friend that carries custom .45s, but it does exactly what I want and I could own 6 or 7 of them for the price of one of his custom guns.

Yes, affordable is good!

Yeah. I regret getting rid of a few over the years now. My S&W .500 Magnum. My Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Those guns are really out of sight now. I don't mind having to sell off the Colts, because I'm not a big semi auto guy. I do love wheel guns though.

I used to carry a Kahr PM 40. Bit of a wrist flipper but very reliable. Accuracy, considering the short barrel was very good as well. From self defense distance I could put 5 shots within a 2" group. And I was not a very good shot...

As a Defensive Firearms Coach with all kind of NRA (Wayne must go) Instructors tabs it is just super cool to listen to all the commentary and different views. The most common comment is you must train and practice. There is nothing more important and valid than that statement. As many of you know I travel all over the Country competing and teaching with everything from revolvers to ARs to sawed off shotguns. Right up to how to dial 911, don’t laugh! I can assure you shooting skill is a perishable skill set. And I cannot tell you how many folks I see come thru our classes and seriously reevaluate their own equipment by lunch time. I always carry a couple of spare belt, gun, and holster rigs for the guy that simply cannot get his gun out of the holster. Or the guy that has a gun that jambs relentlessly. If you guys get bored check out some training videos on the PDN network.

86C473AE-029C-4130-A9AD-CC0CD414E958.jpeg

ive always been told if you use a .22 for a concealed carry you should file down the front sights
that way, it doesnt hurt when they shove it up your bum after you shoot em with it
I don't know if this is true anymore...but according to a few different reports that a LEO buddy emailed me the round with the most kills (hand gun) is a .22LR. Little bastard gets inside you and just makes a mess. But you have to hit center of mass.
Buy what fits your hand the best...and make sure you are comfortable with it. I had a Taurus 9mm for a while. Absolutely hated it. Trigger felt like you were stirring soup.
Don't know if it still available but my wife used to carry a Taurus 605. Tiny little 5 shot .357. Took some range time to figure it out. If I remember right has a front sight and a trough for a rear sight. Barrel length is 2" so at anything beyond "self defense" range its accuracy is horrible. But once you figure out how to hold it I could put all 5 rounds (hand loaded, juiced up .357) in a 2" group at 21'. Commercial ammo made it much more manageable. Wife used to love to load load it with my hand loaded .38SP rounds. Used to buy "bad guy" targets, with any .38SP she could empty it into the "head" of the bad guy...with commercial .357 all 5 rounds would end up in the center circle of the "bad guy" target.

Yeah. I regret getting rid of a few over the years now. My S&W .500 Magnum. My Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Those guns are really out of sight now. I don't mind having to sell off the Colts, because I'm not a big semi auto guy. I do love wheel guns though.
Always wanted a Colt Anaconda (44 Mag). Shooting buddy had 3 of them, one was still new in the box. Almost came to terms with him, we were $50 apart. I sure do regret not coughing up the $50. Big Kimber fan. Have a limited edition Olympic 1911. I put 3 magazines thru it, cleaned it and put it away. To pretty to shoot.
Have a S&W hand cannon as well. With how bad my pseudo gout/arthritis in my hands is I doubt I would be able to fire damn near any hand gun anymore. Getting old sucks...

Cost is most often directly proportional to quality, and quality is directly proportional to reliability, and reliability has a directly proportional relationship with survivability in a gunfight.

Besides, smaller, more compact weapons cost more to manufacture and it just so happens that smaller, more compact weapons are better for every day carry.

A person doesn't need a Rolex, but I wouldn't use the watch that came in my Froot Loops this morning to coordinate a mission to the moon, either. That's what Speedmasters are for.

I want to replace that $750 at a later date, rather than have the option removed for me.

I almost sold my Super Blackhawk a few months ago and then thought about and decided that once it goes, I'd regret it, so it's still here.

I lost a .357 Blackhawk in a divorce.... It was her Dad's gun, so it was only fair. I missed it enough to replace it. I didn't miss her, although I did replace her too. Actually upgraded, but that's another story.

I bought a used Heritage Rough Ryder .22 single action revolver and I think it is probably one of the most fun guns to shot I own. It's made surprisingly well and made in the USA too!

I’ll add a little something to this, in California (not sure about other states) you can NOT modify any concealed carry firearm listed on your CCW. That is why I buy good handguns. I have a few that have been through custom shops (kimber and S&W) and are glorious to shoot. But they cannot be carried. I do not want to have to rely on a less than superior handgun at the most important time.

What's it like sending tax dollars to your masters every time you buy something, earn something, or wake up breathing? Do you enjoy paying to give away your rights?

I'm not sure with all the rounds available these days that .380 is considered weak. I mean I have a Ruger air rifle that'll put one through a human skull.

Details, man. This site has rules, and I'm sure somewhere in there is some requirement about telling us what make and model airgun will do such a thing so we know what to look for....

Link to a preferred seller would be appreciated too!

Great thread talking about CCW. At the end of the day it's gonna come down to a single shot that will forever change your life. So you need a gun which you are not only completely comfortable with but also confident with. Go the a range and spend a little money with basic training. Then handle as many guns as possible and put some rounds through them. The one that makes the most sense to you will become apparent. Same thing as your lover..... What one person wants may not be for the next guy lol....

Personally I would not put cost as a priority. You need something in your hands so that if something does occur you will know your target and hit your mark. That's priceless!

We are doing alot of publication work and all things related to printed material in Tactical and firearms these days. We just processed 25,000 tags for 1 specific gun for a manufacturer yesterday that ties to the gun when purchased. That's about 75,000 so far this year. I say this because in the life of CCW you very well may encounter return fire. Keep that in mind. Lot's of guns out in the world today....

JW

Your post confirms my thoughts exactly. If it isn't comfortable to me I might as well leave it home.

As a Defensive Firearms Coach with all kind of NRA (Wayne must go) Instructors tabs it is just super cool to listen to all the commentary and different views. The most common comment is you must train and practice. There is nothing more important and valid than that statement. As many of you know I travel all over the Country competing and teaching with everything from revolvers to ARs to sawed off shotguns. Right up to how to dial 911, don’t laugh! I can assure you shooting skill is a perishable skill set. And I cannot tell you how many folks I see come thru our classes and seriously reevaluate their own equipment by lunch time. I always carry a couple of spare belt, gun, and holster rigs for the guy that simply cannot get his gun out of the holster. Or the guy that has a gun that jambs relentlessly. If you guys get bored check out some training videos on the PDN network.

View attachment 1715770594

Thank you. I have come to the conclusion that proper training is a must and then gun choice is important. Who knows, If I for some reason can't become proficient enough to be an asset rather than a Liability when carrying I shouldn't.

I don't know if this is true anymore...but according to a few different reports that a LEO buddy emailed me the round with the most kills (hand gun) is a .22LR. Little bastard gets inside you and just makes a mess. But you have to hit center of mass.
Buy what fits your hand the best...and make sure you are comfortable with it. I had a Taurus 9mm for a while. Absolutely hated it. Trigger felt like you were stirring soup.
Don't know if it still available but my wife used to carry a Taurus 605. Tiny little 5 shot .357. Took some range time to figure it out. If I remember right has a front sight and a trough for a rear sight. Barrel length is 2" so at anything beyond "self defense" range its accuracy is horrible. But once you figure out how to hold it I could put all 5 rounds (hand loaded, juiced up .357) in a 2" group at 21'. Commercial ammo made it much more manageable. Wife used to love to load load it with my hand loaded .38SP rounds. Used to buy "bad guy" targets, with any .38SP she could empty it into the "head" of the bad guy...with commercial .357 all 5 rounds would end up in the center circle of the "bad guy" target.
I was watching one of the crime dramas based on true stories. The part I remember is about two thugs, one a gang leader and the other his right hand man. The right hand man was a massive dude, lots of muscle and mass. They got into a disagreement and the leader shot the guy five times in the chest with a .357 revolver point blank. What truly amazed me was none of the slugs exited. Yes he died.

-
Back