Coolant flow

-
I always love to ask this has anyone ever had a situation where the coolant flow too fast and wouldn't coolant engine. LOL

I would think that the rad would have to have the capability of cooling faster than the heating rate. If the heat is building faster than it can be dissipated through the rad, it's going to overheat. Speeding up the flow, if the rad can't keep up, eventually it's going to overheat. Slowing down the flow, if the engine is heating faster than dissipation, it's going to overheat. One has to look at the complete design to determine the effectiveness of the cooling system.......Not just one aspect of it. JMO :)

Speeding up the flow, if the rad can't keep up, eventually it's going to overheat. Slowing down the flow, if the engine is heating faster than dissipation, it's going to overheat.
Huh? If a radiator can’t keep up? Have you any experience with such a scenario? I do. Undersized radiator for the application is more fitting.
Then you want as much air flow unimpeded: no flat shroud and/or electric fan that has a bulky blade blocking air flow, a good mechanical fan, (fixed or viscous) as big as you can fit, a high flow thermostat (I run a disc akin to a gutted 160° no bypass hose etc) and high flow/volume pump. No slowing down anything.
I have vast experience with what it takes to make a stroker (not to mention other Mopars through the years) with an undersized radiator (18”x18”) in an oppressive compact engine bay with less than ideal frontal air intake run cool trust me.

Move the coolant, move the air. Period.:BangHead:

Huh? If a radiator can’t keep up? Have you any experience with such a scenario? I do. Undersized radiator for the application is more fitting.
Then you want as much air flow unimpeded: no flat shroud and/or electric fan that has a bulky blade blocking air flow, a good mechanical fan, (fixed or viscous) as big as you can fit, a high flow thermostat (I run a disc akin to a gutted 160° no bypass hose etc) and high flow/volume pump. No slowing down anything.
I have vast experience with what it takes to make a stroker (not to mention other Mopars through the years) with an undersized radiator (18”x18”) in an oppressive compact engine bay with less than ideal frontal air intake run cool trust me.

If you think an electric fan on the backside of a radiator is going to reduce airflow more than the resistance from the radiator itself, you weren’t paying attention in your fluid dynamics class.

If you put a big flat pan on the back of the radiator like some of the poorly thought out aftermarket electric fan shrouds you can cause issues. But the fan itself isn’t a problem, and neither is a well designed fan shroud.

The idea that you have to run a mechanical fan for best cooling is antiquated at best.

Yes, good links. Probably the best one-liner is one of the Stew Com links to help doubters, not the exact words. The cooling system is closed cct, so if the coolant stays in the rad longer, the coolant in the block is in there getting hotter & will be hotter when it arrives at the rad for cooling....

If you think an electric fan on the backside of a radiator is going to reduce airflow more than the resistance from the radiator itself, you weren’t paying attention in your fluid dynamics class.

If you put a big flat pan on the back of the radiator like some of the poorly thought out aftermarket electric fan shrouds you can cause issues. But the fan itself isn’t a problem, and neither is a well designed fan shroud.

The idea that you have to run a mechanical fan for best cooling is antiquated at best.

Re-read this part:

no flat shroud and/or electric fan that has a bulky blade blocking air flow, a good mechanical fan, (fixed or viscous) as big as you can fit

I speak from my experience in particular regarding an electric with a flat shroud w/bulky fan blade impeding airflow. Packing up. There’s much about that exact problem on this forum.

The one I had worked great at slower speed, stop and go, but I had to run it continuously always so as not to run past 215° at highway speeds, (it should have been designed better with vents on each corner with flaps) but one time the temp went through the roof when I had an electrical issue and the fan wouldn’t run but luckily I was able to ease it home. Out it came for a mechanical setup as the possible minor gains at the drag strip just wasn’t worth it on the street in my case.

Yes, a well designed shroud and electric fan wouldn’t be a problem. I never implied otherwise. And I never said anything about having to run a mechanical fan for best cooling either.

Not sure what your post is all about. :)

Last edited:
I found this bit interesting
"Years ago, cars used low pressure radiator caps with upright-style radiators. At high RPM, the water pump pressure would overcome the radiator cap’s rating and force coolant out, resulting in an overheated engine.

Many enthusiasts mistakenly believed that these situations were caused because the coolant was flowing through the radiator so quickly, that it did not have time to cool. Using restrictors or slowing water pump speed prevented the coolant from being forced out, and allowed the engine to run cooler. However, cars built in the past thirty years have used cross flow radiators that position the radiator cap on the low pressure (suction) side of the system. This type of system does not subject the radiator cap to pressure from the water pump, so it benefits from maximizing coolant flow, not restricting it.
"

i.e in the last 30 years they came up with a better system.... the muscle car era ended 50 years ago

1) this thread was prompted by another thread
2) the car in question was described as mostly standard apart from rear gearing that rasied the cruise rpm on the highway quite a bit.
3) its mostly standard so it has an upright radiator with a 1960s style cap.... i.e in comparison to what you find today on a modern car, according to the quote above, the cap is potentially vulnerable to pressure problems.
4) "Many enthusiatsts" could have been wrong or right on the issue quoted above, it depends on radiator efficency, how hot the motor gets and if the appariasl of the siutation quoted above is correct.
5) slowing the flow stopped the cap venting and the car didn't overheat becasue it "allowed it to run cooler" regardless of if that was becasue it was venting due to pressure and a crap cap and then overheating. Or if it was overaheating causing the cap to vent.

Slowing the flow made the issue go away for those running upright radiator and a low pressure cap in a position vulnerable to venting due to system pressure.

so there was a well known solution to stop you, i won't say "over heating", loseing all ya coolant, that worked for old style radiator and cap set ups. and you are saying becasue it worked Its WRONG wrong wrong wrong...

6) the OP is running a low pressure cap and has an upright radiator
7) providing quotes from companies who have a vested interest in selling their own kit based on thieir own appriasal of a situation does not necessarily mean that their apppriasal of the situation is correct it could mean that it is biased in order to sell more kit. I suspect as they are talking about systems built with 21st centrury knowledge and research, that if you do as they say, "buy our kit", all will be well. Most of us are not doing that.

I presume if i was to buy a full set up from the supplier you quote i would get a matched set of components, pump capacity, beautifully matched to a radiator where fin design, bore no. of passes and the material it is made from have been scientificlly tested for the best outcome. I'd get appropriate pipes with or without a spring dpending on their bore and material, and a themostat that provides in this case no restriction becasue the pump causes such a pressure difference that that chances of cavitation are reduced.

Basiclaly id be running a modern style radiator at a much higher pressure with its cap in a much less vulnerable position to avoid inadvertant venting, and i'd be pumping that coolant Damn fast. All would be well, it may well be the best cooling system ever... and i'd be really pleased with it, everything they say in their documents would be correct for my all NEW KIT

BUT the OP in the other thread is running a 1950s designed cooling system and he is spinning that pump way faster for sustained periods of time on the freeway with his drag race oriented gears.

applying 1 part of the theory discussed in your numerouse linked documents....
one advancement in thinking from the last 30 years and leaving that same old pump that same old stat and that same old radiator technology in place will not get the results he wants. he just wants to drive it down the freeway without a 2 gallon bucket of water in the trunk.

applying Modern thinking based on a new design of cooling system, that many of us will Never ever have, to every request for help from people running antiquated systems.
Then being so damn stroppy about it doesn't help any one, it just blows his thread out to 4 pages...

and you had the temerity to suggest i was being arrogant

lets look at this another way, If I applied those tiles they used on the space shuttle to the front of my valiant it doesn't mean i'd survive re entry

I'd need the suit and the rest of the bleeding kit to go with them...

I belive you are probably a very knowledgeable man I could learn a lot from you. But you are not gonna get the chance to pass that knowledge on unless you change your attitude.

that seems sad.

please note i never said you were wrong....!

Dave

Last edited:

Exactly.............One has to look at the complete design to determine the effectiveness of the cooling system.......Not just one aspect of it. JMO :)

16lb on mine can't say if correct as i don't have the book close but i belive it to be the case.

running too high presure cap doesn't dictate the pressure in the system. it just means you find out that a problem creating a higher than normal pressure exists later than you would have done, and potentially in a more spectacular way

16lb on mine 6 cylinder first then 8. Australian heat may be different... ! :) note the use of the 177-184F thermostat.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
I found this bit interesting
"Years ago, cars used low pressure radiator caps with upright-style radiators. At high RPM, the water pump pressure would overcome the radiator cap’s rating and force coolant out, resulting in an overheated engine.

Many enthusiasts mistakenly believed that these situations were caused because the coolant was flowing through the radiator so quickly, that it did not have time to cool. Using restrictors or slowing water pump speed prevented the coolant from being forced out, and allowed the engine to run cooler. However, cars built in the past thirty years have used cross flow radiators that position the radiator cap on the low pressure (suction) side of the system. This type of system does not subject the radiator cap to pressure from the water pump, so it benefits from maximizing coolant flow, not restricting it.
"

i.e in the last 30 years they came up with a better system.... the muscle car era ended 50 years ago

1) this thread was prompted by another thread
2) the car in question was described as mostly standard apart from rear gearing that rasied the cruise rpm on the highway quite a bit.
3) its mostly standard so it has an upright radiator with a 1960s style cap.... i.e in comparison to what you find today on a modern car, according to the quote above, the cap is potentially vulnerable to pressure problems.
4) "Many enthusiatsts" could have been wrong or right on the issue quoted above, it depends on radiator efficency, how hot the motor gets and if the appariasl of the siutation quoted above is correct.
5) slowing the flow stopped the cap venting and the car didn't overheat becasue it "allowed it to run cooler" regardless of if that was becasue it was venting due to pressure and a crap cap and then overheating. Or if it was overaheating causing the cap to vent.

Slowing the flow made the issue go away for those running upright radiator and a low pressure cap in a position vulnerable to venting due to system pressure.

so there was a well known solution to stop you, i won't say "over heating", loseing all ya coolant, that worked for old style radiator and cap set ups. and you are saying becasue it worked Its WRONG wrong wrong wrong...

6) the OP is running a low pressure cap and has an upright radiator
7) providing quotes from companies who have a vested interest in selling their own kit based on thieir own appriasal of a situation does not necessarily mean that their apppriasal of the situation is correct it could mean that it is biased in order to sell more kit. I suspect as they are talking about systems built with 21st centrury knowledge and research, that if you do as they say, "buy our kit", all will be well. Most of us are not doing that.

I presume if i was to buy a full set up from the supplier you quote i would get a matched set of components, pump capacity, beautifully matched to a radiator where fin design, bore no. of passes and the material it is made from have been scientificlly tested for the best outcome. I'd get appropriate pipes with or without a spring dpending on their bore and material, and a themostat that provides in this case no restriction becasue the pump causes such a pressure difference that that chances of cavitation are reduced.

Basiclaly id be running a modern style radiator at a much higher pressure with its cap in a much less vulnerable position to avoid inadvertant venting, and i'd be pumping that coolant Damn fast. All would be well, it may well be the best cooling system ever... and i'd be really pleased with it, everything they say in their documents would be correct for my all NEW KIT

BUT the OP in the other thread is running a 1950s designed cooling system and he is spinning that pump way faster for sustained periods of time on the freeway with his drag race oriented gears.

applying 1 part of the theory discussed in your numerouse linked documents....
one advancement in thinking from the last 30 years and leaving that same old pump that same old stat and that same old radiator technology in place will not get the results he wants. he just wants to drive it down the freeway without a 2 gallon bucket of water in the trunk.

applying Modern thinking based on a new design of cooling system, that many of us will Never ever have, to every request for help from people running antiquated systems.
Then being so damn stroppy about it doesn't help any one, it just blows his thread out to 4 pages...

and you had the temerity to suggest i was being arrogant

lets look at this another way, If I applied those tiles they used on the space shuttle to the front of my valiant it doesn't mean i'd survive re entry

I'd need the suit and the rest of the bleeding kit to go with them...

I belive you are probably a very knowledgeable man I could learn a lot from you. But you are not gonna get the chance to pass that knowledge on unless you change your attitude.

that seems sad.

please note i never said you were wrong....!

Dave

I don’t know how old that tech page is. Maybe it’s 10 years old. Who knows.

What I do know is part of one part of one of the tech pages (I’m not going back through to see if what you quoted was part of or not) was discussing FLAT HEAD FORDS an what was done to them and why.

Like most things, what was done to the FHF (for good reason BTW) was wrongly applied to everything that came after it. And that’s exactly how **** like slowing coolant flow down keeps getting repeated.

I know you are looking for some thread to grasp to make slowing coolant flow down the correct thing to do but it is wrong.

My attitude is what it is because this same thing comes up on a regular basis and it gets damn old trying to educate and clean up the same error over and and over and over.

I could post another 20 links from 5 other manufacturers and you would quickly read them, pull out some quotes you think fit your myth and then spend 20 paragraphs defending the myth.

You will never learn because you refuse to accept that you won’t let go of the error.

And every time I see this error I will call it out.

There is a reason why guys are fighting cooling issues. One of them is not getting coolant and air flow correct. And that is get the coolant flowing as fast as you can (within reason…you have to keep the belt on and not have the mechanical fan explode if you use one) and do the same with air flow.

So…if someone wants to sit down and PLAN their cooling system (thats what should be done) this is what I would tell them to do.

1. Get the biggest 2 core radiator that will fit. It needs to be aluminum. Why? Because copper/brass may reject heat better than aluminum but what it can’t do is be made to is be made into shapes like 2 large (1 inch or bigger) cores and have enough strength. While you give up a BIT of thermal efficiency with aluminum, you gain that back and then some with it.

2. High flow water pump. I don’t care about the arguments about why the FSM says about how many blades with AC or non AC and all that. You want as many blades as you can get. The exception to that is the Flowkooler pumps because they use a different design. Either way, a quality high flow pump is a must.

3. A QUALITY high flow thermostat. IMO the best one (and only choice) is the Stewart Components thermostat. They are fully open by their rated temperature and they are very accurate. At the same time, you should be considering what temperature you want the engine to maintain. Again, my opinion is that any of the engines we discuss here should NEVER get over 180. Thats it. Any more than that and you are pissing away power. How so? You make the engine way more detonation prone. You can’t run as much compression. You end up retarding the timing to help reduce detonation, which can cause higher engine temperatures. If you want to run unorthodox compression ratios on pump gas then the goal should be 160 degrees and no more. You can run 12:1 (and probably a bit more if you are real careful and want to get your tune down to the gnats ***) on pump gas. Premium of course but it’s still pump gas. And that makes power. Everywhere. And driveability.

4. Fan selection. This is critical. I run a mechanical fan. I may try an electric fan down the road. If you are going to do an electric fan, make sure it’s a QUALITY fan, not some cheap assed junker. I hear the Ford Contour fans are what you’d want and that’s what I’ll try if and when I do it. For a mechanical fan, I use a stainless steel flex fan. I do not use any other. I have done testing in the past and what you save in HP from a thermostatic fan over a fixed fan you lose in temperature control. You need to move some air and I don’t like having the fan engage and disengage based on the temperature some engineer thought was best for a run of the mill engine.

5. To that end, you need to do whatever it takes to at least (at the VERY least) to find pulleys that are 1:1. The water pump should turn no slower than crank speed. Ever. Unless you are shifting at 8k plus RPM and you are worried about the fan exploding (you should be with an overdriven pump). Other than that, get the pump (and the fan if you have a mechanical one) as fast as practicable. I’m at 6% over and I’d love to double that.

If more people were educated in this area to the facts and science of it some of the companies that manufacture pulleys would make them. When I first started calling around to find pulleys every company said the same thing. We get one call for overdriven pulleys for every 200 calls we take for UNDERdriven pulleys. When guys still have bad thinking on this, why would anyone invest in pulleys to speed up the water pump?

The last thing is coolant. I know all the long hairs out there will say water is the best conductor of heat as a coolant medium. And it is. But the issue is my engines are expensive. And water (especially when it it heated and cooled hundreds and thousands of times during its life cycle) is corrosive to the block and heads.

Plus, I drive my junk year around so I need some protection from freezing. I have driven my car on days where the high temperature was in the high teens. Straight water will not allow that.

So you should be running something for winter and corrosion protection.

I am using Evans for several reasons (I’m not sponsored by them, I don’t get product for free and I’m not married to the owners daughter…all of which I’ve been accused of) and two of them are freezing and corrosion protection.

But a HUGE bonus is Evans coolant does not require system pressure to increase the boiling point of the coolant. You have have 220 degree coolant temperature and you can take the cap off while the engine is running and you won’t get burned half to death from hot coolant exploding out of the radiator. That right there should make you consider the product. From a pure safety standpoint.

There is also another bonus from running near zero system pressure and that is with near zero pressure (you may get 1, maybe 2 PSI but probably not) is the fact that it’s easier on the coolant lines, core plugs and even the head gaskets.

With near zero system pressure the load on those parts is significantly reduced. Running 14, 16 or 20 PSI as some guys do is harder on the hoses, core plugs and head gaskets.

If you follow these simple guidelines, you can drive your car right through downtown hell on the hottest day of the year and not have an issue.

Thanks, I currently run a 13lb cap.
That's what I run on my 75 F250 and I run a 9LB cap in Vixen. I lose no coolant out of either. There's just no need whatsoever to run a 15 or 16 LB cap, regardless of what a fifty plus year old service manual says. This is the 21st century and better ways have been figured out. No way am I going to put hard to find parts in my cooling system under any more stress than they already are. It makes zero sense.

Now That #21 was a lovely post, i got the best out of you.... thank you

and although you don't think i ever will, yes, of course I learned something. i had to read through the links to dig out something to pick at.. you gave me no choice. :)

my only gripe is still, and there has to be one i'm sorry, the geezer with the problem hasn't put the effort you are suggesting, for what i estimate to be very expensive engines, into his car cooling system, he's gone standard-ISH like an awful lot of us.

I like and run a 4 blade fixed fan it does the job, robust as hell, i run my aircon radiator with a standard cap and a standard thermostat and 12:1 CR on premium pump gas... i have no problems at 54* and none at 84* other than Hot vinyl seats.... i went for torque rather than hi rpm hence the choice of carburation. long crank motors like to lose flywheels at higher rpms
i have more in the carburation and intake than the machine work for my motor cost. its a 3 carb, port on port set up and it runs nice and cool. 1/3 to half on the gauge.

Now would you agree that the poster that kicked this off could have any from range of simple issues.
collapsed pipe, bad cap, bad tune, stuck advance **** fuel etc etc
and he might not need to convert to the kind of system you outline above. Pumping the coolant faster etc if he just fixed what is causing the cap to vent at a specific higher than stock RPM when it is held for a prolonged period of time on the freeway...

you've spent a lot of time telling me i'm wrong and actually you could have spent some of that time to give him some advice. its unlikley he will invest in a big 2 core ally radiator he's just had his standard one re-cored, and he poroably won't over or under drive anything becasue we confused the hell out of him, but you could abviously help with some thoughts on the matter, and you'll have 1 less in the world asking the same question. Or indeed one more in the world learning something new...

you sound like a great reource... but you keep kicking people in the nuts.
It can be nice to end the day smiling rather the cursing

i'm out of here, beer o'clock london time

Dave

1. stuart's offers some of the best cooling system info youll ever find, period!
2.stuart's sales top shelf cooling products, period!
3. if you gonna run a a thermostat, run a stuarts fail open stats! i dont see the need for one in most my cars!
4. electric fans ant as good as mechanical fan! why dont dirt track race cars run eletric set ups, cause thay wont keep engine cool, thay run a fixed 4 blade fan! its there go to set up cause its all that will work!!! on a street car i like a good flex fan too!
5. circle track racing is the only place youd ever want to slow down your pump/water flow! 1 to 1 pulley's what most run! on a street car id be looking for over drive pulley's if having heating issues!

-
Back