Converting Duster gas fill to behind the licence plate?

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
One thing I loved about my 1970 Cuda and 1971-1972 Chargers is that I could pull up to any gas pump and fill my mopars with not having to deal with waiting for the right side pumps to be unoccupied. Since my 73’ Duster is needing a trunk pan from the spare tire being rotted out, i was thinking this might be a good opportunity to change that. Decided to convert the rear to being completely flat so I could mount a fuel cell. I was thinking since it would be flat, I could mount it under the car, giving more room for battery mount and storage. I could cannibalize a few cars for parts to do it, but wondering if any members here have done the conversion or might have some nice suggestions.

It works on the ‘Cuda’s and Chargers because the plate is in the tail panel, above the tank.

On a Duster the plate being on the bumper means it’s also below the top of the gas tank. Not gonna work.

You’d have to put the filler in the tail panel to get it high enough, so, you’d have to rework the tail panel to put the plate there and then rework the bumper to remove the plate mount. Or do some kind of gas filler door in the tail panel.

I gave it some thought because my ‘71 Satellite has the filler behind the plate. On a Duster it would mean a bunch of bodywork to the tail panel at the minimum.

It works on the ‘Cuda’s and Chargers because the plate is in the tail panel, above the tank.

On a Duster the plate being on the bumper means it’s also below the top of the gas tank. Not gonna work.

You’d have to put the filler in the tail panel to get it high enough, so, you’d have to rework the tail panel to put the plate there and then rework the bumper to remove the plate mount. Or do some kind of gas filler door in the tail panel.

I gave it some thought because my ‘71 Satellite has the filler behind the plate. On a Duster it would mean a bunch of bodywork to the tail panel at the minimum.
I was just typing that out when you posted- ya beat me to it!

You don't know how many times I wished my 70 did NOT have a low mount filler like it did.

Thanks on that info guys. Kind of bummed out about it. Might have to rethink my idea then. I could recess the trunk pan so it’s lower and can put a fuel cell in instead. I don’t mind opening the trunk to fill it, so it could be better than left side fuel fill. No rush to figure this out, so I have time to talk to my body man/welder about the trunk pan mods.

Here is what I have planned for my Dart Sport. I would adapt the Dart quarter panel recess piece and Dart filler tube to mount in the lower center of the tail light panel with the painted cap. It wouldn't look bad at all. I had a hot rod Falcon. And my drag car Camaro used a Falcon tank. It is very easy to mount and the tank itself is the trunk floor. Both the 65 Falcon and 67 Camaro fill in the center rear. Check it out.

20210914_090702.jpg

20220104_080814.jpg

What? Put a Ford part in a Mopar? Ooooh, the humanity of it all...
1695363368170.png

Actually not a bad idea- if you can work the fill tube around the trunk latch.

Last edited:
Though about doing it with the Mustang tank and a remote release fuel filler door from a JY car. cable operated deal mounted in the tail panel.

Why not come up through the top of the trunk or just below the rear glass with a flip top cap?

The trunk latch brace is already set up for it.

20230922_083021.jpg

20230922_082942.jpg

Tanks, Inc even has fuel filler door kits.

Screenshot_20230922-085257_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
that mustang tank is genius! I can get an aftermarket race cell for a mustang and get more options, larger tank capacity and optional fitment ideas. I think you guys opened up my head to some great ideas. THANKS!

My Polara has it behind the plate and it is LOW, I try to find a pump where I can be nose down so I can fill it up. There were times it would shut off and I'd only have 3/4 tank.
2020-12-13_007.jpg

Alan

The trunk latch brace is already set up for it.

View attachment 1716145056

View attachment 1716145057
Tanks, Inc even has fuel filler door kits.

View attachment 1716145065

See, now if I was going to do that on my Duster I'd put that fuel door right where the trunk key is at. It would put it high enough that you don't have to bend over and touch your toes to fill the car up, and that top part of the tail panel has a little angle to it so it would hold the nozzle better too.

You'd just have to use one of the electric trunk release latches off one of the later cars. Or get even fancier and do a remote release like the hot rod guys do.

And they make a version of those Mustang tanks in 22 gallons, which would be handy. You'd have to reinforce the opening in the trunk floor since there's nothing between the rails. Here's one installed, although he added a fuel neck on the side to go back to the original fill location. Heck I might have to do this if I ever go EFI, would fit better than the B-body tank I'm running now.

Doug's '68 Dart
a7a24c68-e3ca-4ba9-82e0-78a32a37aa88-jpeg.jpg

My Polara has it behind the plate and it is LOW, I try to find a pump where I can be nose down so I can fill it up. There were times it would shut off and I'd only have 3/4 tank.
View attachment 1716145240

Alan

Yeah actually the few times I filled up the Satellite I noticed that the filler is pretty low, it's not in a comfortable spot to fill the tank up. And since the filler necks on these old girls don't play nice with the modern gas pump nozzles it makes the whole thing kinda awkward.

Last edited:
Why not just put a fuel cell in there?

For me it's because I still use my car as an actual car. It makes trips to Costco, has to haul all my gear for work from station to station, etc. Trunk gets filled up with stuff all the way to the lid quite frequently.

on top of this^^^ , it will dump gas on a hard take off , like all the dam chevys did back when i was racing , used to piss me off when one did it in front of me ,all the dam camaros used to do it ..

on top of this^^^ , it will dump gas on a hard take off , like all the dam chevys did back when i was racing , used to piss me off when one did it in front of me ,all the dam camaros used to do it ..
Not necessarily the case with all cars.
In the first road test in the CHP car that I restored we were smelling gas and thought that may be the case.
My friends got out and the reason for this test...

Not on drop from the cap or fill tube.

Turned out to be a bad soldier joint on a tank vent tube.

Alan

Actually, the Falcon tank in my drag racing Camaro was mounted backwards so the pickup inside would be at the rear.
But my hot rod Falcon had the stock tank and filler. It would accelerate pretty dang hard and I never had any gas leaking out the filler.

Actually, the Falcon tank in my drag racing Camaro was mounted backwards so the pickup inside would be at the rear.
But my hot rod Falcon had the stock tank and filler. It would accelerate pretty dang hard and I never had any gas leaking out the filler.
like I said most all camaros used to do it

Thing is wasn't the top of the gas tank also the actual trunk floor on those Ford's?

When I read the title a coupla days ago, I immediately thought of all the chebbie guys stuffing cloths in the filler tubes at the drag strip, so it didn't puke fuel at launch to the 60' . lol

A friend of mine put a Mustang tank in the Duster he used to have. He put a fuel cap in the tail panel. It worked well, but I used to kid him and say "Fido called...he wants his *** back!"

:rofl:

-
Back