Big horsepower 318 builds

-
That's around 535 HP, about 1.66 HP per CI with only 10-1 compression. If I was going to the effort to make that kind of power with a 318 on alcohol I would've added about three of four points of compression to take advantage of the fuel.
I wondered that myself. From what I understand, it wasn't a purposely built short block but just one he bought from a friend.

The 5.7L Hemi used in billions of vehicles is basically the bore of a 318 with the stroke of a 360. So there's one example of a good running engine that has a 3.91 bore...

All it takes are good heads. And the rest of the engine to survive the rpm it would have to run. LOL sounds simple heh?

The 5.7L Hemi used in billions of vehicles is basically the bore of a 318 with the stroke of a 360. So there's one example of a good running engine that has a 3.91 bore...
Smaller bore long stroke makes for big torque. Yes they do have big torque.

You can't compare Hemi's to wedge engines as they make more torque anyway. But it does debunk the "too small" 3.91 bore theory.

The 5.7 has heads that flow more stock than most ported aftermarket SB heads and have the stroke to help take advantage of it. Plus, the advantage of years of advancing technology in engine design. There is a reason why you see so many LS swaps now instead of small block chevys, they are easier to make good power with.

You can't compare Hemi's to wedge engines as they make more torque anyway. But it does debunk the "too small" 3.91 bore theory.
Yep. That goes back to the "good heads" theory.

Speaking of which, I do have a roller cam 318 block in the garage and some Speedmasters in the basement. LOL

That roller 318 short block you have should have the flat top pistons without valve reliefs, sitting .040 down in the hole 9.2:1 cr stock.

Then add the Edelbrock 318 Big Valve aluminum heads, RPM Performer intake, performance hydraulic roller cam.

That would be a nice build right there with good street driving manners. Liking those Edelbrock Aluminum Heads a lot.

Acquiring the reman 302 Closed Chamber heads were coming in at right around 500 dollars ready to go (no longer a available), so another 300 bucks you can get the big valve aluminum heads, with probably the larger port runners and ports, that will accept the RPM Performer intakes . . bolt right on. Can use the stock mopar valve train that came with your roller engine if your roller cam lift is not too high.

Would like to see this one get built right here . . . 350 horse power.

Those are some Big Valves squeezed in there.

Screenshot_20200814-072650_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-072530_Gallery.jpg

That roller 318 short block you have should have the flat top pistons without valve reliefs, sitting .040 down in the hole 9.2:1 cr stock.

Then add the Edelbrock 318 Big Valve aluminum heads, RPM Performer intake, performance hydraulic roller cam.

That would be a nice build right there with good street driving manners. Liking those Edelbrock Aluminum Heads a lot.

Acquiring the reman 302 Closed Chamber heads were coming in at right around 500 dollars ready to go (no longer a available), so another 300 bucks you can get the big valve aluminum heads, with probably the larger port runners and ports, that will accept the RPM Performer intakes . . bolt right on. Can use the stock mopar valve train that came with your roller engine if your roller cam lift is not too high.

View attachment 1715577927

View attachment 1715577928

20191211_154713.jpg

speedmaster3.jpg

Speedmasters. 2.02/1.60's I believe.

View attachment 1715577927

View attachment 1715577928
Let's show the rest of that ad... The price...
Screenshot_20200814-065857.png

That's each.. we're getting a set of speedmasters for that or $100 less when on sale which should be coming soon...

let me guess 40 cc chamber 13:1 60 cc chamber 9.8 with ft pistons 0 deck .040 gasket valve pockets
28 cc dish with the 40cc head gives around 9.5 and a better burn

Just got ahold of a buddy and got the low down on his 318 powered A body. +.030 318 10/1 compression with W2 heads, Enderle injection on methanol,5500 stall, glide,4.88 in a 9". 2750# with driver. It ran 9.95 @135.

View attachment 1715577594
Definitely not calling anybody a liar here but I'm skeptical at this build at the very least...

I don't know much about Speedmaster heads....are they USA produced or Chinese?

When you buy an Edelbrock head, you are buying the head but also the degree of confidence in their manufacturing and the R&D that went into the head. It doesn't matter if a head makes 3 percent more power if it has porosity issues or loses a valve seat after a couple years.

When you buy an Edelbrock head, you are buying the head but also the degree of confidence in their manufacturing and the R&D that went into the head. It doesn't matter if a head makes 3 percent more power if it has porosity issues or loses a valve seat after a couple years.
Chinese A bunch of us bought them last Black Friday. There are a dozen or so threads about them . @j par

Speedmaster head thread index

Chinese and from all indications better quality...

See hear is the faults perpetuation of bullcrap..... start right off saying you don't know much about them and then go on to say how they're going to lose a valve in a couple of years... Solely because the fact that they're Chinese LOL... This is precisely why I bought them because there was no fact about them except for naysayers that knew nothing about them...

See hear is the faults perpetuation of bullcrap..... start right off saying you don't know much about them and then go on to say how they're going to lose a valve in a couple of years... Solely because the fact that they're Chinese LOL... This is precisely why I bought them because there was no fact about them except for naysayers that knew nothing about them...
Yep, we did pretty much everything but cut them apart. They are a nice head especially for the price.

I bet if you could see them side by side, and there was no name on them, you would buy the Speedmasters. Edelbrock's casting quality has went way down in recent years.

I wouldn't if you told me they were made in China and the Eddies were made here. I can't say I never buy anything Chinese....but I sure try.

It's amazing, and sad, the average American doesn't understand how big an enemy China is. People only understand bullets and uniforms and tanks.....by the time those show up, it's too late.

If you came home and found some guy in bed with your wife doing things she always told you were disgusting...would you make him a sandwich and bring him a beer and offer to go out an wax his car while he finished up?

I wouldn't if you told me they were made in China and the Eddies were made here. I can't say I never buy anything Chinese....but I sure try.

It's amazing, and sad, the average American doesn't understand how big an enemy China is. People only understand bullets and uniforms and tanks.....by the time those show up, it's too late.

If you came home and found some guy in bed with your wife doing things she always told you were disgusting...would you make him a sandwich and bring him a beer and offer to go out an wax his car while he finished up?
True that but let's save that for another forum. Like the News and Politics forum.

I like looking into these 318s, good engines.

I don't need a boat load of power, but when I open up the 4 barrel I want something there.

There are a few challenges with keeping the intake runners the same size as the head ports. When you get your combo figured out they run out real nice.

Pictured here is a 318 roller engine that I was able to buy the good 302 closed chamber heads off of for 250 dollars for the pair out of Jacksonville Florida. Got them on my 318 Truck now after a fresh valve job.

Knowing what I know now I should have taken the short block too, with the good compression pistons in it and the roller cam setup.

Lol . . Fun building them, more fun when they are up and running . . .

0217181441.jpg

-
Back