Christmas Traditions (FOOD)

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Galuskies for us, otherwise known as cabbage rolls. Stink the house and cloths up for weeks.
Visiting travelers best bring a change of cloths. LOL

SoCal, so better have tamales on Christmas Eve. We can get some great local tamales: beef, chicken, pork, cheese and green chili, sweet. Outstanding!

Crab legs for Christmas eve. Love me some crab legs.

We do them here too, but we call them Halupkis.

B55C5CE9-DB15-4274-BC64-1FA38CCD85A2.jpeg

Holishkes is what the Jewish call the cabbage roll. Close to the German name of Galuskies that I originally referred to.

My mom started this Christmas eve lasagna family dinner thing many years ago. Of course her crowd was like 12 at most. Today my sister, my brother, and I share the prep and hold the event for a crowd of over 50 at brothers portrait studio.
Guess who funds and preps the salad? Produce aint cheap in winter. I know my sister and brother buy cheeses and other ingredients when on sale, keep them frozen/stored. Try that with lettuce LOL We did pick up 4 bottles of salad dressings on sale a few weeks ago.
Not complaining though. No cooking required. Wife and I cook 100% of Thanksgiving dinner for the same crowd and serve here in house. I fire up the deep fryer outdoors and cook 8 pounds of breaded okra. We aint for brewing gallons of lasagna sauce a few weeks later. We'll cut up some veggies :)
Ripping up heads of lettuce is like practice for opening presents. Happy holidays to all

You be Swedish then.:thumbsup:
Not me, but my wife is German/Polish ancestry. The Polish name is Halupkis. Many other countries use the same name too.

It funny because I work with people from the Ukraine, Poland and Sweden and when I say “Halupkis” they all know what I am talking about!

Christmas in our family has always been Leg of Lamb, in the fridge now, Sous Vide starting this Sunday.

Christmas in our family has always been Leg of Lamb, in the fridge now, Sous Vide starting this Sunday.
Ha. Reminds me of my Dad when one of us shot a small deer. We would cook a "leg of bam" ie. bambie. Gotta serve mint jelly with that lamb.

One of the other ones we like to make during the Holiday season is Chicken Paprikash.

FD6ADE6B-C18F-456C-853D-641D2C923380.jpeg

And, as the first deep cold hits around New Year’s Day, it has been our tradition to make a big pot of kielbasa and baked beans for lunch that day.

E4760BAE-2984-4092-8350-EFDEFCAFC40A.jpeg

With Brown Bread of course!

C35246EE-9D2D-4D85-8AAE-DC088E1D613A.jpeg

And, as the first deep cold hits around New Year’s Day, it has been our tradition to make a big pot of kielbasa and baked beans for lunch that day.

View attachment 1715264126

With Brown Bread of course!

View attachment 1715264127
I could get into this!
I do something similar, but add diced potato's to it. But only because my grandfather told us that this was a Christmas meal he had during WWII. We've done it to honor him since his passing.

My German mother in law makes cabbage rolls on demand. Our family tradition is filet mignon, baked potato and sauteed mushrooms. Served right after Christmas eve mass. Merry Christmas everyone!

-
Back