broke 906 stud, while drilling broke the bit

-

Mr Scamp

Mr Scamp
Reaction score
I broke #1 cylinder 906 exhaust stud, while drilling broke the bit :eek:ops:and it's gone inside the water jacket. Any ideas what to do next? Will it theoretically end up in the water pump if it doesn't hang up inside the head? I put a chaser wire in approx. 4.5 " and never bumped it, I figure I lost about 2" of bit in there.

you can always try to weld a bolt to it ,buy you will need a stick welder replacing the stick with a bolt its best to have a helper toggle the welder on and off for you. make sure both the new bolt and the old bolt are clean the bolt will also help with removal as it heat the old bolt now before you try to remove it and while its still hot hit it with paraffin wax let cool and try and remove it.I have use this technique many time always with good results....good luck and if your not used to doing this find a friend that can.

X2 on the welding technique. I use a mig or tig welder to get broken fasteners out. Would be easier with the head pulled so you are welding down on a horizontal surface. Grab the built up stud with vise grips as hile still hot and work back and forth untill you can wind the stud out. Removed a broken brake bleeder this aay last week. Also removed broken taps this way.

thanks guys, at this point can't do the weld thing because the stud has been about 80% drilled out, but the bit has "vanished" in there. I may pull the freeze plug to get a better view and see if it's sitting within reach. Sometimes I can't believe how things go, from bad to worse, but hey, it's all fixable right!

I can imagine we would spend hours magnet fishing in that hole. Good luck with it.

Dont worry about it. Drill out whats left with progressive bits and then punch the rest off the threads with a small drift and use needle nose to pull out. Chase hole or retap with a fine thread that requires a larger ID anyway. ITll probably never leave the head.

A peice of drill bit is not going to travel in the engine.
And if did, it would end up in the radiator anyway, not the waterpump and that's only if it made it up through the thermostat.

That's not going to happen.

Just run it, it's not going anywhere.

-
Back