big block early a roll call?

-
Streetmaster conversion mounts, Or shumachers newer ones, no K mod needed. Pound the tunnel seam for the trans, get a decent rear end and a bigger radiator. I got a Cherokee radiator if you need one, wall to wall "all the way to the narrow A frame rails", fits! Headers are the only real deal killer unless you can work out the steering gear clearances. Hi-po logs fit and work good with minimal driver side work, I milled my old HP log at 7 degrees so it would hug the driver side block better down low and that cleared the steering shaft better. I would also suggest frame connectors and a torque strap and disk brakes.....

Which fit better, Streetmaster or Schumachers?

No tunnel seam poundin with a 4 speed I don't think. Is there? Who knows? Nobody will ever answer questions. lol

The 4 speed is probably the easiest big block swap in early a. No, the seam does not have to be pounded. If it is not a factory 4 speed you will have to do the typical mods to fit the trans and shifter.

Mine is a factory 3 on the tree. But the more I look at it, the more I can see my 383 sittin in it. Do you happen to know which HP manifolds will fit the easiest? I've read that they will fit. The passenger side supposedly falls in and the driver's side just needs a double u joint in the steering shaft. But I don't know which ones. I was thinkin maybe B body?

Yes, the B body hipo manifolds work. I am going to use them on the first 383 project. I am going to have the drivers side manifold milled 7 degrees to move it away from the Steering shaft. I am using the Schumacher mounts.

Certainly makes it tempting. I wish I could see some good pics. They are extremely elusive. lol

These early A's should have came with big block's.

How about a 63 max wedge A-body.

Or a 64 hemi Dart G/T.

Mopar should have stepped up to the gun rest with Hand held Cannons.

I had a 65 valiant when I was 19 with a 413 4 bbl installed. It was just a junk yard motor but a lot of fun.

64 dart G/T are my favorite next in line is the 65 valiant.

I would love to do it. I got pretty much everything except 1) a big block bellhousing and 2) a buyer for my 65 Coronet. lol

I wish I could have some pics from somewhere for reference but there are no good ones anywhere that I can find. All those on bigblockdart.com have been deleted to save bandwidth.

EDIT: I scratched the bellhousing off the list. I just found one.

Has anyone tried 67-69 big block a-body manifolds? When i had the 383 in my old 66 Valiant, I used a bell housing from a 65 b-body.

Has anyone tried 67-69 big block a-body manifolds? When i had the 383 in my old 66 Valiant, I used a bell housing from a 65 b-body.

Each year you mentioned is different. The 67 is abysmal in terms of flow with the 68 and 69 better and better. But still even the 69 being the best of the three they are still restrictive. The B body HP manifolds flow much better and cost a lot less, too.

tube chassis over 2x3 rails, 17 inch motor setback, rear axle 6 inch forward, ladderbars, rack and pinion with stock upper and lower control arms, Wilwood brakes on all corners, 528 with 440-1 heads, terminator with alky on a 3x intake, 15/1 compression, big rollercam. Second photo that is Randy Bolig of Mopar Muscle, taking photos. Went into the june 2002 issue.

View attachment Dart pics + others 085.jpg

View attachment Dart pics + others 092.jpg

I agree. And what pisses me off most is when people do finally post their early A big block, they never give details. Like EXHAUST. I saw one with manifolds somewhere, but no matter how many times he was asked, he never answered. I mean, if you're gonna post it, answer questions and actually provide some HELP.

Your cat fits this post.lol

It's true. Whenever people ask for pics or details on exhaust for early A bodies, you'd think they were askin for a clear picture of Bigfoot.

Man I tell you what. When and if I get my Dart worked out, I'll be a sumbitch if I'm sharin any secrets. lol.

Here my 66 Dart with 500 RB Six Pack

310737_283045251710794_8012492_n.jpg

sixpackdart.jpg

BBQ%20Gifhorn%202009%20%28127%29.jpg

That appears to be an RB engine. Can you get better shots of the manifolds? Which manifolds did you use? Maybe some details about what you did to fit the exhaust in there? I would be grateful. That looks very nice.

Wow. Those sharp angles of the u joints don't give any binding problems? It looks like you did a very professional job. Thanks for the closeups and casting numbers.

1966 Barracuda 440 727 Dillinger chassis helped remove torsion bars giving me tons of room for exhaust I will be happy to send pictures plus did not cut any holes in inner fenders column shift disc brakes 83/4 rear end junk yard 440 manual steering daily driver

Really looking for stock chassis pics with manifolds, but would still love to see pics of your car. Please post them. It's not my thread.....it was meant for any big block early A so by all means lets see that thAng.

Rusty, i got some pics at home on the pc of manis on a 400 block in my 65. Man, if they put the steering box out another 1/2 inch we would be golden with hi-po B logs. Drop in like they were meant to go there. 440 is worse as it sticks out farther. If pish came to shove, you could slot the bolt holes on the steering box and nudge it over another 1/4 inch and use solid mounts so it would never move, and even make a custom steering shaft out of thinner bar stock, like a very strong alloy. That wohld get you that much closer to dropping the hi-pos in. Its that close. Easiest i found was to get them milled at a slight angle so they hug the block as stated, just dont go crazy and lose your mounting bolt fitment.

-
Back