Cold Case or Griffin radiator in a 1970 Duster?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
1970 Plymouth Duster with a 360 and automatic transmission. I'm looking at the Cold Case MOP755A or the Griffin Exact Fit Radiators 5-70154. I have hard lines for the transmission cooling lines. Would be nice to have to tweak as little as possible. There is quite a difference in price of the two radiators. Any of you guys who run any of them in a Duster with automatic transmission? How do they fit? Read that some people could not close the hood with the Cold Case, and had to modify the lines for the transmission.

1970 Plymouth Duster with a 360 and automatic transmission. I'm looking at the Cold Case MOP755A or the Griffin Exact Fit Radiators 5-70154. I have hard lines for the transmission cooling lines. Would be nice to have to tweak as little as possible. There is quite a difference in price of the two radiators. Any of you guys who run any of them in a Duster with automatic transmission? How do they fit? Read that some people could not close the hood with the Cold Case, and had to modify the lines for the transmission.
I'm running a Griffin single core in my 73 Scamp with a 408 pushing 470 HP and 500 ft. lbs. torque.
Made a long trip from North Dakota to Pennsylvania and hit Chicago both ways at rush hour traffic first of this month 1.5 hours in a traffic each time at 85* outside and temp gauge stayed in the normal.
10,000 miles on my car with a Griffin and no over heating ever.

I'm running a Griffin single core in my 73 Scamp with a 408 pushing 470 HP and 500 ft. lbs. torque.
Made a long trip from North Dakota to Pennsylvania and hit Chicago both ways at rush hour traffic first of this month 1.5 hours in a traffic each time at 85* outside and temp gauge stayed in the normal.
Thanks. And what size Griffin was that?

Query Cold Case about transmission line spacing, they are members here.

Would t a 2 inch core be 2 rows of 1 inch. Kim

Would t a 2 inch core be 2 rows of 1 inch. Kim
Nope one core and it works great for me.

IMG_20230702_155534511_HDR.jpg

I measured how tall and how wide.. Is top left and bottom right openings... Hundred and forty something from summit..

Are you running a shroud? Electric or mechanical fans thanks.

Are you running a shroud? Electric or mechanical fans thanks.
Electric 2 fan. But was told that a mechanical fan is better with a shroud if you can find a shroud.
Fred, do u have a part number or a link for it. Thanks. Kim
I'll check and see . Bought the radiator and electric fans from Griffin.

Electric 2 fan. But was told that a mechanical fan is better with a shroud if you can find a shroud.

I'll check and see . Bought the radiator and electric fans from Griffin.
Please don't tell us how much you paid for it I can't take it....

Can't find the paper work on the radiator but had to put new holes in the core support to mount it and no big deal.

IMG_20230702_175431538_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230702_175455299_HDR.jpg

FWIW, Griffin is made in USA, Cold Case is not. If that matters.

But in all the heat I went through in 10,000 miles I never overheated my car so in the long run it was worth it I think.
If I drove my high compression stroker on the freeway more. I would have to put a thermostat in it because of my $140 radiator would bring it down to a 150° on the freeway...

If I drove my high compression stroker on the freeway more. I would have to put a thermostat in it because of my $140 radiator would bring it down to a 150° on the freeway...
Well j par kinda got a feeling your giving me **** for spending to much on my radiator but that's ok I can handle it.

Well j par kinda got a feeling your giving me **** for spending to much on my radiator but that's ok I can handle it.
I wouldn't sweat it. Griffin is made in USA and they provide EXCELLENT customer service. On the flip side, J-Par makes a good point. Only trouble is, with the imported radiators, it's hit and miss to get a good one, plus, you may or may not be able to return it due to piss poor customer service if it does not fit or cool good. I've had two import aluminum radiators. One in Vixen that cooled good, but fit so poorly, I hated it. Thanks to a very generous member here, I have a factory 3 row A body radiator that cools just as good and fints like a glove.

Also, I have an import aluminum radiator in my 75 F250, Gladys. It's a HUGE radiator. two large rows. But guess what? With the AC on, the temp starts to climb in slow traffic and at stop lights. So, I don't have enough radiator, plain and simple. I'm looking at Griffin and US Radiator options, but it's gonna be a bit before I can pull that much cabbage outta the budget.

-
Back