Brand New 1989 Shelby Dodge Dakota 23 miles

-
well it's missing it's light bar, which are worth their weight in gold... and on top of that the Mopar Express, Lil Red Dakota, and Warrior Dakota's are several hundred times rarer

well it's missing it's light bar, which are worth their weight in gold... and on top of that the Mopar Express, Lil Red Dakota, and Warrior Dakota's are several hundred times rarer

My friend bought a Lil Red Dakota brand new, still has it. It was the very first one sold to the public and the only LE packaged one built, he went to the factory and took delivery shortly after it was built. I think it has about 4,000 miles on it, smells new and is mint. I seen another one on the road once, but it was trashed.

My friend is a Lil Red Express freak, he has an unrestored 1978 he bought new, his truck was the one pictured on the Johnny Lightning 1:64 scale toy! He also has a 1979 he bought new, this one was tubbed out with huge tires and the 360 received a big huffer with dual carbs sticking though the hood, it is still unrestored like new, only a pro street :glasses7:

3 blocks away there is a Shelby Dakota, used as a daily driver and needs attention real bad, most of the decals have faded or peeled of.

Hey, that's what my 98 Dakota is worth, oh wait I got that backwards, mine has 200,000 miles on it and is worth $23. Suppose I should be upset with myself, because this car pictured used to be an 86 Shelby Charger, it was originally a turbo, but I put a high output carb motor in it.
DSC00116-1.jpg

Suppose I should be upset with myself, because this car pictured used to be an 86 Shelby Charger, it was originally a turbo, but I put a high output carb motor in it.

yes you should be LOL , you too, could have been the next to bank off of shelbys passing. in original trim , that charger could have brought 300K :banghead:

I see that you failed to read the information on the auction page.

I would rather have a Dakota convertible in the same condition but not at that kind of money.

Hey, that's what my 98 Dakota is worth, oh wait I got that backwards, mine has 200,000 miles on it and is worth $23. Suppose I should be upset with myself, because this car pictured used to be an 86 Shelby Charger, it was originally a turbo, but I put a high output carb motor in it.
DSC00116-1.jpg

yes you should be LOL , you too, could have been the next to bank off of shelbys passing. in original trim , that charger could have brought 300K :banghead:

I would say it's gettin' deep in here

I would wind that thing up and jump the Glamis Canal with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc"]Glamis Sandrail Jumping Canal - YouTube[/ame]

I love my 5.2 Dak, but always wondered why Shelby never put in a 360.

I love my 5.2 Dak, but always wondered why Shelby never put in a 360.

That was originally the plan for model year 1990. However, so many '89s were still sitting on the lots at the end of the '89 model year, they sidelined the plans to build them for 1990.

You have to keep in mind these were expensive trucks at the time. They stickered for nearly $17k. That doesn't sound like much today, but at the time I bought one of mine I could have bought a new extended cab Dakota for $11k.

The Shelby option was $3,933. There was quite a bit of engineering in these trucks. Shelby didn't simply take a V-6 truck and drop the V-8 into it. The trans crossmember was moved back. A new front crossmember was welded in for the V-8 engine mounts. A heavier radiator was used. Since there wasn't enough room for an engine driven fan, 2 electric fans were placed between the radiator and a/c condenser. This required special condenser mounts which spaced the condenser farther from the radiator support and closer to the grille, which in turn had spacers to give the condenser a bit more room. Also, the wiring for the fans was integrated with the computer and was fairly complicated. There were also Shelby specific exhaust manifolds, computer, and air cleaner. The radiator hoses had 'CS' part numbers on them. Plus they had all the Shelby specific interior and exterior parts.
Dallas

-
Back