Can o' worms 90 degree oil filter adapter

-

Workingdog1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought this car 5 + years ago and drove home 120 miles +/-. This adapter always leaked but valve problems reared its ugly head before addressing leak not to mention cooling issues.

I regress to say said valve issue was
probably self infected by heavy foot.

After finding set of fresh 273 heads years later, Champion Rad, Flowcool Pump, Stewart Stat, carb rebuild etc. Still problems with possible H2O leaks and of course the oil leak at adapter.

Having given up on Mopar about '82 due to finances etc. Here I sit in quandary as WTF on adapter.

At almost 63 not looking forward to HiLift jack crawling under for initial inspection on
what I assume is factory 90 dgrer oil filter SOB. WTF Is up with bolt/plug.

20230615_181416.jpg

There are different gaskets for each placement and if they are not in the right place, you get a leak. That's all I know. There's a diagram around here somewhere that shows how the gaskets install, but I never have luck with the search function. Fear not, it's not a difficult problem to fix, but I sympathize with you. I'm only 58, but as an machinist, alignment and suspension mechanic all my life, my body is slam wore out before its time.

There are different gaskets for each placement and if they are not in the right place, you get a leak. That's all I know. There's a diagram around here somewhere that shows how the gaskets install, but I never have luck with the search function. Fear not, it's not a difficult problem to fix, but I sympathize with you. I'm only 58, but as an machinist, alignment and suspension mechanic all my life, my body is slam wore out before its time.
My biggest problemo is barely being able to jack, crawl, get PO'd.

Looks like pipe plug 3/8 as bolt, WTF ?

My biggest problemo is barely being able to jack, crawl, get PO'd.

Looks like pipe plug 3/8 as bolt, WTF ?
Naw, it's a straight thread bolt. You need to be careful when tightening it down though, as the bolt is hollow with holes drilled in it for oil flow, so it cannot take a lot of torque.

Naw, it's a straight thread bolt. You need to be careful when tightening it down though, as the bolt is hollow with holes drilled in it for oil flow, so it cannot take a lot of torque.
As I've looked a bit at different adapters etc. and slotted or cross drilled bolts yada yada.
What I don't understand is God Blessed 3/8 drive that appears to be the bolt . .
? See original picture.

Looks like get HiLift out crawl AND wonder WTF.

For now lmao

The plug that you see in your picture is not what holds the adapter on. That is where you can tap into the oil passage and hook up a oil pressure gauge or sending unit. The bolt is a big bolt through the center that is not showing in your picture. The bolt is shown in the picture in the third post.

Well..... You guys are younger than me, I'm on my way to 80 this fall.
I just did 2 oil changes laying on my back as I always have. I fought the filter on my 69 Slick back with the 90* filter, and headers it was joyus fun believe me, but I got er done.
The other oil change was in my 15 Ram pickup with thee 5.7. You have to be a contorsionist to get at the filter on the truck, laying on the concrete, but I got er done.
So you young guys shouldn't have any problems, LOL !

Dave

20230615_233506.jpg

The plug that you see in your picture is not what holds the adapter on. That is where you can tap into the oil passage and hook up a oil pressure gauge or sending unit. The bolt is a big bolt through the center that is not showing in your picture. The bolt is shown in the picture in the third post.
Thank you !

I can hardly wait to get under and diagnose. This should have been addressed before my installer bailed, Son of gun was also to take care of 904 rear seal as has a lift.

As access is PIA and limited view I can hardly wait. HiLift with Bumper adapter other than lift blows.

Wish me luck . . .

Well..... You guys are younger than me, I'm on my way to 80 this fall.
I just did 2 oil changes laying on my back as I always have. I fought the filter on my 69 Slick back with the 90* filter, and headers it was joyus fun believe me, but I got er done.
The other oil change was in my 15 Ram pickup with thee 5.7. You have to be a contorsionist to get at the filter on the truck, laying on the concrete, but I got er done.
So you young guys shouldn't have any problems, LOL !

Dave

View attachment 1716103156
God bless you !

I hope to hire younger fellas to teach them and kick them a few bucks as with 4 cars, a boat and other interests, endeavors, my time is precious and probably won't live as long as yourself unfortunately.

Again, God bless, live long and prosper.

HiLift with Bumper adapter other than lift blows.
please block up under the car with some tires or chonks of wood if you're gonna fool with bumper jacks! i know you're old and wise, but sometimes we all get a little too comfortable and play fast and loose with stuff like that.

I had a 72 318 Dart with the 90deg. adapter. It too had a (small) leak. With headers on the car, replacing all the gasket/seals on the adapter, ON A LIFT, when I was only in my early 50s, it was a PITA, but like barracudadave67 said, I got it done. Just take your time, & don't forget to use jack stands if you're working on your back. Better yet, use car ramps (back onto them, that way they'll be in front of the tires, giving you some more room) instead of using a jack, if you can.

You need the parts to adapt to a straight filter. Honestly I think they all leak eventually.

Spend some money on an oil filter adapter and plumb the filter where you can reach it. This way you’re only doing this once. I’m telling you with a guy who has a 273 with Doug’s headers in an early a bodies and a 72 Demon with a 340, Doug’s headers neither one is fine to change the oil on but only being in my early 50’s I hate to change out my adapters - yet.
Only the 273 leaks a drop but every cold start I smell oil on the header for the first 10min then it stops once warmed up.
I’ve changed adapters and bolts and gaskets still does it. The aluminum one has been the best so far. But even on my lift the damn bolt is a son of a b to get down and out. I’m praying for ya.

-
Back