Building a Mid-Performance 360, for a Kid with 'No Money'

-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
~ The Kid Has No Money ~

Part 1

Building a Mid-Performance 360 'On-the-Fritz'.

We're helping this youngster out, as he has 1971 Duster with a 318 that's 'shot'.

We told him to save his money on the 318 Rebuild, as we will help him out.

We have a 1972 '360' in a 1972 Dodge Club Cab, that we're giving to him
for nothing.

All he has to do, is the pull the 'running' Engine from the Truck {rusted out body}.

Low-Cost Rebuild > Here is what we're going to do.

good of you to help a young feller out.if i were closer i would be glad to help

i assume a freshen up is what you are after?part 2=

Yes,

A 'Refreshen Plus'

Luckily he has a near 'mint' 1971 Duster 318, that came through with a 4-Speed.

He cleaned it up nicely, with Factory Rallye Wheels.

But, he threw on a 'home-made' Dual-Exhaust system, and let somebody talk him into
Air-Shocks and Shackles.

We will fix that, as we have a lot of parts stored on the shelves.

Engine First.

I will post the Parts and Cost, as we plan on submitting this build to a Mopar Magazine.

I don't wanna jump the gun. I also have helped out a few young guys with there low to no buck builds. It's great helping and teaching. The worst is when they don't listen and spend , spend, spend on parts and services not needed. One fella spend over $2500 and didn't have an assembled short block. Sigh... So much for listening to me.... Could have had him up and running for a few bucks more but NOPE! Got to listen to "other" people and he let them talk him into being bilked out of a lot of money for nothing.

Basic rebuild practices are all you need for a good running engine. Next would be the combination of parts. If you want a super sweet engine, you can talk to Mike Listen or Brain Halflinger. There's a price difference along with a significant performance difference. But you, yes you reading this, can do a nice job!

If it runs and you wanna help, don't bother rebuilding it. The more bolts one takes out, the more dollars it requires to put them back in. That is assuming you're tracking the cost of everything you give him which may or may not be part of the grand "magazine plan".

That is great, I hope the project goes well. Please keep us updated! Love to see the before and after pictures. I agree with moper..pressure wash the engine and engine compartment, paint it up nice and pretty, drop it back in...worry about some of the "bolt on's" later. Just get it up and running.. see how it does "as is" and then decide if it is really worth the extra $$$. Good luck..thanks for sharing the project!

I'm with Rumblefish360, I just recently helped a young man out by giving him a engine on payments. I told him to bolt it in and have fun. Next thing I know he's buying 1 3/4" long tubes, fancy ratchet shifter, looking for 4.88 gears, etc., because someone told him he needed it! If he would have just listened to me the car would run great and be a lot of fun(plus he could have given me some of the foolish money he spent!)

Well if you deem this young lad worthy of your help. Post what you need in the way of Iparts and I'll come on board. If I have it, it's yours.

Thanks to all for contributions.

But we have everything for the kid ....... 'Fritz'.

Step '1' >
The '1972' 360 2-Barrel in the Dodge Club Cab Pick-Up is running but we will be doing
a 're-freshen job'.

Step '2' >
We will be disassembling it, as soon as the Engine is 'yanked' this week.

Step '3' >
It's a budget re-freshen, but we won't throw in any worn parts or 'junk'.

Step '4' > We have a plan.

To post the Parts List.

an economic build can use a lot of inexpensive stock parts.
stock 340 darts surprised a lot people back in ''68 and '69.
RRR has a good post on just that.

Yep-too many decide they need a 440 instead of going with a 360. Usually find the car still sitting after a couple of years.Hope he is not one of these guys!!!

Fritz

Yes, we are giving him a 'running' 360 2-Barrel, out of a 1972 Dodge Club-Cab Pick Up Truck.

We are throwing in >
* Sealed Power Re-Ring Kit
* Sealed Power Double-Roller Timing Chain
* Melling Oil-Pump
* Pick-Up and Screen

We got all of these items at an Auto Parts Store auction in Long Island, New York.
The above items cost only $75.00.

We will most likely salvage the Crankshaft in the 'running' 360, with a proper
Polishing on the Lathe.

The Bearings in the Kit are Standard.

We will throw in a set of Dura-Bond Cam Bearings.

The Cylinders in the Block, will have the Ridge-Cut, and then Honed in our Rottler Cylinder Honing Machine.

We have a set of Sealed Power +.005" Oil-Rings, which we will use to take up the clearance, if required.

We expect all the Pistons to be re-useable, unless the Cylinders are way out of Round.

Remember, this is a near 'freebie'.

We will clean the Ring-Lands and 3M pad-clean the slugs.

As for the Connecting-Rods. We will recondition them on our Sunnen LBB-1810
Power-Stroke Rod Machine.

And, we picked up a set of Mopar Small-Block ARP Rod-Bolts at the 'Auction' for
$30.00. Still in the skin-package.

We will 'Power Jet-Clean' the Engine in our Storm-Vulcan Jet Washer.

The Block will get a 'standard' Prep-Job. We will throw in a Freeze-Out Plug and
Galley Plug kit. We only have about a 'half-dozen' of them.

To give the 360 some 'bite', we will deck the Block to specs, to bring the
'Stock Flat-Top Piston' to {-.055"} below the Deck.

We should be able to get the Compression-Ratio number between 9.2 and 9.4, after we deal with the Cylinder Heads.

The only thing the 'Kid' has to buy for the Short-Block, is a Windage-Tray and
special Main Cap Bolts.

More to Come...................

Sounds sweet, lucky kid, hopefully he is very grateful.

Came to da Island huh?
He could skip the windage tray for a savings, but, 15 or so HP from a simple bolt on......

Congrats on what you're doing here :thumbrig:.

I did several engine like this for me and others when I was a kid back in the 70's. Looking back, I think I had more fun with builds like this then many of the "serious" cars I put together.

With all the stroker's and big HP numbers thrown around these days, many of us forget how much fun a "net" 275/300hp car could be on the street.....especially a light 4spd model :).

I suspect a 71' 318 4spd car came with a 8 3/4" 3.23 rear. If so, that's icing on the cake?

As I always say, be safe & have fun. :D

Congrats on what you're doing here :thumbrig:.

I did several engine like this for me and others when I was a kid back in the 70's. Looking back, I think I had more fun with builds like this then many of the "serious" cars I put together.

With all the stroker's and big HP numbers thrown around these days, many of us forget how much fun a "net" 275/300hp car could be on the street.....especially a light 4spd model :).

I suspect a 71' 318 4spd car came with a 8 3/4" 3.23 rear. If so, that's icing on the cake?

As I always say, be safe & have fun. :D

Yup,

The kid lucked out, and found a 1971 Duster with the 318 and Manual Transmission with
an 8 3/4" Rear and 3.23 Gears

I believe somewhere along the line, somebody swapped the 3-Speed Manual for an
A-833 4-Speed, and with a good 'old' Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter.

We have a set of used {but good} Moser 3.73 Gears and a used Sure-Grip. Yea, were
throwing them in was well. They've only been sitting on the shelf for 5+ years, looking
at the overhead ceiling lights.

A little late to the party but there's still cake left. Great thread and even greater that you are helping the young man out. Just a nice basic rebuild and a few fun goodies thrown in and he will have fun. tmm

Sounds sweet, lucky kid, hopefully he is very grateful.

His only one requirement.

He has to buy {bring} Coffee in the Morning. Extra Large, and from Dunkin' Donuts. :coffee2:

Not that Starbucks 'millennial stuff'.

And, Drake's Coffee Cakes ...........

His only one requirement.

He has to buy {bring} Coffee in the Morning. Extra Large, and from Dunkin' Donuts. :coffee2:

Not that Starbucks 'millennial stuff'.

And, Drake's Coffee Cakes ...........

I did this type of "apprentice work".. I have nothing bad ,to say here...( I will not spend 4 bucks on a cup of coffee..That's insanity...)

I got those windage tray main bolts if you don't have a set handy.

the boss at work had a bag of Dunkin Donut coffee, WOW that stuff is GOOD!

I hope Fritz if a good kid and appreciate what you are doing for him!!?

he should bring you good coffee and donuts every sat a m for 2 years!!?

-
Back