Cooper Cobra vs BFG Ta's on 2nd gen cuda

-
Gotta love the A60 Supra’s (and Celica GT-S) with the 225/60/14 tires. The drivers seat in them are one of the most comfortable too!
Super comfortable seats! Almost makes up for being so s-l-o-w :D Most of my muscle car buddies don't really get it. For me it's the strong 80s nostalgia, and and cool car is a cool car no matter who made it.

This pic is from when it had Coopers on the front and BFGs on the back; they are both P235/60R14. It has Coopers on the back now, and while they grip better then the BFGs, I can still find myself facing the wrong direction if I give it too much power in a corner. It's only 160 horsepower!

20240802_182410.jpg

Getting ready to swap the slots out for steelies and I’ll swap the white letters in. Coopers are better than the BFG for traction and comfort. The bfg has a better looking tread.

IMG_7603.jpeg

IMG_8233.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

IMG_8396.jpeg

I have not read most of this thread, but....
I would prefer cobras (or the mickey version, basically the same tire, with a better name on the side) to the bfg's at the same price point.
40 bucks per tire cheaper is an absolute no-brainer!

Exactly! I do what I can to ensure my tires don't age out before the tread is gone. At least for the rear tires.
Yup.... I put more miles on that most & having served in the Military in the 70's the rule was always "Smoke'm if ya got em"

Super comfortable seats! Almost makes up for being so s-l-o-w :D Most of my muscle car buddies don't really get it. For me it's the strong 80s nostalgia, and and cool car is a cool car no matter who made it.

This pic is from when it had Coopers on the front and BFGs on the back; they are both P235/60R14. It has Coopers on the back now, and while they grip better then the BFGs, I can still find myself facing the wrong direction if I give it too much power in a corner. It's only 160 horsepower!

View attachment 1716302903
Love it!! The angular lines (IMO) are awesome. Mine was red. Yours have the digital or analog dash?

For that era it had some not so common standard features (LSD, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, power antenna, that awesome drivers seat, IRS).

After the last set of BFG I ran, never again. They all leaked out the tread while sitting in a shed and were not that old. That was a 1996 set. I put Cobras on my old fastback, but sold it soon after so I cannot give any reviews on the tires. As for the Coopers being the "best bang for the buck" in tires out there today, that is laughable. Coopers are overpriced, but not as overpriced as BFG. Neither are a "performance" tire. I still haven't decided what I'm going to put on my cars, but 14" (GTS) and 15" (Barracuda) tires are slim pickings these days.

1967 Barracuda3.JPG

coopers BFG were garage 40 years ago have not improve with age , with BFG my dart spins the tires at 40 mph if i stomp on the gas got some Toyo tires on it now . I'd go Cooper for the street

Hi all, what's your opinion/comparison on these 2 different tires? I currently have 15" BFG on Cragar 5 spokes and love the looks, but I got a pair of 15" steelies for a different look, and will add dog dishes also.
It's almost $40 a tire cheaper for Cobras?
I still need to find steelies for the front, kinda look silly with steelies on the back and Cragars on front.
Thanks
Steve
Coopers are a good and popular tire, but I prefer the looks of the BFG. I had Coops on my car when I had steelies on it. When I swapped to Cragars, i went BFG. I don't dive my car in such a way that I could even tell a difference. The only thing I will say, is some BFG still have the Brown Wall issue. If you're doing white wall out, I'd go Cooper. This is just an opinion, no facts in the statement.

20240905_224420.jpg

My Cobras are black out on B-body. But that depends entirely on car and rims. (Plus advertising "Cobra" is not entirely "Old School." Lol.)

So sorry, not much help.

View attachment 1716302563
Agree. BFG have the history and look better for an old school look if you go white letter out. I prefer blackwall out for a clean look. Your car is beautiful.

Thanks, the brown lettering wouldn't be an issue, white tire marker and problem solved. I'm just trying to decide on the "look". I love the classic look the cuda has now, just want a more "aggressive" look.
Coopers are a good and popular tire, but I prefer the looks of the BFG. I had Coops on my car when I had steelies on it. When I swapped to Cragars, i went BFG. I don't dive my car in such a way that I could even tell a difference. The only thing I will say, is some BFG still have the Brown Wall issue. If you're doing white wall out, I'd go Cooper. This is just an opinion, no facts in the statement.

View attachment 1716303208

Agree. BFG have the history and look better for an old school look if you go white letter out. I prefer blackwall out for a clean look. Your car is beautiful.

One more thing. If you're buying either of these tires and mount them blackwall out you are wasting your money. Toyo, Kumho, and others make a much better tire for less money.

I run 225/60/15 Falkens on my 63 Valiant conv. Don't remember what they cost, but they were pretty reasonable.

I also run them on the front of my 67 Barracuda, with Nitto 275/60/15s on the rear. On the street or strip, I can give the Nittos full throttle from a dead stop without spinning the tires. Never been able to do that before, with street tires or with BF Goodrich drag radials.

15x7 wheels all around on the Valiant, 15x7s on the front of my 67, 15x8s on the rear.

I like Cragars. . . .

1726338624316.jpeg

1726338672414.jpeg

-
Back