Confidence

-
Nothing. If I have the tools, I do the job. If I don't, I buy them and do the job. Face your fears. Your cellphone camera is your best friend. Always have it in your pocket so you can snap a picture BEFORE you disassemble something. Take lots of pictures from different angles and make sure the light is good. As you work through projects, you will find where your talents are. Some people are better at electrical, while others are better at bodywork. SLOW DOWN. Never rush a project. You are not in the pits getting called to the lanes. Ask lots of questions. This website is FANTASTIC for the help you can get here.

Spring relocation, i have the us car tool kit and I'm deadly afraid of cutting into the frame and having something be off!

You can do this! Measure a few times and cut. I love making sparks. Wish I was closer as I have everything you need to make it happen.

I'm not afraid to take anything apart, and can usually put it back together the 1st time. And if it takes more than 1 try, I consider it a learning experience. Bodywork has never been my forte. The one thing that scared me to no end was doing the 1/4s on the Fury 16 years ago. I taught my self to weld on the floors and trunk floor, before moving onto making small patches on the front fenders, working my way up to the BIG job of the 1/4s. I bought lower replacements and spent a whole Saturday looking and measuring. Spent the next Saturday clamping the new panel to the old one and measuring some more. Finally drew a couple of lines on the originals, got e eruthing measured out and laid out. Then I stood there looking at it for about another hour or so before I made my 1st cut. Once I had it cut open, it was do or fail miserably trying. My confidence was way sexy when I did the other side...lol.

Ever notice how much quicker the other side goes? Like 3x faster! LOL. That's your confidence kicking in.

My latest fear is wiring. I have a brand new engine sitting in the bay and a new wiring harness sitting in the box. BUT, I have to wire up fan relays and controller, convert the alternator wiring to electronic regulator, bypass the ballast resistor, etc. Just typing this is giving me anxiety!
View attachment 1715018707

I feel your pain. ONE CIRCUIT AT A TIME. Don't try to get it all wired in a day. When you get done for the day, go over in your head what you accomplished and what you would like to do next. Sleep on it and don't be surprised when you wake up with the answers!

I feel your pain. ONE CIRCUIT AT A TIME. Don't try to get it all wired in a day. When you get done for the day, go over in your head what you accomplished and what you would like to do next. Sleep on it and don't be surprised when you wake up with the answers!

That's what I've been doing. I got the harness laid out and am bolting the new relays to the firewall and inner fenders. One step at a time. It'll get done and be done right.

turbofreek, I know your exact feeling. My dad had an auto repair shop for 20 years and I had one for 10 years. However you work on entirely different types of problems and issues when doing it as a job. In my case you repaired a wire here or there, checked for shorts or ground issues but didnt do rewiring or design wiring. If a customer had a trans problem we pulled the trans and sent it to the trans shop for rebuild. But here I am re modding my entire car by myself and my biggest worry is what if something doesnt work. Thats probably the reason I work mostly by myself so I can try things before anyone else is around. This forum was fantastic when I rebuilt my entire wiring harness, moving battery to trunk and adding cutoff switch and removing the bulkhead connector so I could hide all wiring from the engine compartment. Then there is the body work which I have put off because I really dont know how to start or do and I want it to be nice. I finally dug in this weekend! I can tell you Im not happy so far with how its going but we will see how it turns out.
Great thread by the way!
Rod

funny how that works, sometimes takes me 3 days !! LOL

-
Back