Cheap lifts?

-

HankRearden

Reaction score
I'm finally building a tiny little one bay shop. I'm looking for a lift.
When I turned wrenches professionally I really liked Rotary. When I sold parts Isolated a shitload of bendpack lifts as they seemed the best bang for the buck for a professional.
I sold a few Danmars and Atlas as well
I had a summer where I sold a shitloadof "Pro line" lifts because we got a crazy cheap buy on them. But these were typically sold to home gamers so I never got any feedback.

Coming to the realization that I am now a humble hobbyist I'm looking at the Amazon/Ebay lifts. As they are a lot more affordable.

Does anyone have experience with these?
Recommendation or horror story.

Buy one with good arm locks and get safety stands , Harbor freight stands are better then nothing at all.

Probably already aware. As long as you have the concrete to support it. Watched some interesting videos about anchor bolts coming loose.

Probably already aware. As long as you have the concrete to support it. Watched some interesting videos about anchor bolts coming loose.
Thanks. New 6 inch slab.

Pretty easy . We could install one in a few hours . But we did many and knew where all the parts went .
You will need a hammer drill and a bit . Probably 3/4”….
make sure you place it in a spot that allows for front and rear overhang , room for your tool box etc.

Pretty easy . We could install one in a few hours . But we did many and knew where all the parts went .
You will need a hammer drill and a bit . Probably 3/4”….
make sure you place it in a spot that allows for front and rear overhang , room for your tool box etc.

On a 4in slab right?

4” is fine for a 9k lift . Might want to epoxy the anchor bolts just to be safe .
Is this newer concrete or old nasty stuff ? Ive seen floors that were pretty iffy .

4” is fine for a 9k lift . Might want to epoxy the anchor bolts just to be safe .
Is this newer concrete or old nasty stuff ? Ive seen floors that were pretty iffy .
It’s pretty nice concrete. I think it’s a 4in slab, I’d have to double check, hopefully it is.

IMG_7791.jpeg

I bought a used weaver on CL about 8-9 years ago, one of their last before rotary bought them out to squash competition. (1989)
Weaver had been around basically forever to that point. VERY heavy built. Equal length arms, 9k capacity, mine is a 1986.
About 2x as much steel in it as the Y2K era rotary I work off of at work. Much wider base plate for the columns too. .and has no top cross bar, has a floor plate under which 2 heavy chains run.

When I got this one the only one (then) currently available that was comparably heavy was a Mohawk, I looked at a bunch And it was $7k when Greg Smith lifts could be had under $1500

Air locks. You don't have to walk around to unlock them. I have an ALM for many years I love it. The air locks are convenient when there is clutter or no one to yell for to pull the cable on the other side

100_0409.JPG

I'm finally building a tiny little one bay shop. I'm looking for a lift.
When I turned wrenches professionally I really liked Rotary. When I sold parts Isolated a shitload of bendpack lifts as they seemed the best bang for the buck for a professional.
I sold a few Danmars and Atlas as well
I had a summer where I sold a shitloadof "Pro line" lifts because we got a crazy cheap buy on them. But these were typically sold to home gamers so I never got any feedback.

Coming to the realization that I am now a humble hobbyist I'm looking at the Amazon/Ebay lifts. As they are a lot more affordable.

Does anyone have experience with these?
Recommendation or horror story.
I find myself in near the exact same situation...

I recommend going to your local commercial lift guy.
They will be selling air compressors, tire machines and wheel balancers so forth as well as installing them.

They will sell and have a recommendation on lower end lifts.

You do not have to buy from them but do not expect service.

Nobody deals with lifts around here (south suburbs of Chicago)

there is an air compressor place near here.
I know that Napa has a shop equipment catalog that includes lifts as does Grainger
But even without buying a "cheap lift" I guarantee you can find a better deal than either of those places. Working for the state we've dealt with both of those places for lift equipment.
The only other place anywhere near Chicago i know of is Rubber inc. they're right in Chicago itself.
I've heard there's a company in the North suburbs that deals with lifts but nowhere to the south where I'm at

-
Back