Biohazard

-
Well, it's like this: 245 rubber all around. Looks cool on the back but a bit too marshmallow on the fronts and certainly not an approved width for the rim size. Will probably go with 215s for the fronts and just count the tires I pull off as handy replacements for when the rears are all chewed up.

Well, it's like this: 245 rubber all around. Looks cool on the back but a bit to marshmallow on the fronts and certainly not an approved width for the rim size. Will probably go with 215s for the fronts and just count the tires I pull off as handy replacements for when the rears are all chewed up.

I was able to get P215/70/R14 on my Valiant without issue, but that was on 14x4.5 SBP rims: '69 Valiant SBP on steelies: Comparison of original bias-ply with various radials

Probably unsafe for anything but that one test. Those tires looked like I inflated a tube directly on the rim.

-Kurt

That's more a problem of too much sidewall. The tires I have on the fronts, now, are okay in diameter but with such a wide tread section, the shoulder gets real close to the wheel arch when steering. Narrowing the tread will help and I'll be sure to get an appropriate sidewall ratio.

I also took this time to get rid of the left-hand thread stuff. Boy, hasn't that been fun.

I also took this time to get rid of the left-hand thread stuff. Boy, hasn't that been fun.

Which studs did you use? Beat my head against that recently on my '68 Satellite's front drum, and still not happy with the Dorman part - the knurls stick into the brake drum.

-Kurt

Dorman #610-096.1 for the fronts on my car.
I got the driver's side done but the studs for the rears are a bit longer than stock and needed to be ground down a tad so I was waiting until I could grind the pass side rears and I had to have Autozone store-swap to get me the 5 I needed for the pass side front. I pick those up in the morning and just finished grinding the rear ones a little while ago.

4E464460-21AC-420B-AA88-C7672E426007_zpsytd7eoqf.jpg

Dorman #610-096.1 for the fronts on my car.
I got the driver's side done but the studs for the rears are a bit longer than stock and needed to be ground down a tad so I was waiting until I could grind the pass side rears and I had to have Autozone store-swap to get me the 5 I needed for the pass side front. I pick those up in the morning and just finished grinding the rear ones a little while ago.

Much smaller knurl on the 610-096.1 than on a B-body. Interesting to know though; will file that away for future reference.

I'm running dog dish hubcaps, so the length is less of a concern, but they did wind up being a flush fit on mine:

2uqzlhz.jpg

I can imagine that those Indy rims require a hell of a longer stud though.

-Kurt

Not with proper mag wheel lugs. They actually drop down into the holes to grab the stud so the wheel bolt holes ride on those lugs and not on the threaded studs.

Not with proper mag wheel lugs. They actually drop down into the holes to grab the stud so the wheel bolt holes ride on those lugs and not on the threaded studs.

Ah - brought back some memories there; had a '72 Mustang with a set of American Racing Outlaw-style rims on them and lugs of that type. Really nice design (durability that is. The wheels themselves looked like hell).

-Kurt

I would say....lol.

0470D61C-3974-4FFC-91DF-A443DFD015EE_zpsx4bdwvuy.jpg

That always bothered me that I was limited on front tire diameter. I like the way a 25.5" to 26" tire looks in the front, and it helps ground clearance without having to crank the torsion bars up. So, when I painted my car we did something about it:

1968 Barracuda Front Fender Modification for 26" Tires

End result, with 255/40-18 Falken RT615k autocross tires on the front, 18x9" wheel:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/body-and-paint-80-jpg.1714961694/

Solid work, Mosleyme. Car looks amazing and I'm generally less a fan of the notch's but your car looks 'right'.
I'm having the same problem you had in that the clearance is more of an issue during full turn-in so I'm looking at just putting narrower rubber on to pull the shoulder of the tire away from the fender. Not to mention, 245 is way bigger than I need on the front and, honestly, too big for a 6" rim.

Solid work, Mosleyme. Car looks amazing and I'm generally less a fan of the notch's but your car looks 'right'.
I'm having the same problem you had in that the clearance is more of an issue during full turn-in so I'm looking at just putting narrower rubber on to pull the shoulder of the tire away from the fender. Not to mention, 245 is way bigger than I need on the front and, honestly, too big for a 6" rim.

Thanks. The 255/40-18 is a "track" tire. My plan for the car for the "street" tires is a 18x10 on the front with a 275/35-18. Rear would be 325/30-19 or 345/30-19 on a 19x12.

Is that a 245/60-14? That would be 25.6" tall and be on at least a 7" wheel. A 225/60-14 will give you almost 1/2" more clearance in the diameter and fit the 6" wheel just fine.

So, I'm gonna be starting a side-project today. It's going to be sort of an...........um........accessory to the Biohazard. However, I think I'm going to do this one 'backwards'. Meaning, I'll post it up when it's finished and then string all the progress shots together.

Project complete! Behold!

C55D5AAD-1345-43EB-B9D8-698BDC892992_zpsmbefatxv.jpg

Started out as a green guitar I bought off eBay in November, 2000. It was a non-original finish and therefore not worth much. I didn't get around to sanding that paint off until 2004.

553%20flaky%20paint_zps0ntqknxw.jpg

Someone had already done a few knob and switch changes so doing a translucent stain was out of the question.

555_zpsh55fu1uy.jpg

When I pulled it back out this summer....

ED4A4DAC-5A27-4AC2-AAD6-6CA54680F20F_zpsrio4jpch.jpg

Routed it out for 2 double pickups rather than a double and 2 singles. This meant I would have to add a pickguard to cover the surgery.

IMG_3721_zpsruocrwow.jpg

Primed

IMG_3747_zpscdxlects.jpg

New pickguard cut

IMG_3753_zpsed69mbbh.jpg

The kind of details you would expect...

IMG_3797_zps0gaekc1v.jpg

Fabricating the metal trim. Bright red pickups are a nod to the car's engine.

IMG_3801_zps2d3wqnkv.jpg

Paint

6E8A56B7-713F-473D-BCE5-E03EA3209A7F_zpsirlvcmmn.jpg

Nice car you have done a ton of work! Nicely done can't wait to see you get more completed. I read the whole thing. Nice view you have where you are working. Been through that area many times.

Well, nobody has stolen it. Aside from that and despite the time gap...this thread is current I'm sad to say.

-
Back