COMP Cams Nostalgia Plus

-

BsB Duster

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm building a 440 and was wondering if anyone has used the COMP Nostalgia Cam CL21-670-4? This going to be around 10.0-1 compression with Edelbrock E Street heads, Dual Plane Intake. Gears will be a street friendly 3.23 or 3.55. Not looking to do a stall over 3000. This is in a 67 coronet that will be 95% street just want it to sound good and have enough power to hurt some feelings probably 425hp or so. Is this a good cam?

I would likely go with the comp xtreme energy 268 or 274 for an off the shelf cam.The 268 wouldn't need much of a stall if any at all and the 274 would be fine under 3000 stall.

Edit: To answer your question the one you have picked will be ok.I think both I mentioned are an improvement.

What are the specs of the CL21-670-4?

Advertised Intake Duration:280
Advertised Exhaust Duration:287
Intake Duration at .050 Inch Lift:233
Exhaust Duration at .050 Inch Lift:240
Intake Valve Lift:0.474
Exhaust Valve Lift:0.474
Lobe Separation:110

Hey guys I'm building a 440 and was wondering if anyone has used the COMP Nostalgia Cam CL21-670-4? This going to be around 10.0-1 compression with Edelbrock E Street heads, Dual Plane Intake. Gears will be a street friendly 3.23 or 3.55. Not looking to do a stall over 3000. This is in a 67 coronet that will be 95% street just want it to sound good and have enough power to hurt some feelings probably 425hp or so. Is this a good cam?
Should work fine. I used 2 cams up the 292 mopar cam. I set it up 4° advanced @ the crank. My motor is a stock stroke 360 and it runs good down low and upper range. I think advancing your cam will also benefit the overall performance in all rpm ranges. Also take in account some timing chain slack over time. This will help keep timing of cam in its sweet spot.

IMO, just IMO, I would use the 3.55’s or numerically higher gears. I myself would not use 3.23’s. Also, a 3K stall would be fine IMO.
Have you considered the use of 1.6 rockers. It’ll be a .505 lift then. Your really not using the available port flow which is really good.

.474 is bowl porting territory.

I ran that cam in a stock 400 low compression, no stall converter. It worked fine, but to do it over again I'd put 2500-2800 stall for more fun.
I would not go smaller as your dynamic compression will be very high. Honesty I think that you'll love that cam. 1973 charger 3.91 gears

That cam is very close to the Ram Air 4 cam used in Pontiac 400s [ 231/240/113 LSA ]. It was a dog on the street & was pretty dead under 3000 rpm. It will be better in a bigger engine, but the 440 cam above has more overlap because of the tighter LSA, so that will tend to even out the cubic inch difference. 3.91 was the lowest ratio axle that could be ordered with the RA 4. So that tells a story...

With a heavy car, 95% street, I would not use that cam or any cam that is a dual pattern.
My choice would be a Comp Magnum 270 [ 224 @ 050 ] or 280 at most [ 230 @ 050 ]. An Isky 280HL would also be a good choice [ 224 @ 050 ].
Remembering that the factory Magnum/6 pack cam was no slouch, the above cams have 10+* more duration.

No way would I choose an Extreme Energy or Magnum cam with chevy lobes over that. The Nostalgia Plus series are all ground with real Mopar specific lobes, not chevy or ford lobes. I think it's a good choice. It's simply Comp's version of the Mopar 484 cam. It's a goodun.

Thanks guys. We found this engine build and I think we will go with the cam in the article. With the better heads I'm thinking it should make more power maybe 475hp? Prepping A 440 CID Mopar For Street Duty - Street Muscle (streetmusclemag.com)

Looks like a step backward. The much bigger exhaust duration is a gimmick for sound, and while it can give a slight mid-range bump, there's better ways to get good performance and a good sound without the compromises.
Your original cam choice is better IMO.

Looks like a step backward. The much bigger exhaust duration is a gimmick for sound, and while it can give a slight mid-range bump, there's better ways to get good performance and a good sound without the compromises.
Your original cam choice is better IMO.
By leaps and bounds his original choice is better. This is so typical of people. Ask about a part, get the thumbs up then go with something else.

Have at it. Just know that second choice that got the magazine fluff has Chevy lobes on it. Have a nice day!

By leaps and bounds his original choice is better. This is so typical of people. Ask about a part, get the thumbs up then go with something else.

Have at it. Just know that second choice that got the magazine fluff has Chevy lobes on it. Have a nice day!

if you look in the comp lobe catalog the XE lobes and Purple Plus lobes seem pretty similar duration at .050 and .200
the XE cam he is looking at is smaller than the Purple Plus cam he posted by a few sizes though. if he looked at the XE 278 lobe then he would be very similar to the Purple plus cam.

You're kind of a Dickhead huh?

Just as a point of clarification........

The Thumpr cams for Mopar applications do in fact use lobes designed for .904” lifters.

I have a tendency to agree I have never been sold on the purple plus platform I believe the original Mopar purples camshafts to be superior and believe the added exhaust duration is not really beneficial in most applications. But by no means a bad cam.

I have a tendency to agree I have never been sold on the purple plus platform I believe the original Mopar purples camshafts to be superior and believe the added exhaust duration is not really beneficial in most applications. But by no means a bad cam.
I almost went for the purple plus cam. But always have heard comp cams were having many failures. So ended up using a original mopar cam. Glad I did.

This is an area of some contention. The benifical area the single pattern has is in the lower RPM band. The added exhaust is a top end plus. A lot of this has to do with the intake track, intake and heads as well as the exhaust.

This is an area of some contention. The benifical area the single pattern has is in the lower RPM band. The added exhaust is a top end plus. A lot of this has to do with the intake track, intake and heads as well as the exhaust.
As I would not argue this point , I believe Comp Cam took advantage of timing when the purple plus series was developed many cam companies were convincing the public that their old single patterns were obsolete a point that was argued by many top knowledgeable cam grinders. But by taking a winning cam grind such as the purple shafts and putting a marketing ploy of improving it by making a dual pattern cam(more modern cam )out of it they were trying to sell Best of both worlds.

Required reading before buying a cam should be Isky's Tech Tip: is extra exh duration really necessary???
Isky claims it is mostly 'habit' & I think he is 10000% right...
Habit because many factory cams were dual pattern. But why were they dual pattern? Probably because the cars came with restrictive 2" exh systems, restrictive mufflers & log type exh manifolds.....& the engineers thought the exh needed some help.
Add a 2.5+" dual exh, headers & free flowing mufflers & you have now un-corked your exh system.

I have a quart of this snake oil treatment that will cure…

LMAO, so true.
I just have the dunds to dyno test 50 different cams.
As I would not argue this point , I believe Comp Cam took advantage of timing when the purple plus series was developed many cam companies were convincing the public that their old single patterns were obsolete a point that was argued by many top knowledgeable cam grinders. But by taking a winning cam grind such as the purple shafts and putting a marketing ploy of improving it by making a dual pattern cam(more modern cam )out of it they were trying to sell Best of both worlds.

-
Back