Biohazard

-
Thanks man ... and to all who've helped - especially with this flex plate bolt thing. Its great having an audience to pose questions to so if it helps you realize a higher sense of self-worth, all the better! lol

...and on that note: What is the deal with water pumps? Is there really any difference between a water pump for an A/C vs. an non-A/C car? And if so, what would that difference be?

Reason I ask is that the replacement Gates water pump I installed over a year ago but am just now trying to plumb is giving me fits.

First, it has 3 water outlets instead of just 2 and the hole for the bypass hose fitting is HUGE. It is, no ****, a one inch NPT thread. The resto heater hose fittings I had purchased gave me a 3/4" NPT but it would just literally fall right into the pump if I tried to place it there. I'm pretty sure this pump ain't right but how do I find the right one?

I bought one at NAPA about a year ago. Can't remember what I ordered though. Mine had factory air but it was removed long ago.

Here's a pic of the one I put on. The bypass hose (hard to see;on the right) is huge, as you mentioned. I found a brass fitting to fit it. Not resto, but that's OK. The third one I just left plugged. Doesn't look the best but, it works!

Attachments

• water pump.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 367
That bulge in the casting for the 3rd tap interferes with the A/C compressor mounting bracket. You simply cannot put it on! I'm going to upload some pics of mine....

Mine is a two hole pump but it's on a 273 V8 and if I'm remembering correctly, yours is a /6. I don't know anything about the /6 engine's or if they use the same pump but if it does, here is the part number from Napa. #58-180.

I just realized I was wrong. Your NOT running a /6. Sorry Bud.
So the number I gave you will absolutely work for you.
I think..... L.O.L!!

Resolved: that 3-hole pump is a marine inboard engine pump. There is absolutely zero need for that third tap in an automotive application and it is NOT the discriminator between being an A/C or non-A/C water pump.

The irony is that this pump was specifically listed for A/C applications and yet it absolutely will NOT permit mounting of the A/C condenser bracket but, as we can see on Toad's 273, there is no reason you can't use it on an non-A/C car.

So....I got Rock Auto on the phone and had my order number ready to go...no small miracle since the order was filled 16 months ago and, as such, I had little expectations of the vendor actually doing anything at all for me. I told them, "hey look - these car projects often go into extra innings and I am just now getting around to installing the pump I bought nearly a year and a half ago but it turns out that this is a no-fit item -- what can you do for me?" Believe it or not, they did do something. I am getting half of what I paid for it back in store credit. Not bad considering the time elapsed. Its going to be emailed to me in the form of a coupon code and once I get it, I'll turn around and order another pump. So, project is on delay. Considering they are coming to rip out and replace the flooring in our crib...the timing actually works well for me.

Resolved: that 3-hole pump is a marine inboard engine pump. There is absolutely zero need for that third tap in an automotive application and it is NOT the discriminator between being an A/C or non-A/C water pump.

The irony is that this pump was specifically listed for A/C applications and yet it absolutely will NOT permit mounting of the A/C condenser bracket but, as we can see on Toad's 273, there is no reason you can't use it on an non-A/C car.

So....I got Rock Auto on the phone and had my order number ready to go...no small miracle since the order was filled 16 months ago and, as such, I had little expectations of the vendor actually doing anything at all for me. I told them, "hey look - these car projects often go into extra innings and I am just now getting around to installing the pump I bought nearly a year and a half ago but it turns out that this is a no-fit item -- what can you do for me?" Believe it or not, they did do something. I am getting half of what I paid for it back in store credit. Not bad considering the time elapsed. Its going to be emailed to me in the form of a coupon code and once I get it, I'll turn around and order another pump. So, project is on delay. Considering they are coming to rip out and replace the flooring in our crib...the timing actually works well for me.

Just ordered windshield glass/weather strip ,from Rock Auto. The customer services impresses me, & I did retail auto parts sales for 2 decades.

Great info for the next time I replace my pump!

I searched well beyond just FABO to arrive at my conclusion. There was a lot of fog surrounding the 6-blade vs. 8-blade pumps from the factory but, unless you are using strictly OEM/original pumps...I feel this is a non-issue. Good luck even finding an aftermarket replacement pump with only 6 blades on the impeller.

I pulled mine off this morning to look at it's build quality (Gates) and, if available, I would buy another Gates pump...just not this part number.

Red floral sofa taking up space in my garage finally got sold off! So happy.
New water pump awaits in my mailbox. Can't wait to get to it.

Ugh......new pump --- identical to old pump. Even though the part numbers are different.
Enough with this ordering mystery pumps and waiting a week to find out if it's gonna work or not. :cussing: I dialled up O'Reilly and they'll have a new Murray water pump waiting for me at the desk when I get off work in the morning.

Ugh......new pump --- identical to old pump. Even though the part numbers are different.
Enough with this ordering mystery pumps and waiting a week to find out if it's gonna work or not. :cussing: I dialled up O'Reilly and they'll have a new Murray water pump waiting for me at the desk when I get off work in the morning.

Awesome. That sure beats the mystery purchase.

Behold, proper water pump. (Murray temperature control)
Part number CP919 at O'Reilly.

Water pump painted and placed.
Working out placement of all the accessory brackets.
Friggin' puzzle.

Love my local Ace Hardware....a most excellent supply of nuts/bolts/washers in SAE and metric. Came up short one of the short bolts (pun) for the water pump so I replaced both of them (ones at the bottom) with a pair of grade 8's. Got washers for the master cylinder and cooling fan which I had been needing.

Also got a 3/4 coarse thread bolt to use for removing the clutch from the A/C compressor. This makes it possible to remove the main compressor bracket from the compressor so I can better figure out how to arrange all of the accessory brackets.

Mission: Remove the main support bracket from the compressor (or vice-versa)

It would have been much easier to do this on the car. If I had known how to get the compressor clutch off, that's how I would have proceeded. Problem is, there is one long bolt that you cannot get out unless you pull the clutch/pulley off the end of the compressor shaft.
I wound up doing it off the car in these photos...

Here is the difficult child:

To begin, you gotta remove the bolt at the center of the clutch, its about a 7/16 hex. Put a ratchet on it and give the handle a whack, it should start to back out. Then you will see this:

The smaller hole is where that bolt threaded in. The much larger threads are what you will now exploit with an appropriate bolt. 3/4" coarse thread, $2 from Ace got it done.

Insert bolt into the hole, engaging those larger threads. Once the bolt bottoms-out, it will press against the compressor shaft and pop the outer clutch off. (thanks FABO!)

Under that is another part held on with three small bolts (9/32 or 10/32, not sure)

I wanted to use a nut driver but didn't have one in the appropriate size. I was able to coax them out using pliers but if you do this BE CAREFUL. The bolts are kinda soft.

Once those small bolts are out, that's it. The inner part of the clutch should lift right off with the green wire attached (so make sure it's free from the rest of the compressor).

With the whole clutch off, you can then slide that last bolt out (or bolts if you're doing it on-car) and the A/C may be separated from that support bracket.

Voila!

So can't be too much time on this reman compressor...

The month is punched out but not the year. But it must fall somewhere into the available date range.

High-tech looking but, yeah, not so much. Just using the high-res versions of the photos I've posted here to sort out the accessory bracket puzzle.

Not that I'm trying to get the A/C operational yet but all brackets have to be in place in order for the other pulleys to line up correctly and I will need to have the water pump and alternator turning if I want to run the engine for any time greater than a minute. With what I have, should be installing drive belts and the rest of the hoses tomorrow.

Yup yup. I still have one mystery bracket which remains homeless and the 69 service manual ain't helping much. However, even without it, all my pulleys appear to be in proper alignment. The waterpump and alternator definitely are.

-
Back