Cooper Cobra vs BFG Ta's on 2nd gen cuda

-
And talking about old tires, I had a pair of 235/60/15 BF Goodriches on the front of my 64 Polara. Tread popped off the left front tire while the car was sitting in the garage. They looked brand new, but when I checked the date code and also the bill of sale, I found out they were 20 years old!

Other than that experience with 20 year old tires, I never had a problem with the BFGs. The TAs got to be really hard to get a while back, which is the reason I switched to Falken.

Thats an intelligent and helpful comment. Source? I've run both for years and there's no difference. Except for the white letter issue, but blackwall out Is the only way to fly anyway.
They are hard rubber
They double suck in the rain
They suck for traction
The letters brown and he likes them out
They are over priced
They look good the only thing on the plus side
Overall
bfgs suck
carry on

I went with the Coopers.

IMG_4664.JPG

My experience:

Good Year
Look great.
Perform great.
Don't last well.
Over priced.

BF Good Rich
Look Great.
Perform average to poor.
Mediocre on longevity.
Pricey.

Advanta
Look good, just not old school style.
Perform decent.
Longevity decent.
Price decent.

Nitto
Look good if you like "New School"
Perform very good.
Longevity average at best.
Pricey.

Cooper Cobra
Look decent.
Perform well.
Longevity is better than average.
Price better than average.

I still believe Cobras are the best bang for the $. But because lettering looks alittle off for classic muscle? I prefer black letters out. Especially on chrome style rims and/or dog dish.

JMO.

On my Duster I put BFG on new, ok tire, sitting in storage damn letters turned brown.

The same time I put MT on my vette, omg way better tires, more grippy way better tire, and cheaper. I think the MT are made by cooper now.

Hi all, what's your opinion/comparison on these 2 different tires? I currently have 15" BFG on Cragar 5 spokes and love the looks, but I got a pair of 15" steelies for a different look, and will add dog dishes also.
It's almost $40 a tire cheaper for Cobras?
I still need to find steelies for the front, kinda look silly with steelies on the back and Cragars on front.
Thanks
Steve
Hey there, 4spd. I went with Mickey Thompsons on my Demon. My only complaint is that the smallest they make for 15's is 215/70 and I would have preferred 205's. The do clear though and I felt that Mickeys actually reflect the era better. I believe they were cheaper than BFG's too but that was at the beginning of the summer.

Hey there, 4spd. I went with Mickey Thompsons on my Demon. My only complaint is that the smallest they make for 15's is 215/70 and I would have preferred 205's. The do clear though and I felt that Mickeys actually reflect the era better. I believe they were cheaper than BFG's too but that was at the beginning of the summer.
Good tire, made by Goodyear.

And talking about old tires, I had a pair of 235/60/15 BF Goodriches on the front of my 64 Polara. Tread popped off the left front tire while the car was sitting in the garage. They looked brand new, but when I checked the date code and also the bill of sale, I found out they were 20 years old!

Other than that experience with 20 year old tires, I never had a problem with the BFGs. The TAs got to be really hard to get a while back, which is the reason I switched to Falken.
I've had a front tire blow apart on my 62, just sitting. In california.
I've had three blow apart in Arizona, just sitting, due to the heat. None were t/a's tho. (No name skinny front on the 62, two Goodyear and a pepboys in az.

Good tire, made by Goodyear.
I had Sticky Mickey's bias tires on B-Bodies back in the day. I'd love to run the radials now. But, I don't think they make a street tire that will fit under front fenders the 2nd Gen Barracuda.

I vote for Coopers, I like the look and the ride. When the BFG’s I have time out, I’ll be switching to Coopers on the other cars too.

Coopers have better traction in all conditions, dry, wet, wet grass, etc.

BFG = basically friggen garbage. Those brown letters really seal the deal on these turds. They are not a top quality tire. I could never understand the entire car hobby and their love affair with the TA Radial. When I buy a car with them on I give them a try for a while and when I change them out I'm much happier With the car.

Their truck tires are better quality
It’s nostalgic for me. I lived through the transition to radial tires from original Goodyears. I lusted after TA’s but kept with cheaper then for lack of funds. Now I just want a day two look so I got a set of big and littles put on stock ralleys up front and 14 by 7 in back. May not like driving with them but I hope to be doing just that soon. I swapped the tires and wheels before I had the engine built or even seats and dash.

Last edited:
Lots of good info, still undecided as to which route to go, but I thought I would add that there will be limited "spirited" driving. Mainly a cruiser, BUT with 1 trip down the track to knock off the bucket list.
I asked Lori what she thought of steelies and dog dishes...NOPE, I don't like the dog "bowls" lol.:rolleyes:

Love it!! The angular lines (IMO) are awesome. Mine was red. Yours have the digital or analog dash?

For that era it had some not so common standard features (LSD, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, power antenna, that awesome drivers seat, IRS).

I agree, I love the lines, fender flares and the overall 80s vibe. After the mid-80s most cars started to look more and more like a worn out bar of soap. Unfortunately it's an analog dash, I would have loved to get a digital one. That digi dash is peak 80s awesomeness.

It was Toyota's halo car, so they stuffed everything they could into it (except horsepower :rolleyes: ). Maybe I'll fix that issue drop a 5.9 Magnum into it one day.
I shouldn't rag on the power so much, it's almost 1 hp per cubic inch which was very good for the time.

I agree, I love the lines, fender flares and the overall 80s vibe. After the mid-80s most cars started to look more and more like a worn out bar of soap. Unfortunately it's an analog dash, I would have loved to get a digital one. That digi dash is peak 80s awesomeness.

It was Toyota's halo car, so they stuffed everything they could into it (except horsepower :rolleyes: ). Maybe I'll fix that issue drop a 5.9 Magnum into it one day.
I shouldn't rag on the power so much, it's almost 1 hp per cubic inch which was very good for the time.
"Worn out bar of soap", love it

Whats funny is when I show a pic of my '75 AMC ( yes AMC) Hornet with the dog caps, ALL the comments is how I should buy some PRETTY wheels!!!! There is pretty and then there is Fancy Nancy (costs more!).

IMG_0309 - Copy.JPG

-
Back