Car took a bullet to the brain (PCM) - literally!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
We had a car towed in yesterday. It died while driving was the complaint. No restart and no turnover. We look at it in the parking lot to assess it quickly and decide whether or not to push it in or not. We clearly see two bullet holes it the car, one in the left front fender heading towards the air filter box, in which the PCM is located. We opened the hood, saw the hole in the air box and disassembled a bit and found a hole in the side of the PCM. Entry only, no exit. We took it apart and found the bullet and a slightly shredded PCM. Insurance should cover it, but the bill is a lot. Towing, diagnosis, PCM, core charge, and reprogramming the PCM and theft lock systems is $1427. First time I ran into a gunshot wound. And a bullet to the brain, at that!
View attachment Bullet hole.jpg

View attachment Bullet hole 1.jpg

View attachment Bullet hole 2.jpg

View attachment Bullet hole 3.jpg

I am sure you turned this into law enforcement, was this in town and around population ?
Wow! a first for me and on this site I bet, was it occupied when it was shot ?

Wow; expected to see this in Chicago, DC, and Jersey, not in Minnesota.

and that ladies and gentlemen is why you never take a car to a dealership, $1425 thats robbery, for a part that likely only cost $400 new, whats programming and 20 minutes to install it worth $600+

and people wonder why mechanic's get a bad rap, heck buy I running driving cars that need nothing for that price

We had a car towed in yesterday. It died while driving was the complaint. No restart and no turnover. We look at it in the parking lot to assess it quickly and decide whether or not to push it in or not. We clearly see two bullet holes it the car, one in the left front fender heading towards the air filter box, in which the PCM is located. We opened the hood, saw the hole in the air box and disassembled a bit and found a hole in the side of the PCM. Entry only, no exit. We took it apart and found the bullet and a slightly shredded PCM. Insurance should cover it, but the bill is a lot. Towing, diagnosis, PCM, core charge, and reprogramming the PCM and theft lock systems is $1427. First time I ran into a gunshot wound. And a bullet to the brain, at that!

No offense, but at that price I'd just buy another car.

and that ladies and gentlemen is why you never take a car to a dealership, $1425 thats robbery, for a part that likely only cost $400 new, whats programming and 20 minutes to install it worth $600+

and people wonder why mechanic's get a bad rap, heck buy I running driving cars that need nothing for that price

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I am not a dealership. My cost on the PCM is almost $500. Plus, since we are a for profit shop, we mark up and charge labor. Plus the reprogramming that must be done with a Tech II scanner and a subscription to the Delco site to do a pass through programming. Most shops can't do this, and you certainly can't do it at home. Perhaps a little research before you shoot me down on pricing?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I am not a dealership. My cost on the PCM is almost $500. Plus, since we are a for profit shop, we mark up and charge labor. Plus the reprogramming that must be done with a Tech II scanner and a subscription to the Delco site to do a pass through programming. Most shops can't do this, and you certainly can't do it at home. Perhaps a little research before you shoot me down on pricing?

X2 Mopar, and these tools, shop, wrecker and insurance to cover any car while you have it is
not Cheep ... My son charges (well the co he works for) $72 an hour when they need him in the field across the country, they fly him to some locations
scary chit and working on train packs/units. If that car catches on fire or hurts equipment it will come out of your pocket... Got to keep the shop afloat :cheers:

I'm sorry if I offend you but the car isn't worth what was charged. at $1400 I would have let the insurance write it off, cut the converters off it and give it to a salvage yard/ take it for scrap

you forgot to include the cost of fixing the freakin holes , if it was my car the insurance company would be sending it to the body shop next , my only question is -was it shot by Law Enforcement ?

I'm sorry if I offend you but the car isn't worth what was charged. at $1400 I would have let the insurance write it off, cut the converters off it and give it to a salvage yard/ take it for scrap

It was the mechanic bad rap line that upset me. This price is totally in line with most shops, and well cheaper than the dealer. Yet you, as a lot of people do, hear the price and automatically blame us for what they consider an exorbitant price, even though they have no idea what it actually costs or have not called anywhere else for a second estimate. Blame the mechanic, that's the stock line. Sorry, but that pisses me off. Not mad at you, just mad at the culture of blame the mechanic first, get information later.

Plus, not having seen the car or knowing what it is, how can you say it's not worth the repair. It is a low mileage 2003 Impala, worth about $4000. I wouldn't throw that away for a $1400 repair bill.

Can't top this one, he is the luckiest mother f***er on the planet
[ame="http://youtu.be/0ABGIJwiGBc"]302 Found[/ame]

Not for nothing but I thought owning a business meant you made $$?

Can't top this one, he is the luckiest mother f***er on the planet
302 Found
Every time I see this video I wonder how thick the plate was. Used to shoot my 50 at a 1" plate and it made drill press quality holes thru it. It was in the shape of a rabbit with a plate on the bottom to hold it up. One shot to knock it over, another to stand it back up and start over again.....

Plus, not having seen the car or knowing what it is, how can you say it's not worth the repair. It is a low mileage 2003 Impala, worth about $4000. I wouldn't throw that away for a $1400 repair bill.

I see those all over town here with 98k on them with $2000 for sale signs on them

-
Back