Can't uncouple the coupling. ..need help

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the trick is to removing the coupling between the steering column and the steering box. I need to change it and the seal and can't get the coupling off the steering column shaft. I would appreciate any help.

Have you removed the roll pin?

attachment.php

You have it off the box? Once the top cover is off, it should all slide apart just like the diagram. If it's rusted or worn, might be stuck. "Gentle tap." 65Val is talking about the roll pin through the box shaft, not the one here in the steering shaft. You don't remove it.

Yes, it's completely off of the box..but I cant get the coupling off of the steering column shaft. The shoe assembly won't come out of the coupling.

There is a very small pin near the top of the body on one side that needs to be removed. It is callled dowel pin in the pic supplied by 65val, commonly overlooked during disassembly and assembly

Ok, that explains it...I saw the dowel pin but I didn't remove it. I'll seeif I can get it out, does a new one come in the seal kit?

There is a very small pin near the top of the body on one side that needs to be removed. It is callled dowel pin in the pic supplied by 65val, commonly overlooked during disassembly and assembly

x2

I had the same issue in removing mine. Since I had the steering column out of the car I was able to get creative. I don't remember how I did it exactly, but I was able to put something beneath the shaft of the column just above the coupler. Then I drove the dowel pin from the inside out by banging the side of the coupler forcing the dowel pin to hit the shaft work it's way out. You only have to give it light taps. I think that's how I did it.

-
Back