Clutch Fan Info

-

mcodecuda

Reaction score
This is a comparison between the clutch fan that was available in the fan and clutch package from Mopar Performance p/n 4120759 with 405704 and I05C1A printed on the face. This clutch fan is 3-1/8” to 3-3/16” long and is clock spring style clutch.

The next one from Advanced Auto (CarQuest) 211049 with 170507621 printed on the face. This is the equivalent of the Hayden 1705 which original usage was for a Jaguar. This clutch fan is also 3-1/8” to 3-3/16” long and does not have the clock spring. I did not include a picture of the height measurement since it’s the same as the Mopar Performance clutch fan.

The last one is the Hayden 2947 with D204 printed on on the fan side and 294712823 printed on the radiator side. It is the shortest of the bunch at 2-13/16” long and has clock spring. This is a clutch fan that Hayden released specifically for Chrysler products so this might be your option if you have clearance issues.

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0157.jpeg

IMG_0156.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0155.jpeg

The spring is thermostatically controlled. The Car Quest one is centrifugal.

The MOST important thing about fan clutches is the coupling speed percentage. In the Hayden info, they list: std, heavy duty, severe duty. I always use severe duty. It has the least amount of 'slippage' & so provides max air flow through the rad.

The issue with going HD or server duty is the lock up speed is so low (especially on a stock or lower HP engine) that the engine looses it ability to slip the fan for those - “drop it in 1st and rocket” moments. At that point you may as well just use a bolt on stock fan. HD were made for trucks with a “low pull rpm” need like pulling a heavy trailer up a steep hill. The truck is under heavy load, getting hot as heck and not moving very fast at all to allow air to go thru the radiator. Way different than a light car jumping from stop light to stop light. If you’re already moving air thru the radiator… you do not even need a fan.
Syleng1

I have been using a severe duty clutch for 20 yrs, zero problems.

USUALLY the thermostatically controlled clutches are the severe duty ones. Those bimetal springs can just about lock one completely up.

That said, I WISH someone made one to fit the slant 6 in the early A body, because I would have a clutch fan on Vixen if they did. As short as that Hayden clutch is, there's still not enough room.

USUALLY the thermostatically controlled clutches are the severe duty ones. Those bimetal springs can just about lock one completely up.

That said, I WISH someone made one to fit the slant 6 in the early A body, because I would have a clutch fan on Vixen if they did. As short as that Hayden clutch is, there's still not enough room.
My friend has a slight clearance issue so he is going to have his radiator core moved forward about a quarter inch.

I shopping for a thermal clutch and fan for my 70 Dart (warmed over 360 magnum about 370 hp, no ac, no pb, ps, 3500 converter with a huge trans cooler in front of the radiator)

Ive got a 27 inch plus, 2 core aluminum radiator, a hi vol water pump, an ac water pump pulley for extra pump rpm s
no shroud yet

the distance from the tip of the water pump shaft to the radiator is just over 3 in

my question is, how close do I want to the fan to the radiator ?

This is a comparison between the clutch fan that was available in the fan and clutch package from Mopar Performance p/n 4120759 with 405704 and I05C1A printed on the face. This clutch fan is 3-1/8” to 3-3/16” long and is clock spring style clutch.

The next one from Advanced Auto (CarQuest) 211049 with 170507621 printed on the face. This is the equivalent of the Hayden 1705 which original usage was for a Jaguar. This clutch fan is also 3-1/8” to 3-3/16” long and does not have the clock spring. I did not include a picture of the height measurement since it’s the same as the Mopar Performance clutch fan.

The last one is the Hayden 2947 with D204 printed on on the fan side and 294712823 printed on the radiator side. It is the shortest of the bunch at 2-13/16” long and has clock spring. This is a clutch fan that Hayden released specifically for Chrysler products so this might be your option if you have clearance issues.

View attachment 1716132920

View attachment 1716132921

View attachment 1716132922

View attachment 1716132923

View attachment 1716132924

View attachment 1716132925

View attachment 1716132926

View attachment 1716132927
im thinking the Haydn 2947 will work for me, thanks

I shopping for a thermal clutch and fan for my 70 Dart (warmed over 360 magnum about 370 hp, no ac, no pb, ps, 3500 converter with a huge trans cooler in front of the radiator)

Ive got a 27 inch plus, 2 core aluminum radiator, a hi vol water pump, an ac water pump pulley for extra pump rpm s
no shroud yet

the distance from the tip of the water pump shaft to the radiator is just over 3 in

I’m not sure what clutch fan I ran in my ‘69 440 ‘cuda but it couldn’t be more than 1/4 to 3/8”. I’d have to loosen the stock fan shroud and push it back. Then I put a piece of cardboard between the radiator core and the clutch fan. I would then unbolt the clutch fan (blade attached) from the water pump and remove it along with the fan shroud at the same time. It was close for sure.

no shroud yet

Brooks, just to let you know, the distance from the clutch fins to the radiator and the distance from the fan to the radiator are different. The fan doesn't bolt to the front of the clutch, but back a good little bit, so you'll have room for the fan if the clutch clears......if that answers your question.

I looked at pics of installed clutch fans. It appears that due to the angle of the fan blades the blades may go past the top of the clutch, , Im thinking I have to call manufacturers to get a fan that doesn't extend past the top of the clutch that's selected

I looked at pics of installed clutch fans. It appears that due to the angle of the fan blades the blades may go past the top of the clutch, , Im thinking I have to call manufacturers to get a fan that doesn't extend past the top of the clutch that's selected
Granted I’ve not seen everything but I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a stock fan blade that would stick out further than the face of the clutch fan.

Granted I’ve not seen everything but I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a stock fan blade that would stick out further than the face of the clutch fan.
I have not either. Not even the very aggressive Mopar Viscous fan package. and those blades have some serious pitch.

I have not either. Not even the very aggressive Mopar Viscous fan package. and those blades have some serious pitch.
Actually the Mopar Performance 4120759 fan and fan clutch package uses the five bladed 4140063 fan which was also used in some mid 80’s vans and Jeeps.

Actually the Mopar Performance 4120759 fan and fan clutch package uses the five bladed 4140063 fan which was also used in some mid 80’s vans and Jeeps.
I am extremely familiar with it.

So with the Hayden clutch with only 3” clearance you would have 3/16” and that is enough clearance? Damn that is tight!
I would say so, unless you get hit in the front or run into something. Most cars with the factory two row OR an aftermarket two row that fits right have more room than 3".

-
Back