Building a Mid-Performance 360, for a Kid with 'No Money'

-
His only one requirement.

He has to buy {bring} Coffee in the Morning. Extra Large, and from Dunkin' Donuts. :coffee2:

Not that Starbucks 'millennial stuff'.

And, Drake's Coffee Cakes ...........

Overpriced as Hell....but Starbucks does make a darn good cup of joe!

A much appreciated Thank You to all who have offered their extra parts.

But we have pretty much everything.

As for the Camshaft.

We have a Crane 'Energizer' H-272 {#150052} with a matching set of lifters.

It came out of a 360 with only 2000 Miles on it. No problems with it.

Lift ............................ 454"/.454"
Duration .................... 272*/272*
Duration @ .050" ........ 216*/216*
Overlap ...................... 52*
LSA ........................... 110*

Perfect for a 'Mild Performance' 360. It has 'Good Idle' characteristics and
as a decent economical-grind, it has a good Street-Range from 1800 to 5200 RPM's.

A much appreciated Thank You to all who have offered their extra parts.

But we have pretty much everything.

As for the Camshaft.

We have a Crane 'Energizer' H-272 {#150052} with a matching set of lifters.

It came out of a 360 with only 2000 Miles on it. No problems with it.

Lift ............................ 454"/.454"
Duration .................... 272*/272*
Duration @ .050" ........ 216*/216*
Overlap ...................... 52*
LSA ........................... 110*

Perfect for a 'Mild Performance' 360. It has 'Good Idle' characteristics and
as a decent economical-grind, it has a good Street-Range from 1800 to 5200 RPM's.

Agreed. A really good grind,in the day...

Agreed. A really good grind,in the day...

A-Body-Bomber

Didn't want to let a decent old 'Crane' bump-stick go to waste. Just sitting there,
all alone on the shelf with matching lifters.

For a 'freebie', it will work nicely. Saves the kid a good $175 plus.

We even have a set of 'original' of 340 Valve Springs with very little use.

They all met the 'load-rate' {#238 lbs.} on our Rimac Valve Spring Tester.

The load-rate will work well with the Crane 'Energizer' H-272.

I'm wondering if your doing this kid any favors.....if he's broke already how is he going to be able to afford insurance and fuel for the car?

Wouldn't a slant six be a better choice for someone who has no money and just wants to drive? A set of wheels goes a lot farther making a car look cool than an engine does.

Not knocking what your doing as it's an honorable gesture. Just thinking about this poor kid walking along a dark road with his empty gas can and 35 cents in his pocket.

Your heart is in the right place.

I'm wondering if your doing this kid any favors.....if he's broke already how is he going to be able to afford insurance and fuel for the car?

Wouldn't a slant six be a better choice for someone who has no money and just wants to drive? A set of wheels goes a lot farther making a car look cool than an engine does.

Not knocking what your doing as it's an honorable gesture. Just thinking about this poor kid walking along a dark road with his empty gas can and 35 cents in his pocket.

Your heart is in the right place.

When I said 'broke', I didn't mean he was literally 'broke'.

He just doesn't have {$1000 or so} for a proper re-freshen/rebuild.

He's a good kid, so we're helping him out with a lot of quality used parts and
some throw-in's that we had laying around.

Sorry....around here broke means you have no money...not that you have a hundy stashed in your wallet. :D

Didn't imply that he wasn't a good kid but if he is a kid then he's gonna have money problems and putting him in a V8 car that gets 15 mpg on $3.00/gallon gas isn't going to help.

That being said, he's lucky to have people like you helping him out and I hope he appreciates it and is able to maintain his soon to be awesome car. :cheers:

Sorry....around here broke means you have no money...not that you have a hundy stashed in your wallet. :D

Didn't imply that he wasn't a good kid but if he is a kid then he's gonna have money problems and putting him in a V8 car that gets 15 mpg on $3.00/gallon gas isn't going to help.

That being said, he's lucky to have people like you helping him out and I hope he appreciates it and is able to maintain his soon to be awesome car. :cheers:

Not to be Funny,

But here in Southwestern Connecticut, being 'broke' means you only have a
6-Figure income.

LOL..................that's some funny **** right there.

Here in MO being broke is known as being 6 months behind on your house loan, your fully loaded truck loan and your multiple credit cards. :D

Reminds me way too much of me helping my cousin on his 440 build... talk about delusions of grandeur lol it took me months to convince him he doesn't need some insane 800 HP fire-breathing stroker just to cruise the streets. Especially when those streets are in Dubai which is one of the hottest places on earth lol.

Make sure he drives the car set up the way you know best before he gets stars in his eyes

Nice find with the cam. Often overlooked, Crane has some fine grinds that work well on la and b blocks. The h-222 is my No.1 choice for 383 build this winter.

Nice find with the cam. Often overlooked, Crane has some fine grinds that work well on la and b blocks. The h-222 is my No.1 choice for 383 build this winter.

Correct Mr. Fratzog,

The Crane Cam 'Energizer' Series was/is a good economical bump-stick.

Grind ........... Lift ..... Dur. . O/Lap ... LSA
H-260 ......... .427" ~ 260* ~ 40* ~ 110*
H-266 ......... .440" ~ 266* ~ 46* ~ 110*
H-272 ......... .454" ~ 272* ~ 52* ~ 110*

The H-272 will fit nicely with the 360, with a few smart up-grades.

Correct Mr. Fratzog,

The Crane Cam 'Energizer' Series was/is a good economical bump-stick.

Grind ........... Lift ..... Dur. . O/Lap ... LSA
H-260 ......... .427" ~ 260* ~ 40* ~ 110*
H-266 ......... .440" ~ 266* ~ 46* ~ 110*
H-272 ......... .454" ~ 272* ~ 52* ~ 110*

The H-272 will fit nicely with the 360, with a few smart up-grades.
Hey, perhaps this will help me. I have a new cam & lifters. The cam is stamped H-260 on the end, and has a pinkish-purplish paint in between the lobes at the distributor gear end of the cam. I was thinking a competition cam, but could it be a Crane? Oh, the "6" in 260 isn't real clear, could perhaps be a "8" making it a H280, but pretty sure it's a 6. The cam is "black" if you know what I mean.

OK,

We just pulled the Cylnder Heads off the 360 Block, and everything looks decent.
Just normal wear in the Cylinders.

Here is the funny part. The Flat-Top Pistons are so far 'down-in-the-hole', that you
need a Yardstick to measure the depth.

Damn .......... they're down there deep ........... {-.117"}

Mother Mopar strikes again.

Are they dished too? Mine in my '76 are. If it's 7.5:1 I'd be surpised...lol.

Yes, deep. I was not expecting those slugs to be that deep.

We have to 'chop' {.060"} off the Deck.

Seen a .100 " chopped off a '79 360 cop car 360 block... It the 360 replacement TRW forged replacement pistons, they "0" decked it,to match... After three re rings( moly - plasma holy with BHJ plates..) and a 175 -250 hit all the way..( It took seven years ,three re rings, countless bottles of N2O to watch the 360 block deck crumble on a long time project...) Just, amazing...

Mopar 360

Flat-Top Piston .......... Down in the hole ... {-.070"}
Head Gasket Thickness ............................. .020"
Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber .......... 65.0 CC's

Compression Ratio .............................. 9.89-1

Mopar 360

Flat-Top Piston .......... Down in the hole ... {-.070"}
Head Gasket Thickness ............................. .020"
Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber .......... 65.0 CC's

Compression Ratio .............................. 9.89-1

The 'stock' Pistons in the 360 Block were actually in pretty good shape for 80,000 Miles.

Besides a 'ridge' at the top of the Cylinder Wall, the cylinders can be cleaned
up in the Rottler Cylinder Honing Machine without removal of too much material.

Damn 'Mopar 360'. They hold up well.

-
Back