D/Darts -- Info and requests

-

ddartdude

Reaction score
We'll start with the request first ---
A guy that I know is looking for info on a D/Dart that was raced at Dover Dragstrip.

This is from the request --- Trying to locate a 1966 Dodge D-Dart (white w/red interior), lettered 'Albany Dodge' that ran at Dover occasionally,
1966 = D/S
1967 = C/S
1968 = F/S

Also, any info on my car, "The Politician" would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me the info on the cars or reply to the thread.
Thanks..........Alan

Info ---
Mecum has 2 D/Darts (YES TWO) going up for auction in May. One is my old D/Dart that's gone across the block a few times already. The other is a Trans Am car that was raced by a guy named Dick Carter. He raced it in A-Sedan under the name of Johnny Dart because he was a Ford sponsored driver. The Ford that he raced was a 1966 Shelby GT350-R. That was raced in B-Production.

Thanks for pointing out the ClassRacer threads. I contributed to both of them. Both of my D/Darts were mentioned there.

Paul Ceasrine from that site is looking for info on the 'Albany Dodge' D/Dart that was raced at Dover.

Found out about Paul's request and the two D/Darts going on the block through a Bing.com search.

Locomotion -- where in Florida do you live? We're in Port St. Lucie
Alan

I'm over in Daytona. Been going to the IHRA season opener in Immokalee since they started and hope to be in Bradenton in April for their race. May race in Lakeland if the Southern Stock/SS Association schedules some there again.

I go to PBIR every now and then. Just as a spectator. Don't want to take the D/Dart out and maybe destroy it. After all, it's the first LO23 built by Chrysler and campaigned by Ted Spehar.

No info yet on either the 'Albany Dodge' D/Dart or 'The Politician'.

How about these two cars at Mecum. I think the Trans Am car will go for big bucks.....if anyone bids on it. They are both part of the Richard Ellis Collection. He has a lot of HIGH DOLLAR muscle cars going across the block.

Attachments

• 756695_320203447998_Original.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC03429---resized.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 605
I'm curious, always heard that these cars came with headers in the trunk. Does anybody have a picture of a D-Dart with those factory headers installed? If so please post, both sides if possible! Anybody know who made the headers?

I did not know the "D" Dart had GT trim!

Attachments

• 65 Dart in Summer of 2010 wheels up.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 65 rear side view summer 2008.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 404
Nice Look,

Now if Dodge (Chrysler) put a little more effort into this 1966 D/Dart Project, besides some
bolt-ons and a Camcraft Camshaft, maybe they wouldhave enjoyed more success.

Like, having 14" x 6" Cragars S/S wheels all the way around, a Hurst Shifter for damn sake,
maybe a special set of (Code 273-D/D) Cylinder Heads with bigger ports and a 1.84" Intake Valve,
special notched-block with O-Ringed deck, and an Aluminum Dual-Plane High-Rise Intake.

And for good measure, a low-profile hood scoop with manual cable control under the dashboard
to open-and-close an under hood slide-plate.

attachment.php

Nice Look,

Now if Dodge (Chrysler) put a little more effort into this 1966 D/Dart Project, besides some
bolt-ons and a Camcraft Camshaft, maybe they wouldhave enjoyed more success.

Like, having 14" x 6" Cragars S/S wheels all the way around, a Hurst Shifter for damn sake,
maybe a special set of (Code 273-D/D) Cylinder Heads with bigger ports and a 1.84" Intake Valve,
special notched-block with O-Ringed deck, and an Aluminum Dual-Plane High-Rise Intake.

And for good measure, a low-profile hood scoop with manual cable control under the dashboard
to open-and-close an under hood slide-plate.

attachment.php

I agree with you 69 cuda ..
some of the things they did back then didn't make any sense . what were they thinking... imo
and they were suppose to be the mopar garru's .
come on the chebbys and ferds were woopin there butts .

All D/Darts were GT's. Radio and rear seat belt delete. All white w/red interior. All bucket seats, non console 4-speeds, 4:86 gears. Doug's headers and a special y-pipe in the trunk. I believe they had to use the Inland shifter because of the reverse lockout -- a new Government standard for 1966 production cars. Cragar S/S's look nice but they don't make a car go faster.

When Chrysler developed the D/Dart, they were after the Musser Brothers 1961 Corvette which would be a D/S car in 1966. It just so happened that the 289 HIPO Mustangs also fell in this class. They were locked into the HP/WT rating so they were limited on how much more they could do to the engine.

At the time the D/Darts were hitting the dealerships, the Musser Brothers set some unreachable National Records.

I'm curious, always heard that these cars came with headers in the trunk. Does anybody have a picture of a D-Dart with those factory headers installed? If so please post, both sides if possible! Anybody know who made the headers?

The headers were made by Doug. Here are the actual 1966 D/Dart headers. For some reason, I only took pictures of the driver side. Took me all of 30 minutes to install these.

Attachments

• P1010332.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 387
  • P1010331.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 362
  • P1010325.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 370
  • P1010323.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 374
  • P1010104.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 371
  • P1010103.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 368
  • P1010102.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 384
  • P1010340.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 359
Great pics DDARTDude! These are really cool cars maybe im biased haha. It will be interesting to see those two at the auction. I hope they go for for some good money seeing how there were only 50 made.

Alan,

What are the size of those primary pipes,,,,,they look bigger than 1 5/8".

Did you know Mopar was thinking of lowering the 273 Horsepower Rating to 225 HP
in 1966, and also offer another Commando HP II.

* 273/225 Horsepower 'Commando'
* 283/240 Horsepower 'Commando HP'
* 273/275 Horsepower 'D/Dart'

Didn't know about them wanting to have the 225, 240 and 275 horsepower engines. The 240 was probably just a cam change. Glad that they didn't do the Commando and the Commando HP.

Just went out and measured the original D/Dart headers. They are 1.75 OD and the collectors are 3". The current ones that Doug's produces are 1 5/8 with a 2 1/2" collector. Might make it easier to mass produce. I think it took me about 30 minutes to put the headers in -- by myself. With all those pieces, it was easy. The original owner of my other D/Dart said he took them off because he was tired of hearing the exhaust leaks.
Alan

Alan

The 1965 273/235 'Commando' exhaust muffler was 'super low restriction',
which is damn near hollowed out.

Many complaints from the 1965 car purchasers that said the muffler was
'too' loud, and that the exhaust sound reverberated through the rear cargo
area trunk separation panel.

The 1966 exhaust muffller was more restrictive, which cut down the sound
and of course exhaust-flow efficiency.

Chrysler was also going to put a restriction-device on the Carter AFB (500 CFM)
carburetor, preventing full opening of the secondary throttle.

The 1966 273/235 HP would have been remarketed as a 273/225 Horsepower
'Commando', but as the basic 273 'High Performance'.

Didn't know about them wanting to have the 225, 240 and 275 horsepower engines. The 240 was probably just a cam change. Glad that they didn't do the Commando and the Commando HP.

Just went out and measured the original D/Dart headers. They are 1.75 OD and the collectors are 3". The current ones that Doug's produces are 1 5/8 with a 2 1/2" collector. Might make it easier to mass produce. I think it took me about 30 minutes to put the headers in -- by myself. With all those pieces, it was easy. The original owner of my other D/Dart said he took them off because he was tired of hearing the exhaust leaks.
Alan

Those headers are probably pretty easy to replicate given they are in so many pieces. Talking with a buddy of mine who raced 273's in junior Stock back in the day the 273 really responded to the 1 3/4" primary tubes. 1 7/8" was a bit much though.

Back in 1965/1966, the only header company that produced 'under-chassis' headers
for the small block A-Body Mopar was Doug.

Everybody else was producing fenderwell units with 1 5/8" diameter primary tubes
and 3" collector openings.

Doug Headers had a set of 'Tri-Y' Fenderwell units, that had 1 3/4" diameter 'primary pipes' that fed into
a set of 2" diameter 'secondary pipes'. Each section had a length of approximately 16". For
a total of 32". That was fed into a 3 1/2" diameter 'collector' which had a length of 8".

Back in 1965/1966, the only header company that produced 'under-chassis' headers
for the small block A-Body Mopar was Doug.

Everybody else was producing fenderwell units with 1 5/8" diameter primary tubes
and 3" collector openings.

Doug Headers had a set of 'Tri-Y' units, that had 1 3/4" diameter 'primary pipes' that fed into
a set of 2" diameter 'secondary pipes'. Each section had a length of approximately 16". For
a total of 32". That was fed into a 3 1/2" diameter 'collector' which had a length of 8".

Actually Cyclone produced a 13/4" fenderwell header back in the day

Cyclone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fenderwell only though...
Stahl Headers,,,,,,,Fenderwell
Hooker Headers,,,,,Fenderwell
Doug Headers.......Fenderwell and Under-Chassis

We got a set from Hooker in 1967. Fenderwell with 1 5/8" pipes and 3" collector.

Later, Heddman Headers made a 'two-piece' unit that was an under-chassis style,
with 1 5/8" pipes and 3" collector as well.

There was a company called Super/Stock Headers, that made a set of fenderwell units
with 1 5/8" diameter equal length 40" piping, with an 8" length and 3" diameter collector.
'Long-Tube'.

In late 1965 Chrysler had suggested 'two' 273 Commando engines,
with the old 273/235 HP going to 225 HP and a new Commando HP
rated at 240 HP.

I have to look for the article, but a different Carter AFB with
more CFM was added, and a slighly bumper Mechanical Camshaft.

Intake manifold was the same, as was all of the 'internals'.

Late-1965 Article with Chrysler Performance.

1966 273/240 Horsepower 'Commando HP'

Carburetor - Carter AFB #4130 (575 CFM)
These Carter AFB's had the same Primary and Secondary throttle bore sizes as the
500 CFM AFB used on the 273 Commando, but the Venturi's (Primary and Secondary)
were stepped up in sizes.

Commando HP Camshaft
* .440 Lift ~ 260* Duration ~ 42* Overlap = (Mechanical Camshaft)

Stock 273 Commando Camshaft
* .425 Lift ~ 248* Duration ~ 26* Overlap = (Mechanical Camshaft)

I would imagine, the 1966 273 Commando HP would have been equipped with the
1965 low-restriction hollowed out muffler also.

DDartdude: thanks for the pictures and the tube size info - it was just what I was looking for!!!

Did you guys see this pic on the Vintage Dealership Photo post????? Very Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

attachment.php

1966 Dodge D-Dart

Ralph Costa ran in 1966 (D/S) and 1967 (C/S).

The D/Dart was classed in 1968 (F/Stock).

For 1968, Ted also put together a 1967 Barracuda 'Fastback' 383/270 HP for G/Stock.
Don't think it has ever been shown....

RalphCosta66dart.jpg

-
Back