Big horsepower 318 builds

-
you'd be wrong.

I don't think you'd need to spin it 8k to make 500 hp, probably more like 7500 at most maybe less if you did a good job with the combo, but ya you'd probably be shifting and crossing the finish line up there.

Last edited:
IF the combo is set up to make HP "up there"..... IF not, then power drops off and the car slows up. I've played "shifting" games at the strip, and there is a happy spot for every engine. Can you spin it more??? Yep! I spun a 340 7200 RPM's and slowed up a 1/2 second vs 6000 rpms. It's wherever the power band is set up to run. BUT, you don't NEED 8500 rpm's to run 9's. To many of them doing it at 6500- 7k.

That’s a circular argument. Who in the hell builds an engine that shifts at 7000 and then handicaps it with 5000 RPM parts.

That, is the definition of RETARDED.

Got a line on another 318 Roller Engine, may have to go check this out this weekend.

Screenshot_20200814-213236_Gallery.jpg

To get out of the minds "318 vs ***", lets look at a single cubic inch. 360 per say. Some build them to shift at 7200 rpms all day and do it going 11's in the 1/4. Some build them and shift at mid 6k and run mid 9's. Why would that be?? Because it's about how well the heads are flowing, and a cam to match, and a intake/carb to sit on top of it that compliments the design of the build. I bet my 318 makes more power at 5000 rpms than a stock '73 340, and I have less of just about everything. Why would my smaller engine make as much or more power at the same rpm??? Is it my smaller valves? Or less compression? I don't say this sarcastically, I say it because there is a theory that one HAS to spin the daylights out of the smaller engine to make equal power. Simply not the truth.

Who are you trying to kid. If you think an engine is just an Air Pump then by your own definition the only way to increase HP per CI is through Volumetric Efficiency.

Throwing parts at an engine will only get you so far.......

Cue everyone running “fast” shifting at 6200. It doesn’t change the fact that RPM makes horsepower.[/QUOTE]
Got a line on another 318 Roller Engine, may have to go check this out this weekend.

View attachment 1715578389
And save the transmission. I threw away a lock up 904. :BangHead::BangHead: You can get mild performance lock up converters for them and pick up a little mileage along the way.

I don’t see anyone saying it can’t be done.
I think what it boils down to is..... when it comes to actually laying down your $$$ and building it......it would appear(by the shear lack of abundant 500hp 318 builds) that most people opt to get those extra hp that you get from the added cubes....... and not spending any more for it.

It’s just economics.
Same reason 440’s are more popular than 413’s, and 400’s are more sought after than 361’s.

I’d love to see someone step up and do a legit, dyno tested/verified 500hp build with a stock stroke 318.
Show everyone exactly what it takes.

The fairly high effort enginemasters build came up 23hp shy.

Agreed.
You don't see them because they don't exist in nature outside of the local cruise night and usually the only proof is the owner's mouth. Show me a 500hp 318 on a dyno and I'll point out the lack of any belt driven accessories, hood clearance limitations, and a real exhaust. Aside from pushing the power band up, I think the stroke and bore size is more of a limitation than we think in terms of having good heads "available".

Who are you trying to kid. If you think an engine is just an Air Pump then by your own definition the only way to increase HP per CI is through Volumetric Efficiency.

Throwing parts at an engine will only get you so far.......

I didn't know it was April Fools Day. Shoot, if it's not moving air, let's plug the carb and exhaust - stuff some rags in there. Shouldn't effect HP at all, after all, we know air flow doesn't matter :D

Glad I have grown old all that goes with it!!

What make sens to me is that you only put the amount of dollars into a build, any build, and not just drive train, up to the point where it will stop making sense. The point of demenishing returns someone called it maybe.

I didn't know it was April Fools Day. Shoot, if it's not moving air, let's plug the carb and exhaust - stuff some rags in there. Shouldn't effect HP at all, after all, we know air flow doesn't matter :D

You did say this earlier did you not?

"I say it because there is a theory that one HAS to spin the daylights out of the smaller engine to make equal power. Simply not the truth."

So you're not gonna put more air through it but your gonna make more power how............

You did say this earlier did you not?

"I say it because there is a theory that one HAS to spin the daylights out of the smaller engine to make equal power. Simply not the truth."

So you're not gonna put more air through it but your gonna make more power how............
Did you know a 318 with a 4bbl, ported heads, 340 cam and headers will flow more air at 5000 rpms than a 318 2bbl that's 100% stock???? Hmmmm.... same RPM but more flow.

Cue everyone running “fast” shifting at 6200. It doesn’t change the fact that RPM makes horsepower.

And save the transmission. I threw away a lock up 904. :BangHead::BangHead: You can get mild performance lock up converters for them and pick up a little mileage along the way.[/QUOTE]

OK TTM, was wondering what transmission that was looking at it from the photo, came out of a '91 Dakota.

The other '91 318 roller I got came out of a W150 4x4, that had the 727 based trans behind it. That trans happens to be the Non-Lockup type, some were lockup some not. You count the pins on the electronic plug to determine. Think this one was a 2 pin if I remember correctly.

Still have that trans and converter . . .

20200530_181512.jpg

Agreed.
You don't see them because they don't exist in nature outside of the local cruise night and usually the only proof is the owner's mouth. Show me a 500hp 318 on a dyno and I'll point out the lack of any belt driven accessories, hood clearance limitations, and a real exhaust. Aside from pushing the power band up, I think the stroke and bore size is more of a limitation than we think in terms of having good heads "available".

Anyone who uses the dyno with dyno headers, ignition, carb and all that is wasting their time and money. If you are running a mechanical fuel pump you should be using that too, along with the alternator and water pump too.

With the heads available (the W2 has been around for decades and those heads will EASILY make 500 HP on a 318 or anything else) like the TF stuff that 500 HP is like oatmeal. It’s easy to do.

And save the transmission. I threw away a lock up 904. :BangHead::BangHead: You can get mild performance lock up converters for them and pick up a little mileage along the way.

OK TTM, was wondering what transmission that was looking at it from the photo, came out of a '91 Dakota.

The other '91 318 roller I got came out of a W150 4x4, that had the 727 based trans behind it. That trans happens to be the Non-Lockup type, some were lockup some not. You count the pins on the electronic plug to determine. Think this one was a 2 pin if I remember correctly.

Still have that trans and converter . . .

View attachment 1715578478[/QUOTE]
Oops, i didn't look close at that. It should be a 500 overdrive. (904) but because it's a 4 wheel drive it's unusable in a car.

Anyone who uses the dyno with dyno headers, ignition, carb and all that is wasting their time and money. If you are running a mechanical fuel pump you should be using that too, along with the alternator and water pump too.

With the heads available (the W2 has been around for decades and those heads will EASILY make 500 HP on a 318 or anything else) like the TF stuff that 500 HP is like oatmeal. It’s easy to do.
Spend some change and todays aftermarket support and 500 hp comes around pretty easy. Just not so easy for those working with a 2 dollar budget.. LOL

Oh, speaking of 318's, does anyone care that my new '77 Van is much faster now than when i brought it home??? New double roller timing chain set, pulled the metering rods up, and retimed ignition timing. I just went out for a test drive, kicked it in an yeeee hawwwww..... I was doing 80 mph well before the 1/4 mile was up
:thumbsup:
:lol:

Spend some change and todays aftermarket support and 500 hp comes around pretty easy. Just not so easy for those working with a 2 dollar budget.. LOL

My budget is about half of that now. $2 I WISH!!!!

I have a fresh low compression 318 shortblock on a stand that I got stuck with, and a decent set of j heads. How much power can I make for 50 cents? Not 500!

I'm looking forward to the recipe for a 500 hp 318 NA at 6200- 7000 rpm. lol and street friendly. :lol:

-
Back