Big horsepower 318 builds

-
I've been waiting for someone to post up a basic recipe for a 500 hp 318 @ 6200 - 7000 rpm.
I hear it's easy. :lol:
Toke.gif

The difference will be in the rpm, I don't care how you slice it , 1.54 hp per cube with a 323 will need rpm

Didn't that 477 HP 318 that Adney Brown built make it at 6500 RPM? Not to mention he was limited to a 10.5:1 compression ratio limit, 91-octane pump gas, and a mandatory flat-tappet cam.

How much more will it take to get that extra 23 HP......

It's hard to say exactly how much rpm a displacement will need to make a certain power level Depends a lot on VE% and Chamber shape and CR etc.., the more efficient and higher VE% will need less rpm, the opposite obviously the opposite will happen more rpm :) .

A 318 will act like a 286 cid @ 90% VE and 350 cid @ 110% VE
A 360 will act like a 324 cid @ 90% VE and 396 cid @ 110% VE
A 402 will act like a 362 cid @ 90% VE and 442 cid @ 110% VE

There can be huge overlap depending on the builds.

With the rule of thumb of 1.4 cfm per hp which there's even a lot of variable in that, a 286/318 would need 8500 rpm to make 500 hp and a 350/318 would need a 6900 rpm to do it, add the variables to the 1.4 cfm/hp rule of thumb could be 6500-9000 + rpm.

Last edited:
I know your not saying this but I think hp/cid is where people get screwed up thinking it's hard for small engines to make power.

Just cause say 1.6 hp/cid is hard for a large engine doesn't necessarily mean the same for smaller engines, cylinder head is the main part for any desired hp level.

We know a fully ported /6 head can make about 300 hp so a 170 /6 making a 1.6 hp/cid for 260 hp isn't out of realm of possibility using nothing overly tricky than mainly reworked factory parts now a 543 stroker big block is gonna require a little more than a ported out 440 head to make 1.6 hp/cid for 870 hp and be a fully custom build.

There's a bunch of heads that can support 500hp in a 3.91-3.97 bore the only slightly tricky thing is getting the valve train to work at 7000-8000+ rpm.

And yet some guys are doing it with stuff most say it cant be done with like stock heads.....
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/johnsmith_45/byronwheelstand.jpg

"I had a stock crank .04 overbored 360 in the Demon that went 10.25 at 129.99 mph. Ported 587 heads,.590 racer brown flat tappet cam, victor 340 intake, crane gold 1.6 rockers, 11.75 to 1 comp ratio. Motor in car now is a .04 over 360/ w a 4.100 stroke crank, [418 c.1.]. Still has the racer brown .590 cam and ported 587 heads, a little adtnl. work to heads, flat top piston out of the hole .080, 13 to 1 comp ratio, Victor 340 intake, Crane 1.6 rockers. Burns 110 octane race gas or would be fully streetable. Never over 190 degrees even when it's near 100 deg. outside. Has gone as fast as 9.68 at 135 mph and as far as 450 ft on the rear wheels. Definetly over 400 to 500 horse . Not to shabby for a junkyard headed small block in a car that weighs 3060lbs. I never recall seeing a brand X sm block w/ junkyard heads anywhere near my e.t. at or near 3060lbs. I chase alcohol burning, roller cammed, aluminum headed sm block chevys all the time."

Wallace Calcs says close to 700 hp for the weight to ET and that with ported factory cast iron heads.........You know the ones people throw away because they cant make power.....

And yet some guys are doing it with stuff most say it cant be done with like stock heads.....
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s153/johnsmith_45/byronwheelstand.jpg

"I had a stock crank .04 overbored 360 in the Demon that went 10.25 at 129.99 mph. Ported 587 heads,.590 racer brown flat tappet cam, victor 340 intake, crane gold 1.6 rockers, 11.75 to 1 comp ratio. Motor in car now is a .04 over 360/ w a 4.100 stroke crank, [418 c.1.]. Still has the racer brown .590 cam and ported 587 heads, a little adtnl. work to heads, flat top piston out of the hole .080, 13 to 1 comp ratio, Victor 340 intake, Crane 1.6 rockers. Burns 110 octane race gas or would be fully streetable. Never over 190 degrees even when it's near 100 deg. outside. Has gone as fast as 9.68 at 135 mph and as far as 450 ft on the rear wheels. Definetly over 400 to 500 horse . Not to shabby for a junkyard headed small block in a car that weighs 3060lbs. I never recall seeing a brand X sm block w/ junkyard heads anywhere near my e.t. at or near 3060lbs. I chase alcohol burning, roller cammed, aluminum headed sm block chevys all the time."

Wallace Calcs says close to 700 hp for the weight to ET and that with ported factory cast iron heads.........You know the ones people throw away because they cant make power.....
And how do we know you're not just blowing wind up are wa- zoo...
There's a guy in the small-block part of the forum he's got his car doing 9000 RPMs....

Well there you go. How easy is that? It’s 23 HP from 500. I’d never, ever use that intake manifold. Ever.

Not sure what they had for headers, but 1.875 primary’s and a 3.5 inch collector is what I use. He’s a point LESS on compression that I’d use, but that’s what he was limited to by rules.

He used the best pan, but I didn’t care for that pick up.

Add a crank scraper and a cam with the timing for 11.5:1 on pump gas and that thing EASILY goes over 500.

Next, you could add TF heads and reduce the duration some and gain even more power.

It’s not that hard.

LOL... This is an extreme far stretch from the normal Joe building a 500 horsepower 318 LOL... One-off custom fabricated pushrod stabilizers... One-off custom valvetrain girdle... LOL.. don't forget you need a friend of a friend who just happens to have a set of RT super stock heads that have been massaged and they're in great condition LOL...
Do I need to mention the one-off custom ground crank buy a custom crank grinder... Or the knowledge of bushing and blocking off oiling passages and the ins-and-outs of using Chevy connecting rods LOL...
Oh I guess it can be done but instead of doing all that if the normal Joe could... LOL.. most would just stopped to spend way way less money cobble together a 360 Stroker and make life simple...

That’s YOUR problem, not mine. You don’t like the numbers, don’t look.

LOL, I don't have a problem at all. But you sure blow a lot about what you've done and will do, but never back it up. Reminds me of the old saying, "the proof is in the pudding".

LOL... This is an extreme far stretch from the normal Joe building a 500 horsepower 318 LOL... One-off custom fabricated pushrod stabilizers... One-off custom valvetrain girdle... LOL.. don't forget you need a friend of a friend who just happens to have a set of RT super stock heads that have been massaged and they're in great condition LOL...
Do I need to mention the one-off custom ground crank buy a custom crank grinder... Or the knowledge of bushing and blocking off oiling passages and the ins-and-outs of using Chevy connecting rods LOL...
Oh I guess it can be done but instead of doing all that if the normal Joe could... LOL.. most would just stopped to spend way way less money cobble together a 360 Stroker and make life simple...

That engine was built 13 years ago for a dyno competition, the guy that owns it was on another thread saying he drove and raced it for like 10 years.

It's not meant to be a build that you copy but the main idea how is there. In the article he states how he would do a simplified version that anyone could build. The availably of parts for building high hp sbm now is a lot better compared to then. Your saying a set of trick flows or similar heads with a big solid cam and around 10 or 11 + to 1 cr can't make 500 hp ? Don't think anyone saying 318 is the best way to go for 500 hp, to me anything over 425-450 hp I'd start seriously thinking Big Block maybe a stroker sbm but to me they don't make any sense. Under 425-450 hp any 318/340/360 would do.

LOL, I don't have a problem at all. But you sure blow a lot about what you've done and will do, but never back it up. Reminds me of the old saying, "the proof is in the pudding".

What you think of what I do doesn’t mean **** to me. I’ve spent my time at the track, with all the dickheads, morons, fence leaning nose pickers so again, I don’t care what you think.

Get over yourself.

It has been a few years since I had one of my own, but isn't a time slip "just a piece of paper with numbers on it"?

Yes, but it's also a pretty good indicator of how much power your making. You can't really fudge a time slip but you sure can a dyno sheet.

People throw out the 425-450 HP #'s and most of them in reality are making 375- 400. lol

What you think of what I do doesn’t mean **** to me. I’ve spent my time at the track, with all the dickheads, morons, fence leaning nose pickers so again, I don’t care what you think.

Get over yourself.

Now that is REALLY funny, the pot calling the kettle black.

I got over myself years ago, that's why you don't see me blowing about how great I am or acting like a 12 year old girl when some one call bull **** to something I post. If you talk the talk, walk the walk.

First of all, those heads aren’t trick, unless you are running Super Stock, and no way would I have used them. Stud mounted rockers are JUNK. You won’t find many even basic SBC’s out there running stud mounted rockers any more.

Second, all that work on the crankshaft is overrated. He could have reduced the diameter of the counter weights and used a crank scraper and been better off.

Third, you can tube the lifter gallery with a hand drill if you have the common sense of a stick. It’s not hard. And it’s not trick. It should be done on ANY engine with solid lifters and any engine with hydraulic lifters where you want to control oil leaks.

Fourth, using chevy rods is a no brainer. Bearings are cheaper, easier to get and have many more undersized available.

That’s a basic prepped short block, with 10.5:1 for the rules and a solid lifter cam. The heads damn sure ain’t trick flows and most likely aren’t as good as a set of chinese heads with good porting.

Again, it’s not that hard. Nothing trick.

I got over myself years ago, that's why you don't see me blowing about how great I am or acting like a 12 year old girl when some one call bull **** to something I post. If you talk the talk, walk the walk.

Really? Call bullshit all you want. I can promise you I was at the track, getting paid to be there when you were shitting your pants and sucking your thumb.

Because of **** sticks like you, I don’t post a lot of results here. Plus, people who PAY for it may not want it posted. Know nothing, loud mouth morons who think the track is the do all, be all, end all and it doesn’t means **** to me.

Really? Call bullshit all you want. I can promise you I was at the track, getting paid to be there when you were shitting your pants and sucking your thumb.

Because of **** sticks like you, I don’t post a lot of results here. Plus, people who PAY for it may not want it posted. Know nothing, loud mouth morons who think the track is the do all, be all, end all and it doesn’t means **** to me.

Then you must be about 85 because I'm 59, so I've been around a day or two.

I do agree with you about a dyno being a tool, it's a comparative tool like a flow bench. My motor was broke in and tuned on a dyno and the money spent for the dyno time was the best spent money of the entire build.

I don't act like a 12 year old girl so I'm not going to get into a name calling match with you.

That engine was built 13 years ago for a dyno competition, the guy that owns it was on another thread saying he drove and raced it for like 10 years.

It's not meant to be a build that you copy but the main idea how is there. In the article he states how he would do a simplified version that anyone could build. The availably of parts for building high hp sbm now is a lot better compared to then. Your saying a set of trick flows or similar heads with a big solid cam and around 10 or 11 + to 1 cr can't make 500 hp ? Don't think anyone saying 318 is the best way to go for 500 hp, to me anything over 425-450 hp I'd start seriously thinking Big Block maybe a stroker sbm but to me they don't make any sense. Under 425-450 hp any 318/340/360 would do.
Hold on a minute I wasn't saying none of that! You just said that and said that I was saying that! I said nothing about putting trick flow heads on anything I said nothing about something that couldn't be done... This is like me saying right now-- did you say you were having problems coming out of the closet? I mean for crying out loud what are you come up with this stuff....

Get over yourself.
Bahahaha... Wait a minute... LOL...
Am I reading this right.... you spent all your time at the track with the nose pickers fence leaning.... LOL...
I hope we're not going to let this stand as a factual statement LOL....

First of all, those heads aren’t trick, unless you are running Super Stock, and no way would I have used them. Stud mounted rockers are JUNK. You won’t find many even basic SBC’s out there running stud mounted rockers any more.

Second, all that work on the crankshaft is overrated. He could have reduced the diameter of the counter weights and used a crank scraper and been better off.

Third, you can tube the lifter gallery with a hand drill if you have the common sense of a stick. It’s not hard. And it’s not trick. It should be done on ANY engine with solid lifters and any engine with hydraulic lifters where you want to control oil leaks.

Fourth, using chevy rods is a no brainer. Bearings are cheaper, easier to get and have many more undersized available.

That’s a basic prepped short block, with 10.5:1 for the rules and a solid lifter cam. The heads damn sure ain’t trick flows and most likely aren’t as good as a set of chinese heads with good porting.

Again, it’s not that hard. Nothing trick.
And grinding 5lb off the correct places on the crank? I can do that here at my house?...

YR... Reach for the medication bottle and take a couple...lol...
At the very least these guys have you jumping through their hoops man...
Don't be Yosemite Sam but it is funny....
giphy (4).gif

Then you must be about 85 because I'm 59, so I've been around a day or two.

I do agree with you about a dyno being a tool, it's a comparative tool like a flow bench. My motor was broke in and tuned on a dyno and the money spent for the dyno time was the best spent money of the entire build.

I don't act like a 12 year old girl so I'm not going to get into a name calling match with you.

And yet, you come here and argue about dyno numbers being bullshit and blah blah blah.

You certainly ARE acting like a 12 year old girl. Grow up.

-
Back